Barriers to entry for advanced transit systems

Jerry Schneider

Feb 2, 2012, 8:13:14 PM2/2/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

>Excellent TRB presentation by Sam Lott, a very experienced
>transportation consultant who offers copious advice on this highly
>important topic. Link provided at:
>http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/whatsnew.htm

I'd be interested in comments on this presentation - there are
several barriers that deserve attention and provide a lot of fodder
for discussion. Is there anyone out there who has an interest in this topic?

What's been left out (if anything)? What kind of evolutionary
strategy might help to overcome some of these barriers? What are the
roles of test tracks and simulations? Are the available demand
forecasting models capable of producing decent patronage forecasts in
relation to competing, existing modes? What are the likely land use
impacts of PRT networks and station location strategies? Why do
streetcars appear to have "traction" while PRT is still in a holding
pattern? Is his framework of the various actors and stakeholders
adequate or could it be improved? And so on. No need to be bashful.

- Jerry Schneider -
Innovative Transportation Technologies
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans

Jack Slade

Feb 2, 2012, 9:51:30 PM2/2/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I am unable to get my PC operating properly,  to navigate the whole site.
From what do see,  he is probably right about a lot of conclusions,  but some  such "Bart and LRT serving whole areas whereas PRT only serves one District" for the same money, ( not exact wording)  shows that he does not fully understand what he is talking about.

It might help if someboby like him joined this list and give us a chance to do a little convincing.
I also think he is right that progress will come when the people with money get in the game. My problem with this goes back to what Raytheon did to Dr Anderson's plan....the money person wants complete control,  doesn't follow the plan because he is sure he is smarter,  or knows better,  and screws everything up.

I recommend that anybody Incorporating retain 51% control,  or this may happen every time.
More later, when I get my PC fixed.

Jack Slade

--- On Fri, 2/3/12, Jerry Schneider <j...@peak.org> wrote:
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

Dennis Manning

Feb 2, 2012, 10:58:10 PM2/2/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I think the barriers to PRT are best expressed in the well know Machiavelli
quote:

"And let it be noted that there is no more delicate matter to take in hand,
nor more dangerous to conduct, nor more doubtful in its success, than to set
up as a leader in the introduction of changes. For he who innovates will
have for his enemies all those who are well off under the existing order of
things, and only the lukewarm supporters in those who might be better off
under the new. This lukewarm temper arises partly from the fear of
adversaries who have the laws on their side and partly from the incredulity
of mankind, who will never admit the merit of anything new, until experience
proves its value."

and lesser known one by John Maynard Keynes:

"The real difficulty in changing any enterprise lies not in developing new
ideas but in escaping from old one."

and one more for good measure. Henry Ford:

"If I ask my customers what they really wanted they would say a faster
horse."

So a thought or two. Sam went really easy on his fellow consultants as to
how they form a barrier. Sam can't escape his past 30 years working in APM
industry as is shown by clinging to GRT. Sam didn't include the ""Public"
as one of the stakeholders. I presume he hasn't had much experience in
ginning up public support for a new technology.

In Sam's defense he has shown more interest and sensitivity toward PRT than
the vast majority of his fellow consultants, and on that basis I welcome his
contribution.

Dennis

Feb 2, 2012, 11:19:34 PM2/2/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry

BTU per passenger mile is totally missing.  NOx pollution per passenger mile CO2, CO, formaldehyde etc.  The gains of small all electric renewable energy sources is not mentioned unless I missed it.  The coming oil crisis is not mentioned.   This needs to show why all this would matters.  Why is key.  The case has to be made even though it is implied.

Street car builders and "engineering" firms like Parsons Brinckerhoff pay to play.

Jerry Roane

kirston henderson

Feb 3, 2012, 10:55:40 AM2/3/12
on 2/2/12 7:13 PM, Jerry Schneider at j...@peak.org wrote:

> Why do streetcars appear to have "traction" while PRT is still in a holding
> pattern? Is his framework of the various actors and stakeholders adequate or
> could it be improved? And so on. No need to be bashful.

Streetcar history goes all of the way back to the days of horse-drawn
streetcars and a lot of people simply can't get them our of their heards.

Kirston Henderson

Richard Gronning

Feb 3, 2012, 11:00:32 AM2/3/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I've always said that streetcars/trollies/LRT would attract far more
riders if they put horses back as the pullers.

Dennis Manning

Feb 3, 2012, 11:28:45 AM2/3/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Feb 3, 2012, 11:37:34 AM2/3/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Richard

I believe you are right.  Many towns have horse drawn carriages as a tourist attraction.  The feeling it emits is of stability since you know the future from the distant past up till the present.  (because you are alive you made it)  Listening to the hooves is soothing and the animals are magnificent to view.  Antique towns and fake antique towns need horses for the feeling of stability they subconsciously exude.    Perhaps in the multi-modal transportation model part of the trip could be by horse or carriage.  That would be fun.  Certainly more fun that riding a bus and transferring to a train then to a bus.

I could see a coral next to a TriTrack down ramp so you take three legs of a trip at 180 mph and use the steed for the last mile to your office.  The horses would be used like the car-to-go but far cooler.  The coral would insta-rent the horse and wranglers would be employed to move the horses back to where they are reserved for their next trip.  The central routing system would let you know if the horse ride option is available and congestion pricing like Price-Line would let the horses and wranglers stay busy and thus profitable.  I would like to ride up to my destination on a horse.  Grande entrances are great.  The wranglers would deal with all the down-sides of this transit mode as a job creation program.  I am sure there will be employee turn over but that just creates more job opportunities for those who really need a job.

Jerry Roane

Nathan Koren

Feb 4, 2012, 8:27:22 AM2/4/12
to transport-innovators
Dennis,

You hit a very good point - the education barrier. I've actually found
that educating the public is relatively easy: you tell them that PRT
is like a robotic taxi on an overhead guideway, show them some videos
of Heathrow etc., and they say "oh, cool!" and are thereafter more or
less on board with the concept. But that honestly doesn't matter very
much, because -- to put it bluntly -- the public is not involved in
the decision-making or implementation process for PRT systems. Since
"the public" doesn't buy, design, build, operate, or regulate PRT
systems, what they think has virtually no bearing on what actually
happens. So the real education barrier is with professionals --
developers, transport planners, land-use planners, regulatory bodies,
etc.

The problem is that professionals know enough to be dangerous. They
can see that the simple "robotic taxi on a guideway" story glosses
over a LOT of genuine complexity; they accurately perceive that PRT is
not trivial to get right. Sometimes their expertise leads them to
wholly fallacious conclusions ("a transport system cannot be ADA-
compliant unless there is a 5-foot-diameter turning circle of clear
floorspace"); other times their expertise helps them to identify a
real potential problem, without giving them any insight into the
solution. An example of the latter would be Vuchic's concept of the
"pulse" problem (http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/vuchic1.htm)
-- which is an entirely legitimate concern, but one that can be
addressed through a combination of in-station or upstream vehicle
buffers, predictive caching of vehicles, and acceptance of the fact
that during extremely rapid pulses at an under-sized PRT station,
there may be a "long tail" of people who will have to wait a number of
minutes to get a ride (making the worst-case PRT wait similar to the
average-case bus wait, so what's the problem with that?).

Now, it's one thing for me to claim that there's a solution for the
pulse problem; it's an entirely different thing for a transport
professional to be able to verify this for themselves. It actually
requires a fairly advanced degree of simulation to see that yes, what
I'm saying is really true. So the transport professional is left with
the choice of either accepting my expertise on faith, or spending some
number of days/weeks/months creating simulations which prove this to
their own satisfaction. And after they've done that, there are still
several dozen other problems of a similar magnitude which they will
probably be able to see but not easily answer.

A lot of these problems are external to PRT itself, but deal with its
interactions with other systems. How do you do demand modelling for
PRT - fitting it into a classic four-stage logit modal split? How do
you estimate the mode-specific constant for this calculation? Sure,
there's a lot of literature out there to review, but once you've spent
some weeks assimilating that... How do you actually manage the
passenger-side pedestrian flows at big intermodal interchanges? (Hint:
classic bus-stop-class PRT stations don't work for that...). How do
you manage the architectural and structural interfaces between
stations and buildings etc.? And how for the love of Pete do you find
out how much the bloody thing even costs?!?

(This latter point is a huge problem, by the way: at the moment,
getting useful costing information out of vendors is like pulling
teeth. Having worked on the vendor side of the industry, I understand
why this is the case: they aren't yet selling a mass-produced off-the-
shelf product, but something that requires a significant amount of
customised design, tooling, and manufacturing for each application.
For a job like that, it'd be irresponsible to just pick numbers out of
thin air and quote them to a customer; therefore the vendors are being
appropriately diligent when they make sure that they fully understand
the context and customer requirements before quoting a price.
Nonetheless, from the client's point of view, this is a big problem.
When costing a bus or train system, the client or their consultants
can simply browse through the costs of thousands of prior
installations -- which are a matter of public record -- and make their
own determination about the probable costs in a matter of hours or
days. When performing an equivalent estimate of PRT costs, some weeks
or months of direct discussions with the vendors are required -- which
is a huge and often untenable commitment of time, energy, and money.)

So: for professionals -- the people who are actually part of the
decision-making process for implementing transport systems -- studying
PRT to the point that you can understand it comprehensively -- not
just the "what" and the "why" but also the exact "HOW" -- requires
months or years of commitment. Few professionals are mad enough to do
that; the light at the end of the tunnel does not seem sufficiently
compelling to warrant such an investment. And that's the real
education barrier, as I see it.

Can it be overcome? Is there some way to dramatically shorten the
learning curve for professionals? I believe that there is, and I'm now
focusing most of my efforts on developing a solution to this problem.
I hope to be able to announce something about this within a few
months...

Cheers,

Nathan

On Feb 3, 4:28 pm, "Dennis Manning" <john.manni...@comcast.net> wrote:
> From: "kirston henderson" <kirston.hender...@megarail.com>

Jerry Roane

Feb 4, 2012, 11:45:52 AM2/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Nathan

I want to make sure those who read your post don't close their minds to your important intent but take away the ADA word example as we cannot possibly meet ADA requirements.  We can meet not only the ADA legal requirements but much more importantly we exceed the intent of the ADA legislation.  You mentioned a 5 foot diameter turning radius in your post and that is not an ADA requirement unless there are other constraints added to that part of the design.  Not requiring that the chair turn is the cure for that requirement by basic configuration.  Those who find themselves in a chair just want mobility and an individual with a custom for that person car is going to be far better accommodated for their issues than a generic one box fits all attempt at accommodating their particular challenge.  Solutions that meet the law and more importantly allow for mainstreaming will be inventive and creative so they will not be a short yellow bus on guideway but there will be excellence in design on behalf of those with disabilities.  One major missing feature of the ADA is there is no provision for recharging a feeding pump or respirator.  Imagine you are dependent on a respirator for your next breath and you roll your rig onto a transit bus.  Now imagine the bus gets stuck in insane city traffic because of poor city planning.  Now your battery that powers your breathing pump starts to alarm.  What now???????????????? We have to think way past the ADA for our customers.  Well intentioned legislation is a firm foundation to build from not a new barrier for those with enough barriers.  Building a fully custom safe mobile platform with multiple backup systems that does not get stuck in city traffic because of traffic density uniformity is far better than meeting the old versions of ADA compliance.  I just wanted to make the point that the 5 foot example was only an example if you turn off your mind.

I am excited you have good things brewing.

Jerry Roane

Nathan Koren

Feb 4, 2012, 2:52:46 PM2/4/12
to transport-innovators
Jerry,

Yes, you're quite right -- I didn't mean to imply that a 5-foot
turning circle was an actual ADA requirement for all transport modes;
it's just that some consultants have mistakenly made that claim in the
past, most notoriously in the Cincinnati Skyloop study. Of course the
dial-a-ride services that currently cater to the mobility-impaired do
not have such turning space, and are perfectly fine under the ADA, as
any well-designed PRT system would also be.

Would rather not extend the remit of the ADA to require accommodation
of people on artificial respirators, however! It's challenging enough
to accommodate as is! (As a recovering architect, I can only shudder
to imagine how having an oxygen hookup in every room would coexist
with fire codes...)

