Tumblr api rate limit

archana chowdary

Oct 6, 2016, 4:32:37 AM10/6/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi guys,

                  I have searched web and tumblr doc to know the extract rate limit for any tumblr API but i could not find any reference.I would like to know how many calls i.e quota or spike arrest assigned to a tumblr API call .How  do you limit api calls based on user token or at application level. I would to know the exact limit because i want to monitor calls from my application  and stop them before hitting the limit.I have seen that follow,followers,following apis have headers to do that .What about rest of the apis in version 2?

Michael Ceyko

Oct 6, 2016, 12:21:54 PM10/6/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hey Archana,

As you have seen, there are a few routes for which we do advertise the rate limit in the response, such as following. Unfortunately, other than these routes, we do not currently publish exact rate limits, as we adjust them depending on numerous factors such as the spam profile of the consumer/requester. As long as you're following the API Terms, you should have at least a couple thousand requests per hour. However, these numbers are not contractual and are subject to change without notice. You should build your app around the presence of 429 responses, rather than any particular rate limit.

If you are running into some specific rate limiting issues you can contact us privately via the email address at the top of the docs page and we can look into it further.

Regards,
Mike Ceyko