Connection to VPN connected, but not able to view files

jfa...@focalupright.com

Aug 5, 2015, 2:41:53 PM8/5/15
to tunnelblick-discuss
I've got a remote salesman that's having an issue with logging into our shared network via Tunnelblick on his Mac.  We have the configuration set up and successfully are able to connect to the VPN, but when we try to access the files it gives the following error:

We have had some power outages in the past week due to lightning storms but everyone inside the company is accessing files without any issues.  We have verified connectivity but for whatever reason this problem persists.  If anyone has any tips to help troubleshoot I would appreciate it.

jkbull...gmail.com

Aug 5, 2015, 3:02:26 PM8/5/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, jfa...@focalupright.com
Some questions and ideas:

Was the salesman able to access the files before (so this is new behavior), or is this a new setup?

Are others able to access the files while using the VPN? (Others using Tunnelblick? Others using Windows?)

Can the salesman, when connected to the VPN, "ping" the file server using its IP address? ("ping" doesn't use the OS X standard DNS resolution, so results from "ping" by name can be misleading.)

Have the salesman put a check in both
"Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN" on the "While Connected" tab of Tunnelblick's "Advanced" settings window.
and
"Check if the apparent public IP address changed after connecting" on the "Connecting & Disconnecting" tab of Tunnelblick's "Advanced" settings window.
The combination of the two checks will let Tunnelblick make some additional tests which can reveal DNS problems.

The power outages could have caused crashes of equipment like routers which could affect getting into the internal network from outside, even though from inside everything is OK.

Take a look at the salesman's Tunnelblick log (or better yet, the "diagnostic info" from the "Copy Diagnostic Info to Clipboard" button; see Before You Post).