Cheers,

Nathan

On Feb 4, 4:45 pm, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan
>
> I want to make sure those who read your post don't close their minds to
> your important intent but take away the ADA word example as we cannot
> possibly meet ADA requirements.  We can meet not only the ADA legal
> requirements but much more importantly we exceed the* intent* of the ADA

Jerry Roane

Feb 4, 2012, 5:20:27 PM2/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Nathan

Well said.  TriTrack allows the people holding component to be special for any particular need, even oxygen safely.  The hurricane evacuation from Rita had a tragedy from moving oxygen and getting stuck in an unthinkable traffic jam.  24 died from that transportation failure mixed with traffic and individual oxygen supplies.

Rather than make 100% of vehicles oxygen safe just the ones that need to be oxygen safe have to be and can be.

Jerry Roane

Rob Means

Feb 4, 2012, 7:25:51 PM2/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Nathan for your "robotic taxi" phrase.  I'm sure others have used something similar before, but it helped me jell my quick explanation of PRT technology:

We are all familiar with mass transit systems. Big vehicles with lots of people: trains, buses, light rail. PRT is small, personal scale. Fit one, two, three, maybe four people in a cab. Or someone with a bike or wheelchair. Because these cabs are small and lightweight, they are easy to put up on an elevated guideway – so they don't bump into kids or cars. Add computer control and you get a robotic taxi system that takes you where you want to go when you want to go there. And without lots of stops along the way. Kind of like a taxi.

--
Rob Means
ATRA Legislative Advisor

Jack Slade

Feb 4, 2012, 9:13:13 PM2/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Oxygen safe is a lot different than what is thought to be so in hospitals.  They think oxygen burns:  that it is a volatile gas.  It is not.  It just causes other things to burn more rapidly,  but those other things have to be already burning before oxy affects tham at all. When you get one poorly trained person training others,  this B/S spreads.

They also think "medical oxygen"  is different from the oxy in a welders tank.  Those of us who know the separation process that produces oxygen know that this is B/S also.  I once used my welders oxygen to keep somebody alive till the medics arrived,  and it worked.

Jack Slade

badger

Feb 5, 2012, 8:45:56 PM2/5/12
to transport-innovators
come on jack,spill! what happened? who was he? why did he need oxygen?

On Feb 4, 9:13 pm, Jack Slade <skytrek_...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Oxygen safe is a lot different than what is thought to be so in hospitals.  They think oxygen burns:  that it is a volatile gas.  It is not.  It just causes other things to burn more rapidly,  but those other things have to be already burning before oxy affects tham at all. When you get one poorly trained person training others,  this B/S spreads.
>
> They also think "medical oxygen"  is different from the oxy in a welders tank.  Those of us who know the separation process that produces oxygen know that this is B/S also.  I once used my welders oxygen to keep somebody alive till the medics arrived,  and it worked.
>
> Jack Slade
>
> --- On Sat, 2/4/12, Jerry Roane <jerry.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Jack Slade

Feb 6, 2012, 2:25:51 AM2/6/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Wasn't a he;  female friend,  who suffered an acute asthma attack that even fooled the doctors into believing it was a heart attack.  Oxygen works....it all comes from the same atmosphere.  Also,  if you are ever in a desperate situation,  use whatever you have.  It is better than no chance at all.

Jack Slade

Richard Gronning

Feb 6, 2012, 10:07:25 AM2/6/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Good marketing!
Maybe videos in the vehicles that show the opposites. In the historic
system, a rider would see the "future" system and in the modern system,
he/she would see history.

Dick

Jerry Roane

Feb 6, 2012, 11:34:39 AM2/6/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Richard

Good point about marketing new stuff.  One attempt at this is to put a wrap on the new car that has a picture of the old car.  That way the new car buyer gets the aesthetic of the old ways but the performance of the modern energy sustainable car.  One of the cable channel shows doing car modifications where they did a Dodge Charger redo.  They took an old Dodge Charger body and planted it on top of a brand new Dodge Charger frame and interior.  The result was a car that looked old but ran like a modern car with modern airbags and performance.  West Coast Customs I think is the show name.  The rich dude in the show spent a lot of money getting what you describe.  The car turned out pretty cool except for his color choice but to him it was his color and he liked it.  The interesting thing was what you describe about putting the old with the new and the new with the old.  See attached.  Putting a graphic wrap on a composite body is about the same price out the door as paint with DuPont automotive paint.  The wrap will age faster but it will look great for many years.  Automotive paint will last about 10 years with proper clear coat and application but the wrap gives the customer a lot of artistic freedom.  This render was just a 10 minute tossed together image but naturally the wrap for a specific customer can be whatever they want to express themselves.  There is need by people to be individuals and as much as I dislike the tattoo phase it speaks to something hard wired in our minds that we have to be slightly unique but be identified as a group (the tattoo crowd).  A custom free warp instead of a paint job would allow the customer a whole new range of interaction with the product.  I want to be investing in the business of tattoo removal in about 5 more years.  That is going to be a booming business.  My wife knows a doctor who does that, and business couldn't be more brisk.  With a car wrap you just peel off the old wrap and stick on a new one unlike a tattoo where you have to give up a pound of flesh so to speak.

Jerry Roane

ferr.jpg

Richard Gronning

Feb 7, 2012, 10:23:42 AM2/7/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Electronic tattooing is, 1) Safer, 2) easier to change 3) Easier to get rid of. Just hit, "Delete." It only appears on a computer screen now. Maybe both skin and paint on cars will be able to do what the computer does now.

On 2/6/2012 10:34 AM, Jerry Roane wrote:
Richard

Jerry Roane

Feb 10, 2012, 9:02:05 AM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
To all from the moderator

Sorry but Google Groups software saw something in this next post that it thought was spam.  I cut out the important part and it is below.  My apologies to the author. Jeff,  but something in their (Jeff) regular postings is like spam.  Perhaps some graphic that they tag on to their text message.     ---  Jerry Roane moderator

Dennis,
I note your comment below "The tightness of the box surrounding transit

officials is amazing. They don't know about PRT because their curiosity
level is so low they don't even inquire about anything outside the trolley
box. Bus people are about the same."

After reading some negative comments about transportation professionals such
as myself, I contacted you to inquire about PRT and ask some honest
questions. I'm still waiting.

It is extremely unfair to state that we do not understand or know about PRT.
The hardest part for us has been for PRT advocates and vendors to provide
honest and truthful detailed information to us. Explain that.

You want to compare PRT to streetcars, fine. Explain to me how a PRT System
would be safer and more cost effective than streetcars. Note that the
explanation will eventually lead to a lot of details after some honest back
and forth questions.

On streetcars I can pull an emergency cord and get off. PRT?
On streetcars if I require assistance from emergency personnel, they can get
to me quickly. PRT?
On streetcars if one breaks down, traffic can go around it, and I can exit
and catch another, or a taxi, or even walk. PRT?
Modern streetcars have HVAC to maintain comfortable temperatures for
passengers. PRT? (Don't be too quick to answer this question until you've
done the energy calculation, and asked existing PRT vendors about climate
control within their vehicles.)

I'm neither pro-PRT nor pro-streetcar, but you gotta give me something to go
on if you want support.

Jeff.

eph

Feb 10, 2012, 10:34:32 AM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  A few answers from someone with no horse in the race:
Disaster scenarios seem to be top of mind.  Streetcars are involved in pedestrian, bicycle and automobile accidents.

"A middle-aged man was dragged to his death for at least 600 metres along Queen St. W. by a streetcar Tuesday morning as people frantically tried to alert the driver."
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/919648--pedestrian-killed-by-streetcar

Statistics are hard to come by for streetcar involved accidents.

There are elevated PRT systems with full walkways (ULTra, 2getthere, MicroRail...).
PRT systems tend to have emergency stop (next station) capability.
PRT's stress free environment should lower the need for assistance and emergency responses can be coordinated by remote monitoring personnel.  (specific systems/requirements vary)
PRT re-routing is generally automatic, so only a few parties would be affected as opposed to hundreds for a streetcar.  Vectus demonstrated a "push" mode to move a stranded car.

A/C is only needed for part of the year and doesn't need to cool a driver, nor does it need to cool the cab while out of service.

F.

Jack Slade

Feb 10, 2012, 12:30:41 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I see the possibility that he has been coached by somebody who is definitely not pro-PRT.  Nobody has come up with those questions before.  Ask this guy when is the last time he rode a streetcar,  please.   I have never seen a pull-cord to stop it....I have on old trains.

Emergency personnel?  On streetcars?  What a joke.

Jack Slade

There IS a driver.  I imagine if you scream loud enough they will stop.

Stop attacking the person (and other rhetoric) and make some valid points.  Pissing people off is NOT helpful.

F.

kirston henderson

Feb 10, 2012, 2:05:16 PM2/10/12
on 2/10/12 8:02 AM, Jerry Roane at jerry...@gmail.com wrote:

On streetcars I can pull an emergency cord and get off. PRT?
On streetcars if I require assistance from emergency personnel, they can get
to me quickly. PRT?
On streetcars if one breaks down, traffic can go around it, and I can exit
and catch another, or a taxi, or even walk. PRT?
Modern streetcars have HVAC to maintain comfortable temperatures for
passengers. PRT? (Don't be too quick to answer this question until you've
done the energy calculation, and asked existing PRT vendors about climate
control within their vehicles.)

Jerry,

   I read the above set of comments and questions with some interest and have the following general reaction with regard to our own MicroWay PRT configuration:

1.  Pulling the cord, if they still have them, on streetcars will generally only mean that the car will stop at the next station stop.  A MicroWay car would have both a NEXT STATION buttons and emergency FIRE STOP buttons.  The later would cause the entire segment of the line to stop at once to enable passengers immediate exit to the center walkway.

2.  Emergency personnel can reach MicroWay passenger either at the next station, in stopped cars, or on the emergency walkways.

3.  If a streetcar breaks down, you can't catch another streetcar because streetcars can't pass stopped cars.  If a MicroWay segment halts, passengers can exit at stations, even if they need to walk a ways, and then continue in any way in which they desire.  By the way, MicroWay also has capability to push stalled cars into stations at the discretion of the system controller for that segment.

4.  MicroWay cars have full HVAC at any time that they are in service, including while waiting in stations.  HVAC is shut down only when vehicles are in storage.  Power loading for HVAC is limited by minimizing the interior volume, heavy tinted windows, full insulation and dual HVAC units in which one is shut down during station waiting.  This approach allows our systems to use far less HVAC power than large, heavy systems.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems

Richard Gronning

Feb 10, 2012, 2:17:55 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I'll take a stab at this one too. Remarks interspersed...

Dennis,
I note your comment below "The tightness of the box surrounding transit
officials is amazing. They don't know about PRT because their curiosity
level is so low they don't even inquire about anything outside the trolley
box. Bus people are about the same."

After reading some negative comments about transportation professionals such
as myself, I contacted you to inquire about PRT and ask some honest
questions. I'm still waiting.

It is extremely unfair to state that we do not understand or know about PRT.
The hardest part for us has been for PRT advocates and vendors to provide
honest and truthful detailed information to us. Explain that.

I would agree with what Jeff says. "Vendors" without systems have been plaguing the transportation agencies for 40 years. These developers are looking for start-up capital in order to develop $$$ multi-million systems that take quite a few million $$$ to even develop. If they don't have a fully developed system, how can they provide the type of information that a public service, transportation agency can use? Then we have developers who work against each other so that what they perceive as their system can be first. It's happening in this area.

On the other side of the coin, many of these developers have valid concepts. To throw the question back at Jeff, how can some sort of forum occur where transportation people can handle concepts and work together with these developers in order to get a developed system? Once again, with different developers working against each other, which one will any professional transportation person or agency work with? There have been such forms in Minnesota, but ultimately they were silenced by elected officials who have control over the transportation agencies.

You want to compare PRT to streetcars, fine. Explain to me how a PRT System
would be safer and more cost effective than streetcars. Note that the
explanation will eventually lead to a lot of details after some honest back
and forth questions.

At least in Minnesota, the comparison to streetcars and LRT is seen as an affront to public transportation agencies. If we compare, we are denigrating their efforts. We have taken the route of saying what PRT can do for streetcars, buses, and LRT. (Circulators can make LRT and streetcars have more passengers. PRT can connect LRT to bus routes.)

