TEDxNavesink preview tonight/other events of interest

Sarah Klepner

Feb 29, 2016, 11:01:54 AM2/29/16
to Daniel Ciaglia, transition-red-bank, transition-m...@googlegroups.com
From Lynn Humphrey, who maintains a community calendar at bizeturtle.com
See below for events for educators and others..

Monday, February 29
TEDXNAVESINK OPEN REHEARSAL
7:00 PM  - 9:00 PM
Monmouth University's Bey Hall Young Auditorium.
400 Cedar Avenue, West Long Branch
RSVP: tedxna...@gmail.com
A Free Event Featuring two local TEDxNavesink speakers,
Dr. Walter Greason of Monmouth University, and Mayor Dina Long, of Sea Bright. These local makers will
rehearse their talks for the TEDxNavesink Makers conference which will be held April 9. Lead by TEDxNavesink's
Phil Kuntz, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist at Bloomberg, and MK Harby, TEDxNavesink speaking An opportunity for faculty,
students, and the community to experience and engage in the preparation and rehearsal of an actual TEDx talk.
Takeaways include a preview of the TEDxNavesink Makers conference; learning to present ideas based in a narrative to
improve impact and interest; shaping TED-style talks; and engaging
in a give and take discussion with speakers, curators and speaker coaches.

Tuesday, March 1
FOLGER/ESU TEACHING SHAKESPEARE WORKSHOP
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Two River Theater
21 Bridge Avenue, Red Bank
Registration Fee: $50
includes tuition and teaching materials
Credit card or check (payable to "The English-Speaking Union") accepted.
A program of the English-Speaking Union and the Folger Shakespeare Library
Tools that are needed to bring Shakespeare to life
Workshops lead by experts from the Folger National Teacher Corps
and focus on the Folger Four  (scholarship, performance, curriculum and assessment).

Wednesday, March 2
MONMOUTH CONSERVATION COMMUNITY FOCUS GROUP
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Fort Monmouth Recreation Center
2566 Guam Lane, Tinton Falls
RSVP: 732-671-7000, abroc...@monmouthconservation.org
Are You Interested in Creating PARKS, Preserving FARMS, and
Protecting WILDLIFE and LAND in Monmouth County?
MCF has been dedicated to the cause for the past 38 years!
We need your help.
You are our eyes and ears - tell us what is going on in your town.
We want to hear from you and brainstorm ways we can help.
Let's ensure Monmouth County remains beautiful for this generation and the next!

Thursday, March 3
BREAK THE BIAS AGAINST WOMEN FAIR
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Brookdale College, SLC
765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft
Info: 721-224-2635
An event to educate students and visitors about the issues that continue to
affect women – income disparity, gendered violence, equal rights, and education.
The Break the Bias Fair will include activities to raise awareness about the bias
young girls and women face on campus, in our society, and in the world.
Presented by Alpha Pi Theta, Brookdale’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, and WILL – Women in Learning & Leadership.

Monday, March 14
TEACHER WORKSHOP
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Brookdale College, SLC
765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft
Info: 732-224-2074
Fee: $20
Recommended for Middle and High School U.S. History, civics, American Studies, English
language arts and humanities teachers

CHOICES IN LITTLE ROCK: AN APPROACH TO TEACHING THE CIVIL  RIGHTS MOVEMENT
In 1957 nine black teenagers faced the angry mobs when they attempted to desegregate Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas.
In this workshop we will examine this pivotal moment in U.S History and explore ways to engage students in the
issues raised by the American civil rights movement and  their implications today

Wednesday, March 23
OPEN REHEARSAL: PERICLES
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Two River Theater
21 Bridge Avenue, Red Bank
RSVP: 732-345-1400
Join us for a staged rehearsal of Two River’s Pericles, an epic
adventure story being given a new twist at Two River this Spring!
Director David Schweizer, composer/performer Rinde Eckert, and actors
in the company will give you a glimpse into a scene or two from
Shakespeare’s play, enriched by Eckert’s original music and an

evocative new setting—a dive bar at the end of the world.

Saturday, April 9
MAKERS-TEDxNAVESINK
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monmouth University, Pollak Theater
400 Cedar Avenue, West Long Branch
Tickets: $40, $70, $90
TEDxNavesink MAKERS will explore the essence of creation.
We’re all makers, and sometimes we choose to make a difference.
We’re revolutionaries who only see malleable things to be
deconstructed and reconstructed into better things.
Meet 30 makers. Featuring Walter Greason
Life is what you make it. Make your mark.
http://tedxnavesink.com/makers-speakers/
Hosted by TEDxNavesink

Wednesday, May 11
COLLOQUIUM 2016
9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Brookdale College, Collins Arena
765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft
Info: 732-224-2074
Admission: $5
A Must for Grades 5-12
In 1957 nine black teenagers faced the angry mobs
when they attempted to desegregate Central High School in
Little Rock, Arkansas
Come hear Terence Roberts share his experience as a
member of
Little Rock Nine He was 15 years old at the time.

Mrs. Lynn Humphrey
Fortune-Vaccarelli Committee Member

T. Thomas Fortune House
94 Drs. James Parker Blvd, Red Bank
National Historic Landmark

Donations
Online Donations can be made via our Rally Page
Checks can be sent to Red Bank Men's Club Foundation
with Fortune Project in the memo.
Send to
Thomas Fortune Project
c/o Red Bank Men's Club Foundation