Exporting Media from Tumblr API

Turlur

Mar 8, 2017, 5:45:31 PM3/8/17
to Tumblr API Discussion
I am working on a WordPress plugin which accesses social platforms, including Tumblr. The idea of the plugin is to allow users to import content from social platforms, for the purposes such as the discussion, sharing, linking to, etc. The plugin does NOT access the Tumblr Api in any automated sense. For every api call to Tumblr, there is at least one human action explicitly intended for the operation of the Tumblr API.

When a user submits content to the WordPress site using my plugin, via the Tumblr Api, the tumblr post data is stored into a WordPress post, including any links to media. I'm wondering when and if it is acceptable under any circumstances, to download media provided from the API, such as thumbnails, full resolution images, or video data.

My plugin has a feature to incrementally check the status of any imported content, on the actual platform to which it exists, every so often. So if someone submits a post to the WordPress site, via the Tumblr Api, and then the post is later deleted on Tumblr, the WordPress plugin has reactive settings to this situation, such as deleting the imported Tumblr data, or or to at least remove it from public view.

The purpose of my plugin is to maintain a relationship with social api's, to have dynamic content inserted into the WordPress site, that can be found later if it doesn't exist anymore. It's meant for users or the WordPress site to be able to submit their own content, or under the plugin conditions, the content of others as well.

At first I considered importing only thumbnails, alongside with this "dead link checker" system, to validate every 1-3 days, of the post is still existent. But I know that if I do this, users are likely to question if I could import full resolution images, and then if that, likely videos. Instead of waiting for users to request features that might not be allowed, I wanted to understand them now.

I'm willing to make many options available in my plugin, so that the import of any media via the Tumblr Api only occurs under moral conditions, as per the terms of acceptable use, etc. Like, someone might make this plugin to only import content that they have created themselves on Tumblr, and not others, etc.

Thanks! And I hope that I have been concise and to the point.

Michael Ceyko

Mar 21, 2017, 10:28:41 AM3/21/17
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi Turlur,

Unfortunately, I am not a lawyer and thus cannot answer these questions.

Your application must abide by the entirety of the API Agreement, as well as the Terms of Service, the Community Guidelines, and all other Tumblr Policies, such as those specified in section 3a of the API Agreement.

Regards,
Mike Ceyko