How can PRT be safer? Overhead systems don't have vehicles and people in the way to run into. Morgantown, WV built a system over 30 years ago. It was supposed to be a PRT system, but ended up a GRT system. They have had no fatalities and only 2 minor accidents in over 30 years of service.

On streetcars I can pull an emergency cord and get off. PRT?

I'll address the question with answers that come from Dr. J. Edward Anderson, since he is from this area. We have 5 developers and they subscribe, for the most part, to Ed's concepts.
With PRT, you would push a button in order to get off at the next station. This is NOT an emergency button, but one that will get you off at the next station. The next station in even a partially developed system would be 1/2 mile. Do you think that a 2 minute wait is sufficient?

On streetcars if I require assistance from emergency personnel, they can get
to me quickly. PRT?

Now we get to the emergencies as separate from just getting off. How about this? You push a red emergency button. A voice immediately comes on, asking what the problem is. You can be rerouted INSIDE a hospital or health care facility in probably 1/2 or less time that it would take to get ANY emergency help to a city street. The medical personnel would be waiting, already knowing what your problem is.

On streetcars if one breaks down, traffic can go around it, and I can exit
and catch another, or a taxi, or even walk. PRT?

There are a series of answers to this one from Skyweb Express.
  1. To begin with, the reliability of Morgantown shows that the occurrence of break-downs will be far and few.
  2. If it is a total power loss, the pod has a battery that can bring it to the nearest station (again, 1/2 mile or less.)
  3. If it is a track, then, unlike a streetcar, it has a computer system that will immediately reroute the vehicle and there will be an almost unnoticeable inconvenience of a few seconds.
  4. If it is a pod, then another pod can push it to the nearest station. (F. already mentioned this as proven by Vectus.)

Modern streetcars have HVAC to maintain comfortable temperatures for
passengers. PRT? (Don't be too quick to answer this question until you've
done the energy calculation, and asked existing PRT vendors about climate
control within their vehicles.)

HVAC systems, providing comfortable environment for either a fully stuffed streetcar, or full-time for an almost empty one all cost the same. They're all geared for the widest extreme. With a PRT pod, I could see pods that are parked at stations (and not in reserve) maintaining a temperature within 20 degrees of  the normal comfortable temp. How long does it take to heat or cool a pod only 9'X5'X6'? Minutes? (My answer. I haven't seen this for T2C)

I'm neither pro-PRT nor pro-streetcar, but you gotta give me something to go
on if you want support.

As a transportation person, I would think that this is an acceptable answer. I realize that it isn't a full answer. You work for a group of elected officials. They, in turn, are influenced by both their constituency and the lobbyists. I've heard about screaming arguments, lambasting PRT in the halls of the State congress. Some elected officials have staked their political careers in getting streetcars, etc. installed. They are even willing to say so.

What SHOULD push the dialogue along is cost and ridership.

On this chat site, one developer, ULTra, was said to be in the neighborhood of $7 - $15 M per mile. (The figure can be modified by now, I would think.) A person at Vectus told me that its system would be 1/3 the cost of any LRT system. (I don't know what they conclude now.) A figure of $10 M per mile was given by the Princeton study for the entire state of N.J. A marketer from this area said that this would be a ball-park figure for him for a large system. I think that this would put PRT in the ball park so far as competing with streetcars.

At 1/2 second spacing, a PRT system, pods with 3 seats could put 21,000 seats per hour by any given spot. The seats would be for people riding seated in comfort. If there were only a single person, the figure would still be an amazing 7,000 people per hour. I think that this competes favorably with streetcars. But seats are not people! America has the distinction of having public transportation that attracts 2% of the riders. How could PRT be different. How could PRT attract a higher ridership?

To begin with, the safety question that you started with is fully addressed. The pods are safe. You ride with your friends, neighbors, family who are going to the station that you are going to. The pods are also monitored for security. The stations would be safe. Why? because there would be no reason to loiter in a station with on-demand transit. The pods are there waiting. Either you get in and go, or you are loitering. Since there would be monitoring, there would be security there checking within minutes. Next comes on-demand, non-stop travel. This should be a large factor. Ian Ford has a downloadable calculator on his web site, http://www.abqtransp.org/  When he plugged a few figures into this calculator at the conference in San Jose, I saw a few people almost fall out of their seats. The systems should be far more all-weather than any systems built today. That reliability should also be a big factor in choosing public transportation. Sweden has done some modelling. For a mid-sized metropolitan area, for a transit system to get 45% of trips in a dense (down town) area and 35% over-all should attract a transportation person's attention.

I think that a transportation person contributing to this chat site is very welcome. I look forward to your questions. I'm sure that I and the group will come up with some stimulating questions for you as well.

Dick

Dennis Manning

Feb 10, 2012, 3:08:19 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth I had a phone conversation Jeff Davis. We are still pretty far apart on the issues, but we did agree that narrowing the disparity in thinking between incumbent transportation professionals and PRT vendors would be a good thing.

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 6:02 AM

Jerry Roane

Feb 10, 2012, 4:14:35 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dennis

I am glad you shared that with us.  I added to the problem by not answering my Google Groups email fast enough as moderator to find out that Jeff's email was flagged as spam by the software.  He published three emails before I got the problem addressed so he must have been annoyed that no one was answering his first two emails.  My bad.  I think this is a good opportunity to get the inside story.  Jeff should be a valuable resource for us to hone our pitches.

Jeff will run out of oil on the same day as the rest of us so we are all in this together.  This is an opportunity to talk about specifics about energy consumption per passenger mile and correct any distortions on both sides of this conversation.  According to wikipedia (truth always ;-) ) a commuter train uses 2996 BTU per passenger mile.  If this is true how can commuter train advocates be sold when a SOV Prius uses less energy per passenger mile and puts out considerably less NOx which is the health damaging toxin in cities caused by car and bus exhaust.  If Jeff has an answer for why extreme energy is wasted with traditional transit in the name of saving energy I would appreciate it.  If it comes from no one every looking at the data I can almost understand that but one would think that if they call themselves transportation professionals that they would know more about the subject from energy use and air pollution standpoint opr be naturally curious.  If they are depending on mythical standing room loadings then the industry as a whole is being fundamentally dishonest to the public from whom they extract cash.  I have no idea looking in, why energy wasteful modes seem to always win funding and energy efficient modes are marginalized by the established parties.

I am curious to know if the transit professionals care about air pollution or energy at all in their process.  If they are advocates for advocacy sake I can understand that from a short term job protection viewpoint but long term and globally I find it impossible to believe that trains trolleys large diesel buses are anything but historical dinosaurs.  Technology will overtake them quickly and all those with their jobs tied to the obsolete ways will need to find other positions.  Short term you can get some of this free grant money floated into the great depression but that money is already dried up and it was a one time shot.  Now transit has to become profitable or at least less of a loss leader.  If they do not make any changes to keep up with the rest of progress nothing will work out well.

The real question is how do we progress?  What is the administration path to forward success?  When I say administration I am talking about top to bottom bottom to top transit administration not the big O.

I hope we have not irritated Jeff too much.  I think his perspective is very valuable.

Jerry Roane

Jeff Davis

Feb 4, 2012, 5:17:53 PM2/4/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I have been reading the dialogue in the emails below with some interest,
including the criticisms of transportation professionals. Seems to me that
I have heard about this kind of rhetoric before. In the early 1900's the
Airship was the latest technology in transportation and airship advocates
continually lobbied to gain public support. Advocates of airship tried hard
to get people and governments to throw money at this new technology. Take a
look at the web address; 'http://www.airships.net/futurism'. Airship
advocates wanted everybody to jump on the airship bandwagon and sing the
airship song along with the band.

Notice in the middle of the web page "Goodyear president Paul Litchfield and
publicist Hugh Allen included the following pictures in their 1945 book,
WHY? Why has America no Rigid Airships?".

I suggest for further reading search on; airship advocacy.

Before you start criticizing transportation professionals such as myself for
not jumping on the PRT bandwagon and singing the PRT song, try to step back
and take a big picture view. New technologies and ideas should be properly
vetted, and scrutinized (not the same as criticized). I am happy to learn
about new technologies and ideas, but I also expect the advocates and
advocacy groups to perform competent and thorough analyses.

Note that independent assessments by knowledgeable professionals will help
support your PRT cause more than sales people who only want to sell PRT
systems to the exclusion of considering other viable technologies. When
suppliers misrepresent or exaggerate what a new technology can offer, it
doesn't help your cause. It also doesn't help to believe and make
statements that PRT technology is too complicated and complex for
experienced transportation professionals outside the pro-PRT community to
understand.

If you want the PRT Systems that you are trying to sell to succeed, get
independent and unbiased peer reviews of designs and implementations.
Listen to honest critiques, and respond how your technology will address
those issues found. Finally, make good and deliver on what is promised and
contractually obligated.

Jeff.

Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Feb 10, 2012, 7:28:00 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning

To all,

I hope that this message gets through.  The only thing that began to irritate me was the bashing transportation professionals dialogue.  As it turns out, after discussing it with Dennis, apparently you guys were apparently focusing on clients and policy makers.  I am a transportation professional that does not fall into that category.  I tend to stay transportation or transit technology neutral when working with clients.  You have seen a taste of some of the issues I focus on for any transportation system.  I tend to put myself into the mindset of the average user as well as learning from a variety of systems.

It appears that some of my questions have been answered.  For example, I would definitely consider systems with some type of means to quickly exit a burning/smoking vehicle (search on fire and Seattle monorail, or fire and Disney monorail, or evacuation and Las Vegas monorail).  Given that these systems did not have an emergency walkway and there was a definite need to evacuate or risk death, the lack of walkway was a serious problem.  I probably should have phrased my comment better and focused on those technologies showing PRT cars running on a monorail type beam.

As far as how to progress, I suggesting soliciting independent reviews of non-biased transportation professionals.  Such reviews would need to be extensive.  Note that it is very common for consultants such as myself to go through a supplier’s design in detail.  We do it all the time, and PRT shouldn’t be treated any different.

Overall questions we need answered are:

‘Prove why you believe your system is safe’.  This is explored in detail in the various Hazards Analyses.  All suppliers we work with and systems we work on do this in order to build their Safety Case.  Yes, I know it’s a lot of work ($$$).

As far as self-powered vehicles (vehicles with on-board propulsion energy storage), it seems somewhat odd to me to refer these systems as ‘Green’.  Where do the vehicles get their onboard energy storage recharged from (ultimately)?  If the grid is powered by fossil-fuel powered generating stations, you just moved the emissions problem somewhere else.  (Was the environmental impact of generating stations needing to increase their energy output to support a PRT System considered?)  What about the life cycle of the onboard energy storage devices?  Meaning if a PRT vehicle needs batteries replaced on a regular basis, then the energy consumed and environmental impact caused by manufacturing and delivering new batteries, and disposal, or hopefully recycle of used batteries must be considered.  Yes, there are other types of energy storage that might not require regular replacement, i.e. super capacitors and such.  Unfortunately some of these technologies require some ‘exotic’ and often toxic materials.  So the manufacture and disposal of such devices can be a problem and impact the environment.

In addition to the above, what about the empty vehicle movements needed when there is uneven passenger flow?  Is the energy consumed by getting empty vehicles to where they are needed included in the overall system energy consumption calculation?  (One example might be people travelling from the ‘burbs to the city in the morning, and from the city back to the ‘burbs in the evening)

I have more, but I think that’s enough to chew on for now.

As far as “If Jeff has an answer for why extreme energy is wasted with traditional transit in the name of saving energy I would appreciate it”, show how and why PRT is more energy efficient.  Starting from the above questions would help.  Consider going full disclosure with unbiased, experienced professionals, and use Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) to protect your proprietary information.  It’s done ALL the time.

Finally, I know I am not the only one who notices the hundreds of cars in traffic jams to/from work, and virtually all of them have just one passenger (the driver), and think to myself that this is madness and unsustainable.  So, I wish you guys success at solving this, and if we can get some positive dialogue going, then we can move onto some other questions.

(Dennis, hopefully this gets through to the group.)

Jeff.

