Status Update 4

ShaneD53

Oct 13, 2013, 11:07:29 PM10/13/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com
Greetings everyone! And welcome to the fourth status update!
First off,  Adam one of our lead developers has been working hard on milestone 1 soon to release,
he's been in the process of adding more rooms and even a spaceship into our tech demo!
You can check it out here: http://www.twitch.tv/adam4813/c/3065551

Secondly, Sigma the framework for Trillek's engine is now able to display proper web pages!

And finally, Adam is also currently working on adding collision detection to the tech demo getting it ready for a very soon release!

Until next time,

Shane Dalton
Project Lead

Oliver Caldwell

Oct 14, 2013, 5:35:02 AM10/14/13
to ShaneD53, tri...@googlegroups.com
Also worth mentioning:

If anything is still missing, feel free to link to it here!

Miles Rout

Oct 15, 2013, 7:12:20 AM10/15/13
to Oliver Caldwell, ShaneD53, tri...@googlegroups.com
I'm not involved with this project anymore, BUT I should remind you
that the main reasons behind using a DCPU-16 instead of something like
ARM or (god forbid) x86 is that it's *really* simple (which makes it
much more accessible) and that it's not possible for people to just
port "real" software straight in - it forces players to develop their
own software ecosystem.

Just food for thought, and something you might have forgotten while
thinking about things like 8086. It's also a lot, lot, lot faster to
emulate. Sure, the guy has got something working and booting. But can
he get 10,000 CPUs emulated at once on a normal desktop computer?

Mark Norton

Oct 15, 2013, 9:03:02 AM10/15/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com, Oliver Caldwell, ShaneD53

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:12:20 AM UTC-4, Miles Rout wrote:
But can he get 10,000 CPUs emulated at once on a normal desktop computer?

It might be worth pointing out that it might not need to be emulated.  Multi-core computer environments are common now.  Assign an x86 compatible CPU core to in-game tasks.  It might even be done locally, on the client machine, rather than centrally on the server.

- mjn

gumdropsan...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 2:04:08 PM10/15/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com
"Milestone 1 to the above specification is due on or before 15OCT13, with each additional milestone tentatively scheduled for the 15th of each successive month. New milestones will be added as each is finished, and the next milestone on the to-do list described within 72 hours prior to the due date of the current milestone."

Are we late?

Miles Rout

Oct 16, 2013, 12:07:05 AM10/16/13
to Mark Norton, tri...@googlegroups.com, Oliver Caldwell, ShaneD53
> --

8086 is so old now that you pretty much are emulating it, even when
running it natively.

Doing it locally on the client? Oh yeah, that's secure. /sarcasm. This
sort of thing has been discussed before and dismissed for good reason
- there's no point bringing it up against.

adam....@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 1:08:49 AM10/16/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com, gumdropsan...@gmail.com
Yes running a day late due to unforeseen issues getting the binary to run on alternate Win32 PCs. The issue has been resolved and I just need to get it packaged up nicely with a bow on top.

Luis Panadero Guardeño

Oct 16, 2013, 1:16:31 AM10/16/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com, Oliver Caldwell, ShaneD53
As I know, actually we are contemplating more possibility. I was asked about doing 16 and 32 bit, RISC and CISC CPUs that I did. In particular, the 32 bit RISC cpu is equally simple that the DCPU-16 and more easy to program an emulator, as nearly 80% of instructions only operates over registers. Also, there is the suggestion of using Beta, a MIT RISC like CPU of 32 bits designed for teach computer architecture to students.

Dani Kayda

Oct 16, 2013, 1:32:10 PM10/16/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com, gumdropsan...@gmail.com, adam....@gmail.com
Cool, I was talking more about the next milestone though - were we planning on fleshing that out soon?

kages...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2013, 12:55:16 AM10/17/13
to tri...@googlegroups.com
I'll be fleshing out Milestone 2 as soon as we're ready with Milestone 1.