Empty Dashboard response

Sirius Ad

Dec 15, 2015, 1:38:16 AM12/15/15
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi !

Having been tinkering with the API for a while now.
I have a problem with getting the dashboard.

When I sign-in (using OAuth) with the account I created the app from, the dashboard is returned fine. For every other account, I get an empty dashboard response. All the other OAuth based API seems to be working fine for all my accounts (I tested getting likes, following a blog, searching tags, et cetera).

Here is the empty dashboard response :

"{"meta":{"status":200,"msg":"OK"},"response":{"posts":[]}}"

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Michael Ceyko

Dec 16, 2015, 11:14:56 AM12/16/15
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hey Sirius,

It sounds like you just might not have anything on your dashboard to me. Can you confirm that you are following blogs on the account that is exhibiting his behaviour, via the /v2/user/following route?

Regards,
-Mike

Sirius Ad

Dec 17, 2015, 5:41:28 AM12/17/15
to Tumblr API Discussion
Hi Mike!

Thank you for responding. Turns out you are right!

The accounts I made to test the API were both newly created and did not follow any blogs (The account which did not get an empty /v2/user/dashboard response was my original account where I do follow blogs).
As soon I as I followed a blog, /v2/user/dashboard returned a correct JSON :)

On a side note, a new account does seem to follow 'staff' by default (/v2/user/following returns total_blogs as 1), but I wonder why a dashboard is not returned for staff posts.

Thanks a ton for helping me out.

Looking for ways to generate a 'trending' dashboard when a new user (that does not follow any blogs) signs up through the app.
Let me know if you have happen to have any cool ideas on that :)

Cheers,
Sirius :)