Jerry Roane

Jeff Davis

Feb 10, 2012, 7:43:09 PM2/10/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, eph

F.

You offer some valid points.  Streetcars do get into accidents, same as any mixed-mode transit system.

Don’t quite understand how a PRT System is any more or less stress-free than BRT (for example).  Can you elaborate?

As far as A/C only needed for part of the year, we should all be so lucky as to live in moderate climates………………

Where I live, a heated car is a MUST-have, and air conditioning almost a MUST-have.  What about installing transit systems in Nevada or Arizona?  The ‘part’ of the year requiring A/C can be quite long, and conversely what about Maine, or Canada, or Sweden, or Norway?  The ‘part’ of the year requiring heating can be quite long.

You are almost correct about not-needing HVAC for vehicles not in service, but what about those vehicles waiting in stations?  We can’t tell our passengers to get into 100+ F, or 30- F vehicles.  They will either try to find ways to not use the system, or file numerous complaints.

Jeff.

Feb 11, 2012, 10:52:47 PM2/11/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff

A recap of the questions:

1. At elevation what are some escape devices and methods?
2. Pay a transportation professional extensive amounts to make the transit case.
3. Why are guideway cars far less energy consuming?
4. How are battery chemicals recycled?  How does that compare with crude oil waste products?
5. What automation is required to supply appropriate hardware where needed.
6. What is the total energy to move a metropolitan area with elevated guideway?
7. Are SOVs the problem or is it that SOVs need to get much better to be sustainable?

This is way too much for one email but I wanted to break this down into segments for answers from our group.  You are coming into a group that has re-hashed all these topics over and over so there is some internal irritation already flowing as you noticed.   My next email will address item one of these 7 items.  I assure you the science behind our systems is solid as a rock and the technical expertise of this group is impressive in their former technical positions and degrees as well as some in present positions.  There is a lot to convey both directions.

Thanks

Jerry Roane

eph

Feb 12, 2012, 12:35:46 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,
Less stress free:
No schedules, get to a station, board the next pod.
No other (unknown) passengers to deal with.
No standing/holding on.
No struggle to get to the exit.
When "emergency" was mentioned, I thought heart attack or altercation.

True.  2getthere's first system is in Masdar and heat is a concern.  Another factor may be reduced transit times means less time cooling passengers and doors only open at the start and end of journeys.   A way to mitigate expensive cooling may be to provide cooled/heated seats since everyone is seated in a prt vehicle.  Comfort does have a price though people seem willing to pay.

I know that every car driver has to enter a cold or hot vehicle at some point and it is still the preferred mode of transportation.  Also, depending on the redistribution algorithm, it may be that vehicles that are in service get reused before out of service vehicles are summoned, so they would remain at temperature.  There are so many ways to manage things, heating and cooling becomes one of the variables to optimize.

F.

Kirston Henderson

Feb 12, 2012, 1:53:20 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

I as the CEO of a company developing a system that can include PRT
would be happy to assist you. For starters, we have a nice chart
presentation in pdf format explaining how our system is superior to
streetcars or LRT, I would be happy to send it to you via e-mail and
strive to answer any questions that you have. First of all, I am not
a strong advocate of PRT as a stand-alone system that can provide
essentially door to door service as some advocates, but it does have a
reasonable place, especially in contrast to LRT and streetcars and for
the same money can provide service to many more points within a city.

Please contact me if you are interested. By the way, our company has
asked all of the questions that you have asked and provided means to
meet each of these factors. Furthermore, we have completed all
testing of our demo system and are preparing it for public showing
sometime In late March.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transmutation Systems, Inc.

Jack Slade

Feb 12, 2012, 2:44:13 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff:  welcome to the list.  I want to answer more of your questions tomorrow when I have more time,  but first I think you should check "Toronto Fatal Subway Fire",  and what happened in Eastern cities that have subways,  during the couple of major blackouts we have had.  Streetcar accidents are something else:  the accident rate for them in Toronto recently has soared, for some reason,  including running over pedestrians.

None of us have "proof" of how safe our systems would be,  but they would certainly be comparable with Morgantown.

Jack Slade

eri...@shaw.ca

Feb 12, 2012, 2:46:30 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
May I suggest reading some of the excellent peer reviewed papers from Dr. Martin Lowson, the founder of ULTra PRT. Go to ULTra's website for the links. The papers detail the benefits, the impacts and cost savings of PRT and comparisons to other forms of transit.

Eric Baumgartner
EdmontonPRT.com

Feb 12, 2012, 2:55:03 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Please read the very detailed safety case from ULTra. This system has many approvals including from Her Majesty's Raul Inspectorate.

Eric Baumgartner
EdmontonPRT.com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:28:00 -0500
Cc: 'Dennis Manning'<john.m...@comcast.net>

eph

Feb 12, 2012, 9:51:07 AM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Which of those Monorail accident (very few) are meant to show that elevated systems pose a hazard?  2 of them are smoke-filled cabins with no serious injuries and one is a trespasser walking on the beam, another was negligence (collided cars which can easily happen with streetcars)....  Your question makes me wonder why you get the impression it is unsafe when many buildings are much taller with no means of access in a fire.

Why is electric better?  Even if Coal is used to generate all the electricity, it still emits less GHG.  Reducing GHG emissions requires either non fossil fuel based generation or CCS (which is either just around the corner or a white elephant - depending on who you believe).  Lastly, even at current prices, renewable energy costs less than gasoline on a distance/$ to distance/$ comparison.  E.I. "filling up" with electricity is cheaper.

F.

Jack Slade

Feb 12, 2012, 3:30:41 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff:  Nathan and Kirston have already answered most of your questions,  but I think I have something to add to this one:

--- On Sat, 2/11/12, Jeff Davis <jeff.d...@verizon.net> wrote:

In addition to the above, what about the empty vehicle movements needed when there is uneven passenger flow?  Is the energy consumed by getting empty vehicles to where they are needed included in the overall system energy consumption calculation?  (One example might be people travelling from the ‘burbs to the city in the morning, and from the city back to the ‘burbs in the evening)<<<<

The private automobile is the only existing system that seems to have no empty vehicle movement.  With other systems,  empty seats must travel all the way to end-of-route before coming back.  PRT reduces this,  because the empty seats stay at the last station they deliver someby to,  until somebody else boards,  or the computer recognizes a shortage somewhere else.

This makes it more comparable to taxis,  where the drivers no longer do much empty cruising,  looking for fares.  They just hang around malls,  train stations, hotels etc unless they get a call from Dispatch (AKA their computer).

Private cars actually do some "empty" trips:  I often used to take the kids somewhere and just drop them off and return home,  to go pick them up later....sort of like a family taxi service.  More of this will happen when robocars get working.

Jack Slade

Jeff Davis

Feb 12, 2012, 9:15:20 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Jack Slade

Jack,

While I appreciate the time you took to respond (I really do), the explanation is somewhat lacking, if I understand correctly.  For clarification, for any transit system there are a finite number of cars/vehicles/trains.  Once vehicles at, or near a given station location are used up, they must be replenished; either from a supply of empties nearby, or wait until an empty returns from a trip.  So, for systems with uneven passenger flow, the system either needs to have enough vehicles to satisfy the surge event near the location of the surge, or return empties back from completed trips.  It’s a closed system, meaning that cars/vehicles/trains aren’t allowed to magically appear where needed, nor magically disappear where not needed.  The taxi analogy is good in that once taxis have completed their fare, they must either find a fare on the way back, or go back empty in order to pick up another fare.  Your hanging around malls being a good example, what to do once a taxi has picked up a fare at a mall and completed a trip.  If there’s no fare readily available nearby, such as people mostly wanting to go from the mall to their home, then the taxi must return to the mall empty.

(As a side note, due to my business travels, I very often observe taxis sitting with the engine running either in cold weather to keep the interior warm, or hot weather to keep the interior cool.  Just imagine the volume of energy consumed and the corresponding CO2 given off.  If anybody wants to respond that this is quite insane and not sustainable from an energy point of view, no objection from me.)

I am aware of empty seats on transit systems and the need to route empty vehicles/trains to where they are needed, such as a loop system.  My main point was that any analysis of a PRT System must consider empty vehicle movements same as any other transit system.  The airlines have been dealing with this issue for a long time, i.e. only just so many planes, and they need to get planes from where they end up to where the demand is.  It really is no ‘accident’ that they offer cheap fares to get from B to A; it’s because they need to fill the seats from B to A so that the plane with its’ seats, is available on the real money making journeys where people only want to travel from A to B.

Jeff.

Jeff Davis

Feb 12, 2012, 9:27:11 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning

Jerry,

Thanks for the response.  Understand that I maybe covering topics already answered and addressed.  For that, please forgive or overlook my newness to these topics as they relate to PRT.  I am very interested in any information you can offer.

To reiterate, I’m really not pro any specific technology.  However, I am pro leveling the playing field such that all technologies are considered equally (given equal and fair consideration).  Perhaps what might help is for me to specify which marketing/sales pitch I have questions about.  As has been properly noted, some PRT vendors have very good solutions to providing people the capability to exit vehicles when dire circumstances dictate, but others may not.  It is the latter that I was speaking to.

Jeff Davis

Feb 12, 2012, 9:32:07 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Kirston Henderson
Kirston,
I would be very happy to review what material you have to offer. I liked to
hear that you guys have asked the same questions internally and may be able
to offer viable solutions. I probably could have worded my questions better
by indicating that I was speaking about the thin monorail beam type of PRT.

Jeff.

Feb 12, 2012, 10:23:01 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff:

I've lost sight of the original question. However, your reference to "thin
monorail beam type PRT" is puzzling. So far as I know no one is designing
such a system. Monorails do not allow fast enough switching for PRT
operations. Monorails dictate slow in track switches which means large
headways which in turn drastically lowers capacity. Can you clarify your
concern?

Dennis

Feb 12, 2012, 10:36:09 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Jack Slade

Jack,

Thanks for the response.  My only point in this regards is that ‘sh*t happens’, so be prepared by installing as much practical and reasonable measures as possible to save lives and protect passengers.  And without searching or hearing about “Toronto Fatal Subway Fire”, I think that you support this point very well.

Jeff.

Jeff Davis

Feb 12, 2012, 10:38:10 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, eri...@shaw.ca

Eric,

Where can I obtain a copy of the referenced safety case?

Jeff.

Jerry Schneider

Feb 12, 2012, 10:40:21 PM2/12/12
At 07:23 PM 2/12/2012, you wrote:
>Jeff:
>
>I've lost sight of the original question. However, your reference to
>"thin monorail beam type PRT" is puzzling. So far as I know no one
>is designing such a system. Monorails do not allow fast enough
>switching for PRT operations. Monorails dictate slow in track
>switches which means large headways which in turn drastically lowers
>capacity. Can you clarify your concern?

Maybe Bubble Motion from Finland?

Jeff Davis

Feb 12, 2012, 10:45:14 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, eph

François,

My only point is that these types of situations should be considered.

Note sure about your statement that electric vehicles us less energy than other forms.  Also, don’t forget, for battery powered vehicles include the energy costs associated with obtaining new batteries and disposing/recycling the old.  To be fair, internal combustion engines also require maintenance.  Just looking for a level and fair comparison.

Jeff.

Feb 12, 2012, 10:48:43 PM2/12/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning
Dennis,
Nothing concrete regarding the monorail beam, (no pun intended) just various
concepts I have seen form different vendors. I must admit, they do look
cool.

Dennis Manning

Feb 13, 2012, 12:08:00 AM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Feb 13, 2012, 8:45:57 AM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I think I said/meant that energy is used more efficiently.  Land based generator (heat machine) can be much more efficient if large and heavy and running at optimum speed and emissions can be controlled.  This compensates for transmission losses and other inefficiencies (compared to losses in fossil fuel burning on-board engines) and either Carbon Capture and Storage (could be slapped on the stack, not so easy on the tailpipe) or replaced with renewable energy.

F.

kirston henderson

Feb 13, 2012, 10:57:02 AM2/13/12
on 2/12/12 9:48 PM, Jeff Davis at jeff.d...@verizon.net wrote:

> Dennis,
> Nothing concrete regarding the monorail beam, (no pun intended) just various
> concepts I have seen form different vendors. I must admit, they do look
> cool.

