Tsuru and Fluentd

George Moura

Jan 6, 2016, 1:04:50 PM1/6/16
to tsuru
I am running Tsuru on Google Compute Engine and I am using google-fluentd to get my syslog. In tsuru logging docs you talk about external log aggregator and in Docker logging docs, he talk about fluentd logging driver.

My questions:

1 - If I set env vars TSURU_FLUENTD_SERVER and TSURU_FLUENT_PORT, tsuru will send the log to fluentd
2 - How I set whithout install packages in app like (fluent-logger for python or fluent-logger gem)

Thanks

Cezar Sá Espinola

Jan 7, 2016, 7:44:50 AM1/7/16
to tsuru...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Unfortunately we do not support sending logs directly to fluentd yet. Only syslog is supported.

Also, the tsuru documentation page you linked is outdated, sorry for that I'll fix it later today. The current way of specifying how application logs will be handled is through tsuru/bs and the "tsuru-admin bs-env-set" command is used to configure log options. See https://github.com/tsuru/bs#environment-variables for more details.

Having all logs routed through tsuru/bs allow us to demux log messages to many different backends. Allowing logs to go both to tsuru (enabling tsuru app-log command) and one or many syslog servers for permanent storage.

Basically what we have is something like:

[app container]+----->[bs]+---->[syslog 1]

                          +---->[syslog n]

                          +---->[tsuru api]

It's somewhat simple to add a new fluentd log backend to tsuru/bs by implementing the log.logBackend but it's not currently on our roadmap. If you want to look further into this just let me know and I can give you some pointers.

Best,

Cezar Sá Espinola

George Moura

Jan 7, 2016, 9:24:05 PM1/7/16
to tsuru
Thanks for reply Cezar, I want implement fluentd. Thanks for your help, I go to analyze how to implement it.

George Moura

Jan 8, 2016, 6:41:44 AM1/8/16
to tsuru
Cezar,

It's possible send containers logs to my server's syslog (not a syslog server, but the file "/var/log/syslog")? If yes how I do it? I have lower knowledge in this subject.

I tried this config first, but the tentative failed, I imagined that wold happen.

TSURU_SYSLOG_FACILITY=local0
TSURU_SYSLOG_PORT=514
TSURU_SYSLOG_SERVER=localhost
TSURU_SYSLOG_SOCKET=tcp

google-fluentd get the log from syslog machine

Thanks