OAuth do not redirect to callback URL

Ben

Mar 1, 2016, 11:40:42 AM3/1/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi.

I'm a iOS app developer using Tumblr API.

I have a issue related to OAuth authentication.
When user enters id and password at the login web view, OAuth do not redirect to callback URL but just redirects to Tumblr dashboard web page.

This problem occurs only in following cases.
1. When using iPhone on iOS 7. => every time whenever try to login. iPad do not have this problem.
2. In rare case, some user reports this issue on latest iOS (9.2.1 currently) => We fail to reproduce it but some user report to us.

Most of our users have no problem with OAuth login. Troubled users are very small but we can not ignore them.

Please, help me regarding this issue.

Ben

Mar 1, 2016, 7:12:37 PM3/1/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
(edit)
Above occurring cases are not correct.
It's not always the problem with iPhone on iOS 7.
I have failed to find the exact condition when this problem occurs. But it seems to be related with input focus.

Michael Ceyko

Mar 9, 2016, 10:47:56 AM3/9/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi Ben,

We've looked into this a bit and have not been able to reproduce this issue either. This is also the first such report we've heard. You might want to check your /oauth/request_token request, and see if you're passing in a different oauth_callback there. We will otherwise use the callback url provided for your app under https://www.tumblr.com/oauth/apps.

Regards,
-Mike Ceyko

Ben

Mar 9, 2016, 10:56:38 PM3/9/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi, Michael.

I'm so glad to receive a reply.

I found a clue for this mysterious problem. I have a iPhone 4 device on iOS 7.1.4, which always causes this problem. As some days of struggling, I found a temporary, strange solution.

When oauth login page appears, tap the upper tumblr logo (in fact, upper region). Before the tap, no input focus exists and therefore keyboard do not appear. After tapping the logo, email input field will get focused and keyboard will appear.

By above method, we can get correct callback url. If get focused by tapping the email input focus, it redirects to tumblr site.

In addition to this issue, the email input field of the oauth login page has a problem. When tapping the field to focus, it loses focus automatically. After 3 times of re-focus, focus remains. This is a more problem to older/slow device.

Michael, thank you for your time and interest in this issue. I'm just looking forward to receive another reply.

Santiago Beltramone

Apr 21, 2016, 6:05:17 PM4/21/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi Ben, we are having exactly the same issues, could you find a workaround for this? I imagine we can hack a little the uiwebview, but its not a really stable solution....
This happens using SFSafariViewController, and the WKWebView too, right?

Michael, any suggestion?

stephen....@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 6:29:21 PM4/21/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
I also periodically see this issue. I can't pin it down--I test pretty obsessively, and I'm surprised the folks at Tumblr can't reproduce it. I see it happen pretty frequently, maybe 10% of the time. It causes some pretty profound confusion in users, and also gets pretty messy when the user tries to go back into our app and tries to connect to Tumblr again...

Ben

Apr 27, 2016, 11:43:11 AM4/27/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi guys.
I've still got no answer.
But, as a temporary solution, I have found a weird workaround.

2016년 3월 2일 수요일 오전 1시 40분 42초 UTC+9, Ben 님의 말:

Michael Ceyko

Apr 27, 2016, 1:59:39 PM4/27/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hey all,

I've personally tried replicating this issue a few more times and have still been unsuccessful. I have even used Ben's app, Fastfeed, on an iPhone 4S to try to get as close to the original conditions as possible. Out of about ten attempts - some with bad password requests, some with captchas, some immediately correct - 100% have succeeded.

When you have encountered this yourself, after you enter you email and tap "Next", which of the following do you see?
(a) Your email pre-filled in the first field, then an empty field for "Password"; or
(b) Your email pre-filled in the first field, then an empty field for "Password", then an empty field for "Username"

To continue investigation on our end, we will need some additional information from everyone about a way to reliably reproduce this issue. There must be something different happening in the flows that encounter this problem.

Regards,
Mike Ceyko

Ben

Apr 27, 2016, 9:36:33 PM4/27/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi Michael.

My case is (a). It's a sign-in.

I can agree that it's not easy to find the exact condition for reproducing this issue because it occurs rarely at the specific devices. (in my case, only on iPhone, not iPad, and at the very slow device.)
The result of this issue is this: 'sign-in' is successful but 'redirect' is not working - no redirect response. So, from the point of oAuth, this sign-in is useless without redirect. It may require more reliable way for oAuth redirection.