FMI seeks spot in busier skies

Nyi Nyi ®

Apr 30, 2015, 5:33:28 AM4/30/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Two more airlines – FMI Air and Apex Airlines – have begun regular flights this year, bringing the number of domestic airlines to 10. That’s about the same number of airlines as Thailand, though they differ significantly in passenger levels – the World Bank says Thailand had 40 million passengers in 2013, to Myanmar’s 1.8 million.

While some have said the sector is leaning toward airlines merging or buying each other out to reduce the number, there is not necessarily a business case.

“Everyone talks about consolidation, consolidation, consolidation, but on the other hand most of the airlines here have different business plans. Ours is certainly different from anybody else’s, so why would we consolidate? We have one business plan, they have another, then what do you do?” he said.

“From an airline’s standpoint, it would make more economic sense to have fewer airlines,” said Mr Nobles. “From a customer’s standpoint, it’s perfectly comfortable this way. The market will decide.”

Read full story on Myanmar Times