Animated GIF being uploaded as static

Calipoop

Oct 8, 2015, 12:20:43 AM10/8/15
to Tumblr API Discussion
Using the API to post an animated gif via data and data64 both result in a static image (first frame).  When I upload the same animated gif directly through the dashboard, it's animated correctly.  Also, using the Twitter API to post the same animated GIF works fine.

Is there a rule I missed?  I thought animated GIFs were allowed - is this not true if using the API?

Thanks in advance!

Calipoop

Oct 8, 2015, 1:02:08 AM10/8/15
to Tumblr API Discussion
Update - it appears there's a 2 meg limit on animated GIFs when uploaded via API?

Did Tumblr just forget to remove this limit?  The API says the limit should be 10 megs.

The animated GIF I'm trying to upload is about 2.5 megs.  Uploading the same GIF via dashboard works fine.

Also, I tested API uploading a 5-meg still JPG and it works fine.  Do animated GIFs really have their own 2 meg cap when uploading via API?

matteo bononi

Apr 6, 2016, 3:45:11 AM4/6/16
to Tumblr API Discussion
The file limit is 2MB both via API or via dashboard, if you post a gif larger than 2MB, it will be displayed as static.
actually I'm checking if the file is larger than 2100000 bytes which appear to be the very limit.
the 10MB thing is for galleries, the entire group of files must be smaller than 10MB (and each one smaller than 2MB).