There are a lot of "concepts" out there that are little, if anything
more than artist concepts with little or no real engineering behind them
that could ever turn them from "concepts" to real hardware.

Kirston Henderson

Dennis Manning

Feb 13, 2012, 11:32:52 AM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Kirston:

Yes, there's lots of vaporware out there.

I wanted without being too blunt to see if Jeff Davis understands why
monorails most especially wrap around types are not PRT. Does he understand
the crucial role switches play in PRT design. Judging from his flip response
he doesn't. It's a critical point because if he doesn't understand it
there's no way in this wide world is he qualified to pass any kind of
judgment technical or otherwise on PRT.

He needs to explain himself otherwise his linking PRT and monorail shows a
huge gap in his understanding of PRT, and why he insists that PRT safety
demands headways of _____________. I'll let Jeff fill in the blank and
explain.

So what say you Jeff?

Dennis

Feb 13, 2012, 12:31:34 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, kirston....@megarail.com, Dennis Manning
Dennis,
Kirston has quite accurately responded to what I meant.  I'm all for cool, neat looking concepts and don't get involved too much until they try to move into the real world.  Some time ago I reviewed a really sleek looking PRT on a mono-beam concept.  Same as everybody I thought it looked great on the drawing board.  When they contacted us about realizing the concept, we had the unfortunate task of asking, ok, where are the propulsion motors, air conditioners, onboard electronics, how can people easily get in and out, what if people need to exit in a emergency, ....?  Really didn't want to burst a dream, but it was clear they had not performed any real engineering, safety or otherwise.  That was some years back and I don't have any of the literature left.

Jeff.

Feb 13, 2012, 12:45:09 PM2/13/12
to Jeff Davis, transport-...@googlegroups.com, kirston....@megarail.com
Jeff:

Can you give a link, a name, anything? to the monorail PRT system you are referring to?. You are missing my question.

Do you see why the switch on PRT design is crucial, and why it's not compatible with monorail? Your statements indicate that you don't understand, and that is very troubling.

Dennis

Jack Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 12:52:48 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I intend to ask Jeff what transport system it is that he thinks is equipped for brickwall stopping.
Is it the Greyhound bus that zips down the Interstates at 80Mph,  with automated ABS that brakes automatically if it gets closer than 500 Ft behind another vehicle?  Is it the train with warning systems that tell them if there is something blocking the track just around the bend,  and a speed controller that slows it down in inclement weather,  so that it does not out-run it's stopping distance?  It certainly isn't the 2 streetcars that ran into each other at a station in Toronto a couple of months ago,  or the ones that are running over pedestrians.

I think Jeff will admit that Companies pay only lip service to this rule....it is used only in scheduling.

Anybody who wants this rule enforced will obviously not ride trains, busses,  and streetcars,  and they are too few in numbers for me to bother accomodating with PRT. Normal people who like automobiles should love it.

Jack Slade

--- On Mon, 2/13/12, Dennis Manning <john.m...@comcast.net> wrote:

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.

Jeff Davis

Feb 13, 2012, 1:04:50 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning
Dennis,
I do understand guideway and track switching, whether the switching mechanism be onboard (possibly simply steering), or a guideway or track based switch.  I know the difference and have seen varieties of both types.  I'm at work and can't spend much time on this now, but will try to respond to this when I get home.

I know exactly why the design philosophy of the type of switch is crucial; the time it takes to negotiate diverges and merges.  If the switching is onboard, there's no need to move mechanical parts on the guideway/track, which takes time.  Perhaps sometime later we can chat outside the group and discuss railroad, beam, rotating, and switch rail designs for guideway track mounted, and the onboard steering used by ULTra.  FYI, by far the coolest switches I have seen are the rotating, one vendor used a mostly concrete bed, and the other used a large metal cage.  The second coolest switch I have seen was by a Japanese company.  It was for a monorail beam and consisted of several articulated sections, like a snake.  Used to have the video showing switch movements, but don't know where it is now.

One type of onboard switch I have heard about, but not actually seen was where the vehicles used a type of grabber that would grab onto a trackside element and pull the vehicle into the direction it should go in diverges.  Been years since I heard about this design.

Jeff.

Jeff Davis

Feb 13, 2012, 1:14:04 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning, Jack Slade
Dennis,
The personal attack regarding my knowledge and my experience of transit switching principles was uncalled for.  When you have installed, tested, and commisioned as many guideway and track mounted swithces as I have, we'll talk.  If you feel that I may be unqualified to discuss switches, please elaborate on all of the principles of Train Protection regarding switches, and don't leave out discussions regarding time locking.  Maybe you can learn me something.

Jeff.

From: Dennis Manning <john.m...@comcast.net>
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, February 13, 2012, 4:32 PM

Kirston:Yes, there's lots of vaporware out there.I wanted without being too blunt to see if Jeff Davis understands why monorails most especially wrap around types are not PRT. Does he understand the crucial role switches play in PRT design. Judging from his flip response he doesn't. It's a critical point because if he doesn't understand it there's no way in this wide world is he qualified to pass any kind of judgment technical or otherwise on PRT.He needs to explain himself otherwise his linking PRT and monorail shows a huge gap in his understanding of PRT, and why he insists that PRT safety demands headways of _____________.  I'll let Jeff fill in the blank and explain.So what say you Jeff?Dennis--------------------------------------------------From: "kirston henderson" <kirston....@megarail.com>Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 7:57 AMTo: <transport-...@googlegroups.com>Subject: Re: [t-i] Barriers to entry for advanced transit systems> on 2/12/12 9:48 PM, Jeff Davis at jeff.d...@verizon.net wrote:> >> Dennis,>> Nothing concrete regarding the monorail beam, (no pun intended) just various>> concepts I have seen form different vendors.  I must admit, they do look>> cool.>> >    There are a lot of "concepts" out there that are little, if anything> more than artist concepts with little or no real engineering behind them> that could ever turn them from "concepts" to real hardware.> > Kirston Henderson> > > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.> To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com.> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innovators+unsub...@googlegroups.com.> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com.To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innovators+unsub...@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group. To post to this group, send email to transport-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to transport-innova...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

Jerry Schneider

Feb 13, 2012, 2:00:20 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

One of my objectives with the ITT website is to help people make
appropriate contacts
and reduce the tendency to "reinvent the wheel" as well as to
stimulate (hopefully)
imagination and creativity to the extent possible. There is more to
life than engineering
and hardware.

Richard Gronning

Feb 13, 2012, 2:07:14 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

I've sent a couple of blurbs to this list ans Jeff. Since he hasn't responded to them, including to the one on how to contact Ed Anderson, I wonder if I'm being blocked. Do you get my posts?

Dick

Jerry Schneider

Feb 13, 2012, 2:10:01 PM2/13/12
At 09:31 AM 2/13/2012, you wrote:
>Dennis,
>Kirston has quite accurately responded to what I meant. I'm all for
>cool, neat looking concepts and don't get involved too much until
>they try to move into the real world. Some time ago I reviewed a
>really sleek looking PRT on a mono-beam concept. Same as everybody
>I thought it looked great on the drawing board. When they contacted
>us about realizing the concept, we had the unfortunate task of
>asking, ok, where are the propulsion motors, air conditioners,
>onboard electronics, how can people easily get in and out, what if
>people need to exit in a emergency, ....? Really didn't want to
>burst a dream, but it was clear they had not performed any real
>engineering, safety or otherwise. That was some years back and I
>don't have any of the literature left.

Sounds like SkyTran to me.

Richard Gronning

Feb 13, 2012, 2:14:10 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

While Skyweb Express uses the grab-on vertical axle wheels for switching, so does Vectus. I'm sure that I could find a number of other designs that do this too. Jeff has more studying to do.

Dick

On 2/13/2012 12:04 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
Dennis,

Jerry Roane

Feb 13, 2012, 2:20:09 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff

One in a long series of answers to your set of questions.  All valid questions and worth a recap on a regular schedule for newcomers.

Safety is the most important aspect of a transportation system but is never brought up till the end of the discussion.  Except now.  You can't fix dead.

TriTrack did some extensive sorting of the federal fatality data looking for where deaths are created by the present modes of transportation.  I can see you are a transit believer from some of your international travel comments so I won't go very deep into why cars crash and when they crash why the drivers' brain stems are stopped.  As everyone knows cars with drunk drivers are the biggest problem and that has to be addressed by society and societal motivations.  1/3 of all deaths are alcohol related and that is totally unacceptable.  TriTrack tests every driver for physical ability to react to stimulus.  This keeps impaired drivers from any source, chemical or physical, from driving.  All cars should have this feature.

The next major source of deaths is the intersection.  Again 1/3 of deaths are from at-grade intersections.  TriTrack has no at-grade intersections at speeds that are lethal.  There is overlap between the 1/3 that are drunk and 1/3 of at-grade intersections but for the purposes of this discussion of safety of elevated guideway (dual mode or PRT) the elimination of lethal at-grade vehicle to vehicle interactions has to be safer.  Especially if the driver is coordination tested every time.

The other topic that is very debatable is does speed kill.  We are hurdling around the sun at 67,000 miles per hour.  Does that really mean high speed kills?  No.  So relative speed to interacting objects is the actual speed that has some ability to kill and maim.  Some studies have shown that speed is not the major factor in deaths when the police form is checked with "speeding".  Since the prevailing conventional wisdom is speed kills the form the police fill out asks was the car speeding and by how much.  What is not on the data set is why the car killed the occupants.  The why is lost in the federal data and only estimated speed after the fact is recorded so that is part of our data collection and sorting to find out how to improve survivable situations.  Since pure PRT and dual mode cars cannot speed by software central control all the deaths attributed to these reports of speeding causing a fatality would be converted to not speeding and that is in rough terms 1/3 of deaths.  Again these are overlapping data sets and 1/3 in this case is rougher than the first two which are very close to 1/3.  In our analysis for the UT Texas student shuttle proposal we found that of the 42,000 deaths a year from that year's latest data that TriTrack would have 873 deaths.  No drunks, no at-grade intersections, no speeding on highways, no speed at feeder street speed zones and no speeding in residential zones.  This is not proof it is the elimination of what was listed as cause for the fatality from the available flawed data collection.

The fatality data for all monorails for all time is incredibly impressive.  Monorail deaths can be counted on your fingers as well as all neighborhood electric vehicles.  LRT, commuter train, passenger heavy train and buses have a falsely  low death rate because the data does not count all the dead.  They only count the dead on board.  Trains and trolleys kill people in the surrounding area but those fatalities are not counted as a train death even though it is the train, trolley or bus that snuffs the life out of the person.

Safety is a difficult subject because it deals with probabilities and that is a tough subject for college and the final answer is not the final answer except from a global view.  On the personal scale if your family member dies from a car wreck or some dude ends up in your front grass dying from car inflicted wounds it becomes very personal.  We can do significantly better across the board.  We must do better.

As for transit deaths there is the issue of murder and manslaughter.  Studying for this post I researched your chance of death as an average American.  Although some would say it is a stretch to include murder and homicide to transit deaths it is real and in larger proportion than you might think.  TriTrack avoids at-grade vehicle to vehicle interactions and it avoids person to person interactions protecting them from encounters and interactions.  I include this with the following data:

Lifetime Chance of Death (rough) from the following:
murder 1:210
firearms 1:4317
car crash 1:6500
walking on street 1:625
airplane crash 1:5000
drowning 1:1100
fire 1:1100
fire not in a building 1:111,155
falling 1:210
lightning strike 1:800,000
dog 1:142,279
horse or carriage 1:32336
boat 1:5239
heart disease 1:5
cancer 1:7
stroke 1:24
flu 1:63
hospital infection 1:38

Other factoids--- men are 77% of fatalities bicycling per passenger mile is11 times more deadly that car riding.  Walking is 36 times more deadly than riding in a protective car.

When we compare the transit experience with the safety of riding dual mode or PRT the door to door trip must be accounted for.  Walking for your health may not work out on an individual basis with this data known.  36X is pretty bad if you are promoting more of it in dense cities from a public safety perspective.

