Social Action: Green building workshop/Nov. events

Sarah Klepner

Nov 4, 2016, 8:35:10 PM11/4/16
to Daniel Ciaglia, transition-red-bank
Nov. 5-6: Workshop - Green Building techniques
Nov. 13: Film - Defying the Nazis
Nov. 14: Talk - Living a Trash-free Lifestyle
Nov. 19: Swap - and Repair- Clothes
Nov. 20: Music - United We Sing

****Check out Before the Flood, Leonardo Di Caprio's journey around the world surveying the landscapes under threat due to human activity:

And a very hopeful project: http://terranova.tamera.org/#trailer

Workshop: Learn Sustainable Building Methods
Sat. Nov. 5 and Sun. Nov. 6
12-5 pm (drop-in)
Tinton Falls (see below)

From Matt Maltz, co-presenter of last month's Earthship green housing talk:

I will be having a Birthday Build this Friday, Saturday & Sunday 11/4-11/6 from 12pm-5pm. Come by, hang out and learn sustainable construction techniques and concepts inspired by Earthships!

Food and drink /beer will be served, experience of any level is welcome, and material donations of any kind are accepted.

Scope of work will consist of :

• Wood pallett Construction
• Cutting glass bottles & making of bottle-brick walls
• Earthbags & thermal mass
• Using masonry, granite, mortar & concrete
• Waterproofing & sealing of structure

Really excited to spread some knowledge, inspire and connect with new and old faces.

Contact me for location if interested.

Matt Maltz
732-614 -3686

                                        *********                                     Social Action film series: Defying the Nazis

Sunday, Nov. 13

5 pm

1475 West Front Street, Lincroft

Unitarian meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

Co-directed by Ken Burns, Defying the Nazis tells the story of Waitstill and Martha Sharp, a Unitarian minister and his wife, who left their children in the care of others to travel undercover into Europe to help rescue hundreds of people- including political dissidents- from the Nazis. http://www.defyingthenazis.org/
For more info, contact danci...@gmail.com.

                                           *************

Green Networking Meeting at Tea 4 U
Trash-Free Living with Kirsten Kristensen
Mon. Nov. 14
7 pm
45 Monmouth Rd, Oakhurst (Ocean Twp)
Tea4U at the White House (tea4u.com)

America Recycles Day is Nov. 15! Come hear Kirsten Kristensen, owner of Tea4U and host of the Green Networking series, talk about  going beyond regular recycling to developing a truly trash-free lifestyle. Kirsten will explain utilizing TerraCycle as well as creative reuse methods.
Tea will be served. Free (donations accepted). Contact kir...@tea4u.com or see tea4u.com for more info.

Join the event page on Facebook - Explore Trash Free Living

                                            *************

Fall Clothing Swap and Repair + Vegan Potluck
Nov. 19
5-9 pm
150 Chestnut Street, Red Bank
Adam and Joey's House

Resuming resilience-building gatherings at the Sobel's, where Transition Monmouth (NJ)got it's start almost 5 years ago.
Bring clothes to repair and/or swap..and a vegan dish to share.
Doris Lin, who made the Transition banner, will bring her sewing machine and demonstrate/assist people in making basic repairs.
Questions: email Doris at veg...@verizon.net.

16th Annual United We Sing           Sunday, November 20th, 4pm                           1475 West Front Street, Lincroft                  Unitarian meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

A multifaith, inter-cultural service of music, word, and dance – voices of different faiths raised in joy and gratitude.  This event had its origins in the aftermath of September 11, 2001.  In anguish and sorrow, we came together from our different cultural and faith traditions to proclaim and celebrate our rich diversity. The healing effect of the evening led us to repeat the event with presentations each year from faith traditions that have included Baha’i, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jain, Jewish, Muslim, Native American, Quaker, Sikh, Unitarian Universalist, and others.

Children are welcome, and refreshments will be served afterwards.

B F

Nov 7, 2016, 12:44:18 PM11/7/16
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Well, I missed the green enginerering event due to a prior commitment.

But this video may be of interest to all:  It shows you how to build strong structures (and other things) out of sand and window screening.

- BF