Yangon will be… the Charleston or the Boston of the Orient

Nyi Nyi ℠

Feb 11, 2015, 4:23:05 AM2/11/15
to travelmyanmar

Shepherding a flock of tourists through the traffic-congested streets of Yangon, formerly known as Rangoon, a local tour guide shouts over the roar of oncoming vehicles.

Here, on Bogolay Zay Street amid the moss-covered, weather-stained, early-20th Century facades in the historic centre of the city, the history of the colonial buildings that make up old Rangoon, once the capital of Burma, begins to come into focus.

To the right, the former residence of famed Chilean poet, Pablo Neruda; to the left, one can still see the signage for the Young Women's Christian Association, circa 1902.

In the distance is the city's most iconic building - The Secretariat - where General Aung San, the metaphorical father of modern Myanmar and actual father of Nobel laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, was assassinated in 1947.

Read more on BBC
http://m.bbc.com/news/business-31146066

Don Gilliland

Feb 11, 2015, 10:18:58 PM2/11/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Good article. Thanks for posting the link!

Yangon needs to do everything it can to preserve those historic buildings. Tourists love seeing old architecture like that, and that will continue to be a positive thing for the country if they can preserve the buildings. But I fear the greedy developers will ruin some of the beauty or destroy many of these old buildings.

thaungthwee

Feb 12, 2015, 7:03:34 AM2/12/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Too late !!!

Sent from Samsung Mobile.

Thomas Latt

Feb 13, 2015, 2:07:55 AM2/13/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Yangon will remain as an old town district as its outskirts offer
proper infrastructures, facilities and car parks.. not more than next
ten years.

On 2/12/15, thaungthwee <thaun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Too late !!!
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile.

~ AATO ~
*My Asia ~ My Territory *

louis

Feb 13, 2015, 8:47:41 AM2/13/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
TALLING ABOUT NONSENSE,, !!

On 2/12/15, thaungthwee <thaun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Too late !!!
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile.

*Luigi Thaung Thwee*

Forever Green Bamboo Travelling and Trading Co.,Ltd*
No.51, 22- VIP Quarter, ShwePauKan,
Nord Okkalapa township,
Yangon,Myanmar

www.birmania.altervista.org,