Escape from the height of a second story window besides not being usually lethal can be from lots of commercially available devices.  Nylon strap ladders are cheap and would allow exit.  Repelling ropes allow a trained climber to drop down safely.  An inflatable version of a repelling rig could allow an untrained operation of a descent.  A guideway skate board could allow escape stored in the trunk of the vehicle.  Fire self-extinguishing composites would stop the fire before it had any size or intensity.  I can rattle on about how one might get away from an unsafe condition.  Keep in mind if your car is traveling 180 mph and you guideway you chose is 4 miles long you will be off the guideway in about a minute and a third if your event was at launch.  That is a pretty quick response time for any emergency.  At high speed you would be able to coast off the end in almost every situation in a city wide grid covering a metropolitan area.  These guideways are stitched throughout the city so you are constantly coming back down from a low overpass height.  No one freaks out going over an overpass any more.

I think I have bored most of you by now so I will stop.  After operation of a PRT system in demonstrated we can get a glimpse of the numbers representing how much safer PRT than trolleys et. al.  As suggested earlier we do need to include damage on both sides of the sheet metal for that activity.  Overall I would not push how much better PRT would be than public big box transit because for the 2% that ride it it is general pretty safe.  Slow, but generally safe if they have enough police or the town is not degenerated.

Item two of your list is next.

Jerry Roane

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Jeff Davis <jeff.d...@verizon.net> wrote:

[...]

snip---

Jeff Davis

Feb 13, 2012, 2:31:11 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Manning, Jerry Schneider
Dick,
I got all of the information.  I'm at my day job and can't respond to all emails.  Fortunately I received a lot of useful feedback and information that I need to sort through.  Unfortunately, its' a lot to go through and think about, but I don't mind.  I will try to get to your email, and if I haven't responded within a few days, please ping me with a little reminder.

Jeff

Richard Gronning

Feb 13, 2012, 2:47:18 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeff.

kirston henderson

Feb 13, 2012, 3:41:34 PM2/13/12
on 2/13/12 1:14 PM, Richard Gronning at rgro...@gofast.am wrote:

Hi Dennis,

While Skyweb Express uses the grab-on vertical axle wheels for switching, so does Vectus. I'm sure that I could find a number of other designs that do this too. Jeff has more studying to do.

   Some other systems also use this type of switching as well as for steering.  Such systems are generally satisfactory for low-speed systems, but the steering is a bang-bang system in which the steering tends to jerk from side to side, resulting a passenger-felt lateral jerking and side to side swaying of the vehicle.

Kirston Henderson
MegaRail® Transportation Systems

Jack Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 3:51:05 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I also think this is the switching system for Morgantown.  It works fine for my Skytrek bench model,  and is what I plan to use.

Jack Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 3:51:35 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kirston!

Your posts are very informative. I've wondered about these "steering systems" for a wile now. Your post on monorail jerks made me wonder about the "U" guideway systems from this area. Will they jerk at even moderate speeds? (Probably.)

Dick

Dennis Manning

Feb 13, 2012, 4:20:27 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff:

Sorry for my abruptness but your first response to my question was rather flip. For all your experience you still haven't gotten to the nubbins. Show me a non-in track monorail switch. If you have to move the beam you don't have PRT.
The central point about in track switching is that it's too slow for PRT. All this leads to determining the minimum safe headways. Judging from our phone conversation we are very far apart on what we consider safe headways for PRT systems. If you think in terms of minimum 10 second headways all of us may just as well toss PRT out the window.

Dennis

Feb 13, 2012, 4:28:05 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

>>Kirston has quite accurately responded to what I meant. I'm all for cool,
>>neat looking concepts and don't get involved too much until they try to
>>move into the real world. Some time ago I reviewed a really sleek looking
>>PRT on a mono-beam concept. Same as everybody I thought it looked great
>>on the drawing board. When they contacted us about realizing the concept,
>>we had the unfortunate task of asking, ok, where are the propulsion
>>motors, air conditioners, onboard electronics, how can people easily get
>>in and out, what if people need to exit in a emergency, ....? Really
>>didn't want to burst a dream, but it was clear they had not performed any
>>real engineering, safety or otherwise. That was some years back and I
>>don't have any of the literature left.
>
> Sounds like SkyTran to me.

Maybe it's all just a semantics problem. SkyTran isn't a monorail. The rails
are close but there are two of them and the vehicle certainly doesn't wrap
around the guideway. The covering might make it look like monorail.

Dennis

> - Jerry Schneider -
> Innovative Transportation Technologies
> http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans
>

> --

> transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.

Jerry Roane

Feb 13, 2012, 7:07:21 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff

Here are my responses to item 2 and 3.  When to hire a transportation professional consultant and why aerodynamic, small frontal area (not small cars) metal on metal rolling vehicles are vastly less polluting and use far less energy than big box transit from the big box store.

There is a time to bring in a technology expert in the development of any groundbreaking claim.  TriTrack was fortunate enough to find such an expert here at the University of Texas at Austin Aeronautical Engineering Department for just the cost of the apparatus to be tested.  The wind tunnel and workforce to conduct independent verification of the subsonic wind tunnel performance of TriTrack with the wheels out configuration and wheels retracted configuration were tested at 1:27 scale inside their sub sonic wind tunnel.  The size was dictated by making my model the exact same frontal area as the university's calibration sphere for that wind tunnel and there was built a guideway simulation that was independently held from below that simulated the guideway as it interacted with the precision aluminum scale model.  The independent test result showed a Cd of .07 in the wheels in configuration and at that Cd you can imagine how much higher performing TriTrack will be than anything on the road today or anything on rails.  Further looking into expert independent research for high speed rail conducted by the University of Virginia for the US government showed that if you add a smooth additional car to a high speed rail train that the resulting Cd is .10 for that extrusion shape of the lead car.  What that says is that platooning using high speed traditional shapes is not as good as well designed aerodynamic cars at .07 from .10.  Independent verification is important both for presenting to the educated public but also for presenting to the investor class.  They need to know you did not make up the numbers that prove any particular aspect of your claims for the product.  You mentioned that you did stopping calculations so that lets me know a tiny bit about where you are coming from.  That lets me know you know something of the vehicle energy equation and probably some about where energy is dissipated while a vehicle square or smooth goes.   The equation for cars at 180 mph is dominated by the aero component.  That said the rolling friction is still present and although not dominant it is its portion of the drag that must be opposed with tractive or repulsive energy.  Does your consulting service work with subsonic aerodynamics?  Do you have the equipment or software simulations to tweak a shape to minimize drag?  Do you have the expertise to analyse crash restraint systems for projecting survivability?  That might be of value to some on this list.     The ability to hold passengers seated with padded elements resisting their motion out of their seats is where you would start on consulting for crashes for any high performance transportation system.  Do you have experience and/or expertise in restraint systems like on a roller coaster?  That would be of interest to me.  Once you know the decelleration of the cars that would be survivable then you can work back from the stationary guideway to use means to stop the passengers in their seats.

You will notice that the very term brick wall stop will rustle the feathers on most on this list because it brings so much baggage with that term.  The brick wall has been discussed and cusses on this list many many times and each time the conclusion of the members is that we need a better concept for car passenger protection that some mythical brick that suddenly appears from magic.  We all know the intent but brick wall stops as a term and as a concept is not productive.  What we need is passenger safety in terms of living through a bad situation.  Scratched paint or torn panyhose is not important.  Having some odd requirement that the tea in the dining car not be spilled while stopping a train to save a life is just silly history.  Like it being illegal to whistle under water in the state of New Mexico.  Last I checked it was illegal but still silly.  The railroads bring us a lot of interesting lore but not much usable engineering.  Railroads have all the laws because they have been around so long but that does not apply to non-trains and the head of the FRA told me in person TriTrack was not rail.  He was trying to snub TriTrack but in doing so he relieved himself of control or a petite triangular monorail.  If a system on this list has been developed then obviously they have engineers working on the project and most likely the CEO has a technical degree so there is little need to hire a consultant that is not better at some aspect of the project than the worker bees.  That said any engineer or physicist brings their experience and unique perspective on any project and one more objective opinion is usually a good thing.  If you are tying to make a career out of getting the guys on this list to pay your fees you are going to eat a lot of jelly sandwiches.  We spent our cash on the product.  If you are an advocate and like this for the sake of mankind and want to contribute to the advancement of all then your free advice is certainly welcomed.      Enough about consulting.

Energy to move a car is represented by the addition of all drag components of a car.  Aero drag is the frontal area times the Cd.  Rolling friction is rolling coefficient and speed.  Picking American sedan numbers and plugging them into the calculator on http://tritrack.net/horsePower.html
does all the hard work for you but basically gives the information you suggest you calculate all the time.  The fact that a car is electric is only a tiny part of the issue and in fact it confuses the public in general.  The myth that electric cars pollute as much as gasoline or worse yet diesel is pervasive.  Even the diesel statement is misunderstood by the average guy who thinks they know something about the vehicle equation.  The use of electric motors versus fossil fuel distillates is on the supply side.  The reason electric cars are far better than gasoline or diesel is the opposite side of the equation.  What is not obvious is that electric cars are power limited and energy limited.  This forces the designs to be energy efficient and power efficient.  Nothing but horrible gasoline mileage forces a gas car to be efficient.  Since there is so much chemical energy in a gallon of fuel gas cars can be horrendously inefficient and they still get acceptable (to the moron) gasoline mileage.  (I say moron because as we die as an economy it is imported crude oil that underpins the decay)  My personal quest into electric car design was as a teenager with way too much horsepower in my second car.  That car could burn the tires to the ground and I could burn rubber in all gears.  It got 10 mpg on the highway and 8 in the city.  That car was perfect just in time for the first oil embargo.  All that power and teenage prestige all parked on the driveway and not enough gas to fill the tiny 12 gallon tank.  From the racing background that was in that 3/4 race street rod came the energy efficient electric car.  The same principles apply whether building a street rod that was never beat or building the next revolution in electric cars.  My 10 mpg car cannot beat my all electric car driving either legally or illegally.  The difference in the technology is 35 years of research and testing and soaking up specific knowledge toward a specific goal.   Study shows that a class C airship has drag coefficients that are compatible with pushing a lighter than air ship at pretty good speeds.  This body of knowledge is readily available in the engineering texts.  Did anyone apply this to the car--- Not for a long time.  Can cars get 60 mpg?  Yes only one does in production that is not electric and using the mpgE.  I used to push the concept of MPGe early on but now I have switched over to ignoring that old system that most people can't figure out and relate to.  It was an attempt to keep energy the same but it fails on so many fronts that I have abandoned the concept.  BTU per passenger mile is a far easier to understand concept for most people.  They have no feeling for what a BTU looks or smells like but they can look at the numbers and see where the energy is leaving.  For a while I even tried equivalent money as most people can grasp the dollar flow out of their pocket but money does not even come close to explaining how our economy is being destroyed from underneath as imported oil ruins our buying power in the global economy.  The price of gasoline is so filtered it is essentially meaningless and gives the SUV buying public a false impression of reality.  From this last statement you may think I am a lefty and from other statements you may decide I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun.  You won't figure out which of these I am because this topic is not one dimensional.  It is if any thing four dimensional and we all better get it right or the future generations are in trouble.  Oil buying is our enemy more than any other item in our modern world.  Going fully electric on an energy budget that is compatible with real time energy conversion is the holy grail.  With aerodynamic cars with wheels retracted and using batteries and 94% efficient electric motors (readily available) we can easily hit the energy budget of real time.  Once we hit real time energy from the sun there is no need to go further.  Free if free.  It is not very taxable though so the fight to stay on oil continues.

Once this concept of free energy is released it takes the discussion far away from where it is now.  If we can go anywhere for the cost of our time and the initial installation then what does that do to modern planning theory?  It blows them completely up.  If the only cost to go 180 miles is 1 hour of your time then it may induce new miles traveled but then if you want to drive 24 hours you can.  With free energy comes no air pollution.  If you have no sin attached to travel then you are free to go wherever you want whenever you want to go.  Urban planning based around social engineering disappears.  If you still wish to social engineer you have to find a new whipping boy.

