Hyperlane article in Fortune magazine

jbs

Mar 10, 2017, 2:12:07 PM3/10/17
to transport-innovators

http://fortune.com/2017/03/08/self-driving-cars-hyperlane-2050/

Linking up with ultra rich Uber/Lyft sounds like a good idea to me.

Jerry Roane

Mar 10, 2017, 2:28:09 PM3/10/17
to transport-innovators
Jerry

"with no chance of getting into a jam"

This is where the real world slaps the face of academia.  Things break.  Sensors fail in all ways, open, short, closed circuit, oscillating etc.  The statement just makes them sound like they don't know hardware.  Wheel bearings only need a grain of sand and they are taken out.

On my trip to Silicon Valley we did a tour of the prison on Alcatraz Island.  The federal government parks department had a tram that would climb the steep hill to the prison from the boat landing  and on that one block long trip the axle broke off on the wheel under my seat.  At 120 mph when a fatigue failure happens "with no chance of getting into a jam" becomes crazy talk.  We were able to walk down the steep slope but those with disabilities took a while to finish going down the hill almost missing the boat off the Rock for the night.  There were loud squeaking noises that the driver ignored that might have clued in a more mechanically inclined individual to get his tram serviced.  He knew his job was to operate the throttle and the steering wheel.  The fact that his trolley was about to break was not his job.  The axle failure was more of a joke than a disaster but it illustrates the lack of real world contact these two have.  Their argument would be stronger if they backed off on that claim.

Inline image 1

Jerry Roane

Dave Brough

Mar 11, 2017, 10:49:03 AM3/11/17
to transport-innovators
"Hyperlane leverages pre-existing highways and benefits from dynamic pricing for access fees."
It looks like it came out of a kindergarten class.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell it is. (And as you all know, I'm a mensa).

Dave Brough

WALTER BREWER

Mar 11, 2017, 2:17:15 PM3/11/17
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe there are little boysa?

Walt Brewer

Subject: [t-i] Re: Hyperlane article in Fortune magazine
To: "transport-innovators" <transport-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 10:49 AM

"Hyperlane leverages pre-existing highways
and benefits from dynamic pricing for access
fees."It looks like it
came out of a kindergarten class.

For the life of me, I
can't figure out what the hell it is. (And as you all
know, I'm a mensa).
Dave Brough

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators.

Dave Brough

Mar 11, 2017, 5:19:03 PM3/11/17
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Here's it is: Hyperlane is a "single platform the size of four interstate lanes that would run parallel to pre-existing highways in order for self-driving cars to travel at high speeds with no chance of getting into a jam."

Impressive or what?

Dave Brough

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM, WALTER BREWER <catc...@verizon.net> wrote:
Maybe there are little   boysa?

Walt Brewer

 To: "transport-innovators" <transport-innovators@googlegroups.com>

WALTER BREWER

Mar 11, 2017, 5:58:42 PM3/11/17
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Good luck getting politics, smart growth, NIMBY agreement on land use.

Expansion planned for years on most busy I-5 north out of San Diego was reduced by one lane each direction by NIMBYs who who would have to reduce barbaque space. Act of CA Legislature.

Subject: Re: [t-i] Re: Hyperlane article in Fortune magazine
To: transport-...@googlegroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 5:18 PM
from it, send an email to transport-innova...@googlegroups.com.

Jerry Roane

Mar 11, 2017, 7:11:10 PM3/11/17
to transport-innovators
Walt

I don't need any luck for this.  Urban decline from no workers to refresh the elite's mead will do it for me.
Austin's two top problems are #1 Traffic congestion and 2# affordable housing.  Forcing a condo building to have to low rent closets on each floor has not worked.  Forcing "affordability" has never worked.  It just creates more inequality and disdain.

Adding two stacked pairs of guideway won't take any more land.  Using eminent domain as a weapon you can shut down that NIMBY idea. If they bitch take their entire lot and pay per acre prices.  Add guideway then give them the option to buy back their home minus the avigation rights at a public auction.  They get right of first refusal.  Highways are poorly strategised when flipping property.

Jerry Roane