How Not to Get Scammed While Shopping Abroad

Nyi Nyi ®

Aug 18, 2015, 7:22:29 AM8/18/15
to Travel Myanmar (Tourism information, activities, idea exchange inside Burma)

Looking to buy something on your next trip out of the country? Make sure you love it for its own sake, and carry or ship it yourself.

Q: I visited Mr. Kyi & K Antique & Decorative Art, a shop in Yangon, Myanmar, and bought a painting for $2,600. The shop has been written up with good reviews. The large painting was described to me by Mr. Kyi himself as “from a monastery in the Shan state of Myanmar, at least 200 years old.” His written quote states this as well. Because Mr. Kyi was very clear in pointing out pieces in his shop that were and were not old/antique, I believed his description of the piece, which is why I decided to purchase it when I returned home.

When the painting arrived after shipment (approximately $500 after customs and import fees), I was troubled when I examined it more closely, as it appeared to have a dark substance applied to it. I emailed Mr. Kyi, but his answer did not satisfy me, so I took it to a painting authority, a gentleman who used to be a restoration expert at a museum. He was able to say, “with 100 percent certainty,” that the painting was recently made. The dark substance as well as other aspects were indicative of a fake, and a poor one.

I wrote Mr. Kyi about the problem. When confronted, he did not dispute the age of the painting and claimed it is still unique and valuable. He offered anything I want in his shop for free the next time I return to Myanmar. I do not have any trips planned to Myanmar. Even if I did, I am doubtful Mr. Kyi would resolve this in person—he refused other solutions, including a partial refund, returning the item, or shipping another item I had seen at his shop. Can you help?—Allen B., Knoxville, TN

Read more on
Condé Nast Traveler

Thomas Latt

Aug 18, 2015, 11:42:36 PM8/18/15
to travel...@googlegroups.com
an unlucky victim who entered a cage of ugly old fox..

Sent from Samsung Mobile