You are probably thinking what the hell?  Can cars really run on the real time energy conversion from the sun?  Lets look at the available energy from the sun to see the feasibility.  According to my almost favorite web site world-o-meter the sun hitting the Earth so far this day is 2,012,700,000,000 MWHr.  So sunshine is not the limiting factor.  Sanyo makes a 21% energy efficient panel you can buy off ebay so converting that sunshine is not hard or expensive.  China has just dumped the price of these panels with a 16% efficiency so depending on whether you are rich in land or rich in cash you can get a deal on panels.  If the pv panels are under the guideway then the panel area for each car is the width of the panel times the nose to nose distance of the cars as they travel.  If the cars load at one car length they spread out to following 137 feet.  This much panel gives enough power in a city to power the entire city mobility.  I did these calculations for Greater Denver in my talk to Solar 2006.  (standing ovation) With a little tweaking of any of the elements the width of the pv panels just narrows from 7 feet wide.  All this is at full speed by the way.

Again you are saying what the hell?  How can a car be so energy efficient it can run on sunshine hitting the path?  The Cd of .07 is key of course but also is the small frontal area.  The TriTrack is 20 feet long and I have two of these shapes in my garage with my machine shop.  It is a tight squeeze around the tips of these car shapes (one mold one car) but it fits.  The difference is the frontal area is only 12.055 square feet.  This makes for quite a large car but looking at it straight on like the wind sees it at 180 it is a circle with an area of 12.055 square feet.  These two things combine to shatter the stereotype.  Now lets tweak your image a little.  There is a triangle shape cut the long way through this car in the belly and that is where either the guideway goes or the battery mule goes.  It is this shared volume in the car that lets it be dual mode (independent of if it is operated as PRT) and the triangle allows the air to escape away from the car body without causing wind drag.  Again the .07 is with a guideway present in the wind tunnel model.  The fact that I jam a 35 hp motor in the car and run it on lithium iron phosphate batteries is almost unimportant at this time.  Once you knock out the energy inefficiency of the form of the car I could slap an industrial lawn mower motor in there and do great but I hate the smell, the noise and the vibration of such a beast.  My farm zero turn lawn mower is almost exactly this power but it is not refined and not all that fuel efficient.  Battery electric allows me to have a luxury ride experience and put out zero emissions.  Zero as in zero.  Not almost zero.  Not oh I shifted them out 100 miles from the nearest cow.  Zero.

My day job is making battery powered equipment and we amaze most people when they see our stuff operate. (9000 watt-hours)  Idle reduction is the present market not because of all this clean air leftist stuff but because diesel and that blue crap is very expensive.  We save a lot of money for our customers and by the way we clean up the air and we burn less foreign oil.  We do it with a two year warranty on the battery but that is being conservative so we aren't buying any extra abused batteries.  If we have control over how the equipment was being used the warranty period would go up significantly from 2 years.  Unfortunately the world has been trained by the current car battery supply chain.  They create batteries that die on command.  The internal construction is intended to last the warranty period period.  That is why you can buy a one year battery or a two year battery.  They are engineered to fail.  The difference is designing a battery to succeed and not designed to fail.  My source for Chinese batteries is even lower priced and longer lasting.  California payed for some research on lithium batteries and with shallow discharge they saw 300,000 cycles.  My mother is driving my oldest generation Prius and the batteries in that car are still going.  That is because of shallow discharge.  Battery swap allows for shallow discharge but full value.  The cost per charge/discharge cycle is very very low at 300,000 cycles.  It would be a dollar if the battery pack was $300,000.00 which it is not.  My battery pack is comparable in price to the gas tank and fuel pump on your car from the dealer.  Notice I cheated and used dealer pricing on your end but as batteries are more mainstreamed you would be a fool to go buy a gas tank and fuel pump for a car in a few years.  Volt drivers are publishing their operating costs.  They are shockingly low to those who drive a Cruize.  Chevy rough equivalent.

Back to equations.  TriTrack going 180 mph with wheels retracted uses 35.5 hp.  If you click the link above you can enter your own car's parameters and get numbers to match.  Here are the numbers for a wheels retracted TriTrack

weight of car 300
weight of passengers 180 each
number of passengers 4
starting speed 40
acceleration .69
final speed 180
drag coefficient .07
frontal area 12.055
coeffieient of rolling friction .004 (steel wheels on metal guideway)

Average American example
weight of car 3250
weight of passengers 180
passengers 5
starting speed 0
acceleration .5 G
final speed 60 mph (EPA highway speed)
Drag coefficient .32
frontal area 26
coefficient of rolling friction .015
22.2 hp to maintain highway speed and 200 hp to accelerate at 1/2 to 60 mph.  0-60 in 5.5 seconds

This would be a turbo charged car to get to 5.5 seconds 0-60.

As you play with the numbers it will become apparent that electric motors using shallow discharge swappable batteries (swapped at every guideway segment) are more than sufficient to power a high speed vehicle intended for that purpose.  This is not rocket science but the same engineers who ended up being rocket scientists did this work.  It was ignored for many decades because oil was cheap back in the day.

What I was working up to but diverted was the air inlet control valve on the car body.  Under the car if I create a small pressure increase the car body can float on the guideway.  By letting a computer controlled amount of air under the car I can take some of the rolling drag off the car.  By controlling how much air goes into the air conditioning system versus how much gets dumped I can float the car on air like air hockey.

Further if you check on wikipedia for rolling trains on tracks you will see that a ton of freight can be hauled with 341 BTU per ton mile.  A barge can float a ton mile with 510 BTU and a Mac truck needs 3357 BTU.  If you go full Fedx you are burning 9600 BTU for that ton-mile.  As you compare 9600 to 341 it is obvious that flying cars versus guideway pods would be hard to justify for the future.  Since the loaded TriTrack is half a ton you can see how it might be the answer for the future.

Charging battery efficiency has to compare against voltage transformations and brush resistances.  This is a wash in broader terms.  Carbon brushes wear and at high speed they wear faster.  Sparking will cause a lot of radio interference.  Cooper supplying the high currents necessary for a major deployment will be a significant increasing cost.  Charging batteries is the least expensive once there are millions of these things out on the market.  That is not to mention the number of electrocutions that will occur if you try high voltage bus bars.  If you go low voltage to never kill a worker then you have high currents and much more copper.  Aluminum with stainless clad is one option but it will not be cheaper or more flexible than battery packs that are swapped at the end of every guideway segment.  (patented) No switching only driving on the ground to "switch".  Battery charging is about 97% efficient.  Discharge is about 98% efficient.  Converting AC to DC for charging from the power grid is about 89% efficient.  Converting from PV solar output to DC for charging batteries is 100% efficient.  Acclerating the car from 40 mph to 180 mph with 320 hp linear motor is 87% efficient for 9.3 seconds.  Same on the other end where we suck that 320 hp back off the speed and elevation of the cars as they slow to the ground.  We lose 13% of the energy for 9.3 seconds.  The Prius recaptures 40% of braking energy as a relative benchmark.

If you have any questions about why electric cars are forced to be more energy efficient feel free to question the heck out of this post.  It is crucial that the nation figure this one out before we all go broke and enter our next resource wars.

Car weight is mostly about engine weight.  Once the car designer drops a V8 block in his design weight compounding blows up the curb weight to over a ton.  It is tiny changes to each part that gets the price and weight up.  Every part of the car has to be beefier to accommodate the heavy block.  Even if the block is aluminum like the Vega (fail) the car design weight is greater for the cast iron version of that same model.  Once you buy into the block and weight compounding every part of the car becomes an energy sponge and the roads and parking spots --- everything about cars gets too big too heavy and wastes world resources.

Perhaps you are skeptical about a car that weighs 300 pounds.  Can it take a licking and come back ticking as Timex (out of business 2008) used to say.  Crash time is about crush distance and accelerations to the brain stem for the most part.  If you can keep the brain stem alive through a catastrophic event you will probably succeed.  A 20 foot long car that travels at 25 mph max on the ground will be able to protect it driver from death because the frontal crash crumple zone is 4 feet and the rear crumple zone is 6 feet.  Even if the resulting final speed from an inelastic collision is -15 mph the crush zones are the important part not the final speed of the combination of the two vehicles.  This discussion has to be held with trained professionals who were properly retrained after high school physics where they so over simplify a pool ball collision to make the math easy they misinform the students.  Cars are not pool balls and the final velocity and vector have no real bearing on the outcome to the passengers.  Think of a stunt man who jumps out of a perfectly good helicopter into a 200 pound air bag on the ground.  He is hitting terminal velocity of about 120 mph or if he works it right perhaps he slows to 110 mph then his body hits the air bag and in 4 feet of cushion he comes to a dead stop and reversed direction with a bounce.  The stunt man is not a super human human.  He just knows his physics and doesn't mind showing off while he proves his point.  The air bag is analogous to the crumple zone and the weight of the air bag is almost immaterial to other properties the air bag has like even compression.  300 pounds of composite is all that holds up fighter aircraft on a wing skin.  These things to mach more than 2 (1500 mph) and the weight of the wing skin is sufficient.    Now imagine making a car monocoque body from the exact same materials but in non certified form for cost savings.  Certs are expensive.  The body is quite resilient and flexes unlike a steel car that bends and stays bent when you whack it.  Since electric car components are less than the weight of your passengers the car structure can be lighter to hold it all up.  The battery pack is 60 cells at 5 pound each for the TriTrack Street or 30 cells time 5 pounds each for the shorter range version.  (150 pounds)  Under $3k.  The car companies are trying to figure out how to keep their margins so they don't want anyone to know what batteries for electric cars cost.  They show the race cars (Tesla) and use that battery price with full markup as the cost of batteries.  All wrong and intentionally misleading.  A motor and controller for a sterrt version can be as low as $700 or less than the PCM on your gas car.

Again I am sure I have exceeded my boring limit.  Electric cars even running the nastiest East Coast coal plant are cleaner by far than the average American sedan.  I found the data for you if you care for state by state electric generation properties.  Each state has a different energy mix but I have all the data from all the states so they can't escape.  Bottom line, the pollution for charging even a Nissan Leaf is far less than a gasoline car imagine how much better it would be with a PRT or dual mode guideway car with an actual renewable power source.

CO2 Philadelphia rail .69 pounds / passenger mile  --- Prius .26 pounds per passenger mile   2.65X shameful for CO2

Jerry Roane

More later

Jeff Davis

Feb 13, 2012, 8:02:40 PM2/13/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Jerry Roane
Jerry,
Thanks for the detailed response. It will be a few days before I can get to
really reading and studying what you wrote, but I will. It looks
interesting. For our internal simulations we have always used the Davis
rolling resistance formula (no relation that I know of). Just a brief
question regarding the total rolling resistance. You may have already
provided the answer, but what is the total energy consumption for a lot of
little vehicles versus one large vehicle (using an apples to apples
comparison such as passenger loading, accelerations, and maximum speed)?

No need to answer right away because I simply won't be able to get to this
for a few days. The work that pays the rent has to come first, fun
engineering stuff later.

Jeff.

Jeff

Jerry Roane

More later

Jeff.

<mailto:transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com> .

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators?hl=en.

<mailto:transport-innovators%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com> .

Jack Slade

Feb 15, 2012, 6:11:35 PM2/15/12
to Transport Line
Re-try:  this msg was sent,  but did not show up on the list.....jack S

While I appreciate the time you took to respond (I really do), the explanation is somewhat lacking, if I understand correctly.  For clarification, for any transit system there are a finite number of cars/vehicles/trains. <<<

Agreed:  My formulae for cars to satisfy a system at full capacity, 1 second spacing, 60 Mph speed, is 60 cars for every mile of guideway, plus 2 more for each station. I have not calculated it for other speeds.

   >>> Once vehicles at, or near a given station location are used up, they must be replenished; either from a supply of empties nearby, or wait until an empty returns from a trip.  So, for systems with uneven passenger flow, the system either needs to have enough vehicles to satisfy the surge event near the location of the surge, or return empties back from completed trips.  It’s a closed system, meaning that cars/vehicles/trains aren’t allowed to magically appear where needed, nor magically disappear where not needed.  The taxi analogy is good in that once taxis have completed their fare, they must either find a fare on the way back, or go back empty in order to pick up another fare.  Your hanging around malls being a good example, what to do once a taxi has picked up a fare at a mall and completed a trip.  If there’s no fare readily available nearby, such as people mostly wanting to go from the mall to their home, then the taxi must return to the mall empty.

