Zipped module

Cédric Krier

May 23, 2011, 11:08:36 AM5/23/11
to tryton
Hi,

When writing this fix [1], I came across code of file_open (in tools/misc.py)
where there is some code to manage zipped modules.
This feature comes from OpenERP (I developped it) with the goals to manage
installation of module from within the client. Of course, we did not take this
part of the code for obvious security reasons.
Now, I think it is time to remove this code to enforce the usage of proper
Python installation (with easy_install or pip).
More over, I think it will increase a little bit the boot time of the server.

What is your thoughts ?

[1] http://hg.tryton.org/trytond/rev/2b1deeccc838

--
Cédric Krier

B2CK SPRL
Rue de Rotterdam, 4
4000 Liège
Belgium
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Udo Spallek

May 23, 2011, 11:35:52 AM5/23/11
to tryto...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am Montag, den 23.05.2011, 17:08 +0200 schrieb Cédric Krier:
> Hi,
> When writing this fix [1], I came across code of file_open (in tools/misc.py)
> where there is some code to manage zipped modules.
> This feature comes from OpenERP (I developped it) with the goals to manage
> installation of module from within the client. Of course, we did not take this
> part of the code for obvious security reasons.
> Now, I think it is time to remove this code to enforce the usage of proper
> Python installation (with easy_install or pip).
> More over, I think it will increase a little bit the boot time of the server.
> What is your thoughts ?

We do not use this feature and I do not see any benefit for it. For me, you can
remove the installation of zip files.

Cheers
--
Udo Spallek

------------------------------------
virtual things
Preisler & Spallek GbR
Munich - Aix-la-Chapelle

Windeckstr. 77
81375 Munich - Germany
Tel: +49 (89) 710 481 55
Fax: +49 (89) 710 481 56

in...@virtual-things.biz
http://www.virtual-things.biz

Jan Grasnick | Grasbauer UG

May 23, 2011, 12:42:30 PM5/23/11
to tryto...@googlegroups.com
Am 23.05.2011 17:35, schrieb Udo Spallek:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 23.05.2011, 17:08 +0200 schrieb C�dric Krier:
>> Hi,
>> When writing this fix [1], I came across code of file_open (in tools/misc.py)
>> where there is some code to manage zipped modules.
>> This feature comes from OpenERP (I developped it) with the goals to manage
>> installation of module from within the client. Of course, we did not take this
>> part of the code for obvious security reasons.
>> Now, I think it is time to remove this code to enforce the usage of proper
>> Python installation (with easy_install or pip).
>> More over, I think it will increase a little bit the boot time of the server.
>> What is your thoughts ?
> We do not use this feature and I do not see any benefit for it. For me, you can
> remove the installation of zip files.
>
> Cheers
And sometimes I was wondering why my changes not causing any effect -
because I zipped a module for staging reasons in the modules folder ;)
Jan

Sharoon Thomas

May 23, 2011, 4:26:24 PM5/23/11
to tryto...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

+1 for removal
--
Sharoon Thomas
Business Analyst & Open Source ERP Consultant