 This is the way taxis used to operate.  With radio dispatch, and now cellphones, they do very little empty travel....a fare for 2 miles,  a short trip of a few hundred feet to a spot where they can wait for the next dispatch call.  Dispatch knows where they are,  probably by GPS now, and directs them to fares that are close.

(As a side note, due to my business travels, I very often observe taxis sitting with the engine running either in cold weather to keep the interior warm, or hot weather to keep the interior cool.  Just imagine the volume of energy consumed and the corresponding CO2 given off.  If anybody wants to respond that this is quite insane and not sustainable from an energy point of view, no objection from me.)

This applies to all Transport systems, so it is neutral to our discussion.  At best, it is a minor point,   in favour of PRT,  if cars are designed properly:  Small volume,  better insulation, smaller windows, shaded waiting areas.(OOps...just lost my colour options)

I am aware of empty seats on transit systems and the need to route empty vehicles/trains to where they are needed, such as a loop system.  My main point was that any analysis of a PRT System must consider empty vehicle movements same as any other transit system.  The airlines have been dealing with this issue for a long time, i.e. only just so many planes, and they need to get planes from where they end up to where the demand is.  It really is no ‘accident’ that they offer cheap fares to get from B to A; it’s because they need to fill the seats from B to A so that the plane with its’ seats, is available on the real money making journeys where people only want to travel from A to B.

 PRT is still cheaper:  All those systems have to schedule crews or drivers to move those machines. Flying an empty plane from B to A uses up some of the 25 hours that a pilot is allowed to fly each week. Salaries use  up 70% of farebox on some bus line stats that I get to see, and I have no figure for Airlines.  PRT cost is just a very small energy consumption.

May I suggest that you do not ask several questions in one posting.  It gets confusing when many people answer parts of it.

Jeff.

Jeff Davis

Feb 16, 2012, 12:11:56 PM2/16/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com, Jack Slade
Jack,
Again, thanks for the time and effort you spent.  Unfortunately for me I have had not enough time lately to read and digest it all.  Had multiple deadlines at work and then Valentine's Day (absolutely cannot 'dis the wife).  Several people provided some good responses and I really hope to get through all of the material at some point.

Jeff

Jeff.

ur...@pacbell.net

Feb 17, 2012, 9:01:21 PM2/17/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry-

I have been wanting to "upgrade" my 2004 Ford Taurus to full EV status, or to get a '65 Mustang body and chassis and make it into a modern EV, for the same reason the rich guy put the old Charger body on a new chassis. Sadly, I'm not rich. But it's nice to know where I can go if I want to get the custom work done...

Jerry Roane

Feb 17, 2012, 11:39:47 PM2/17/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
If your response was to me Jerry Roane I think that making a heavy old car into a slow short range electric is not a good use of money.  If you go old enough you can find cars like the model T that might be light enough to become battery powered but they have a poor Cd so you will be going slow.  The Taurus or classic Mustang will not make you happy even with a large electric motor and controller and expensive high tech batteries.  If you want to build your own electric you should start thinking about up converting a bicycle because the power and energy range of affordable electric power is able to power a hot rod bicycle with full faring.  If you do a little searching around on the Internet you can observe what works from others who have tried.  There is always someone's discarded electric conversion you can buy and you will notice a trend of about 40 miles range with lead batteries and slow acceleration for a steel body American car.  The Tesla is a converted Lotus Elise sort of and that car was very light weight before they started and the price is in the $100,000 range.  Of course they got carried away with making it a hot rod in my opinion but to get even a light weight car to go fast like that Mustang as it came stock you will need to dump a lot more cash into motors, controllers and fancy chemistry batteries today.  Far more than the car is worth so it won't make sense to do a conversion of something too heavy.  Again search the Internet for half finished conversions and you will see what is possible and what is wishful thinking.

What guideway does for the electric car is the boost from the launch motors not in the car give you the fast acceleration and allows the car to have a much smaller motor than otherwise it would need.  Battery swap allows the battery pack to be many times smaller in total stored energy keeping it light weight enough that you can push it with a small motor.  The controller costs go up with current you are trying to use so keeping the voltage reliable and high will keep your control electronics cost down.

To get a grasp on what electric cars do with lead batteries jump in an E Z Go golf cart.  That is pretty much what they will do.  Decent takeoff low top speed.  You can get rewound motors for these carts that will make the carts go faster by taking away the design margins but the golf cart is not going to be doing highway speeds.  With gear changes you can get more top speed while still having hill climbing ability but when you add shifting gears to the car now you introduce inefficiencies of the gears running in oil of some kind.  Again you gain some top end but lose across the board so many electric cars are one gear ratio.

I price out this stuff all day long in my day job and with a tiny performance rise in horsepower you get a huge increase in cost and weight.  Copper is expensive and motors are mostly copper.  Just reality.  To get more horsepower you need more diameter and the volume of the motor and all that copper goes up very fast with a small hp increase.  Price a few motors and you will see the steep price curve for more power.  Batteries are the same but on steroids.  A little more performance and the prices skyrocket.  If you can design a car to use low tech batteries you can keep the price reasonable for the average guy but then you are looking at about 40 miles range at 35 mph in a steel car so not recommended by me.

Jerry Roane

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM, ur...@pacbell.net <ur...@pacbell.net> wrote:
Jerry-

I have been wanting to "upgrade" my 2004 Ford Taurus to full EV status, or to get a '65 Mustang body and chassis and make it into a modern EV, for the same reason the rich guy put the old Charger body on a new chassis. Sadly, I'm not rich. But it's nice to know where I can go if I want to get the custom work done...

Michael Weidler

Mar 29, 2012, 3:47:11 PM3/29/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Are there any simulators out there which allow one to "draw" a guideway and then lead the user through creating a system? A SIMS for PRT?

> [...]

is a huge and often untenable commitment of time, energy, and money.)

So: for professionals -- the people who are actually part of the
decision-making process for implementing transport systems -- studying
PRT to the point that you can understand it comprehensively -- not
just the "what" and the "why" but also the exact "HOW" -- requires
months or years of commitment. Few professionals are mad enough to do
that; the light at the end of the tunnel does not seem sufficiently
compelling to warrant such an investment. And that's the real
education barrier, as I see it.

Can it be overcome? Is there some way to dramatically shorten the
learning curve for professionals? I believe that there is, and I'm now
focusing most of my efforts on developing a solution to this problem.
I hope to be able to announce something about this within a few

Dennis Manning

Mar 29, 2012, 7:13:54 PM3/29/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Sure. The folks in Seattle have been making use of one for several years. One of the developers was computer expert David Maymudes.

Jerry Schneider

Mar 29, 2012, 7:47:50 PM3/29/12

Lots more of them at: http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/simu.htm

Michael Weidler

Apr 1, 2012, 11:51:01 AM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Nope. Morgantown has 4 wheel steering. The cars do have guide wheels for determining when they are at the wall of the guideway.

Apr 1, 2012, 11:19:16 AM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Those are normally monobeam - not monorail. The beam does not move. The car bogie rides inside the monobeam and the switching is done by the car not the beam.

> I would be very happy to review what material you have to offer.  I liked
> hear that you guys have asked the same questions internally and may be
> able
> to offer viable solutions.  I probably could have worded my questions
> better
> by indicating that I was speaking about the thin monorail beam type of
> PRT.
>
> Jeff.

Michael Weidler

Apr 1, 2012, 10:10:43 AM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Mono beam like taxi 2000 or skytran, or higherway. That is as opposed to Kirston's dual beam or ULTra's road in the sky.

If "‘Prove why you believe your system is safe’.  This is explored in detail in the various Hazards Analyses.  All suppliers we work with and systems we work on do this in order to build their Safety Case." then how on earth are streetcars and LRT allowed to exist? Or are they just required to prove that the vehicles won't blow up? There is plenty of evidence that neither street cars nor LRT is safe.

Michael Weidler

Apr 1, 2012, 8:41:01 AM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry, the whole thing came through fine for me. Maybe it is whatever you use to read your email? I use Yahoo Mail.

[...]

====
Activate an emergency device on any vehicle just so you can get off and you'll go directly to jail where you belong. I presume you are alluding to the idea that streetcars work more like huge buses (stop on request) rather than trains (stop at station only)? You are correct, that PRT stops only at PRT stations, which are probably farther apart than bus stops. Then again, in "downtown" they may not be any farther apart than bus stops (every other block?).

Assuming that PRT stations are every other block, then the experience of going from the first stop on the line to the last stop is going to be drastically different. On PRT, you won't have to stop every time one of the other 30 passengers wants to get off. It is a direct ride from the stop at which you get on to the stop at which you get off.

On streetcars if I require assistance from emergency personnel, they can get
to me quickly.  PRT?
================
The only time emergency personnel might be required for PRT is if the cab somehow managed to catch fire. In a well designed system with a passenger escape facility they wouldn't be needed then either. In the event of a medical emergency, the car can either pull into the next station and await the EMTs, or be directed to the PRT stop which is inside the nearby hospital.

On streetcars if one breaks down, traffic can go around it, and I can exit
and catch another, or a taxi, or even walk.  PRT?
=========
Simply have another car push the disabled vehicle to the next station.

Modern streetcars have HVAC to maintain comfortable temperatures for
passengers.  PRT?  (Don't be too quick to answer this question until you've
done the energy calculation, and asked existing PRT vendors about climate
control within their vehicles.)
===========
This is one of the reasons why many US advocates are not very enamored with either ULTra or Robbert's company (sorry can't remember the name at the moment).

I'm neither pro-PRT nor pro-streetcar, but you gotta give me something to go
on if you want support.

Jeff.

>> Why do streetcars appear to have "traction" while PRT is still in a
>> holding
>> pattern? Is his framework of the various actors and stakeholders adequate

>> or
>> could it be improved? And so on. No need to be bashful.
>>
>    Streetcar history goes all of the way back to the days of horse-drawn
> streetcars and a lot of people simply can't get them our of their heards.
>
> Kirston Henderson

The biggest difference is almost everyone knows what a street car is and as
recent posts have shown few know about PRT EVEN AMONG SO CALLED
TRANSPORTATION EXPERTS.

Street cars aren't faced with the chore (barrier) of educating the public.

The tightness of the box surrounding transit officials is amazing. They
don't know about PRT because their curiosity level is so low they don't even

inquire about anything outside the trolley box. Bus people are about the
same.

Dennis

Kirston Henderson

Apr 1, 2012, 1:39:50 PM4/1/12

On Apr 1, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Michael Weidler wrote:

Mono beam like taxi 2000 or skytran, or higherway. That is as opposed to Kirston's dual beam or ULTra's road in the sky.

If you look closly at the Taxi2000 guideway, you will find that it is really two beams spaced closely together.  As a matter of fact, the total visual cross section and that of the MicroWay™ guideway are about the same.

Kirston

Richard Gronning

Jack Slade

Apr 1, 2012, 4:39:43 PM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I think it was Roy Reynolds,  a long time ago,  who worked for Boeing when they took over the Morgantown project,  who posted that info to the list many years ago.  I know there are wheels,  but they track either the left guide-rail( bypass a atation) or right guide-rail (enter next station).  Maybe somebody else remembers this?

Jack Slade

Nope. Morgantown has 4 wheel steering. The cars do have guide wheels for determining when they are at the wall of the guideway.

I also think this is the switching system for Morgantown.  It works fine for my Skytrek bench model,  and is what I plan to use.

Roy Reynolds

Apr 1, 2012, 4:58:27 PM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Not me, probably Gronning.

Richard Gronning

Apr 1, 2012, 5:50:28 PM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jack;
Morgantown is what Michael says it is. The system was quickly designed and for smaller vehicles. When they discovered that the headway/load combo wasn't sufficient, they built bigger vehicles. Then they found out that the vehicles couldn't make the corners into the stations. The system has both front and rear steerable wheels.

Dick

Jack Slade

Apr 1, 2012, 7:06:48 PM4/1/12
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
The posting I refered to was a long time ago...way back when the list was called transport Alternatives. I do not have access to stored copies,  and I obviously have forgotten who posted it.  I have seen the vehicles,  but the steering system is not visible to casual observation.
Jack Slade