Sustainable Disaster Relief in PR - Raices Fundraising Campaign

Nicole Wines

Nov 28, 2017, 10:57:19 AM11/28/17
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Greetings everyone,

I want to share just a little bit about the upcoming disaster relief trip that Raíces will be making to Puerto Rico. We are part of a community coalition of non-profit organizations here in Central NJ that are addressing disaster relief, recovery and rebuilding in a sustainable and regenerative way. We are doing this by offering support to grassroots environmental and cultural organizations that are already doing the work on the ground across the island. Hurricane María and her aftermath have been catastrophic for the natural and human worlds in PR, but as things start bouncing back, it is a great opportunity to rebuild for resiliency, in a clean, green and just way. We have identified several organizations and ecological farms that we have worked with in the past and have seen how their work in sustainability has left them in a better position to offer help in rebuilding and preparing for the next major natural event in a sustainable and resilient way. These organizations are Casa Pueblo, Plenitud PR, the PR Resiliency Fund, Don Luis Soto at Finca Mi Casa and the Organización Boricuá de Agricultura Ecológica de Puerto Rico. We will be visiting these organizations and Don Luis' farm the second week of January to bring sustainable disaster relief supplies like seeds, tools, water filtration systems, solar lights and more depending on their needs, as well as provide a helping hand, and document their efforts to help our Central Jersey coalition of orgs develop a long-term strategy and goals for support for rebuilding.

Today is GivingTuesday, and Facebook is waving the donation fees for any funds raised through FB Fundraisers. If you would like to give through our FB Fundraiser here is the link. Every bit helps, so don't think that donating just a few dollars isn't doing anything. The impact we can have by working with on-the-ground, grassroots orgs is so much bigger than we can imagine from here in the states:

https://www.facebook.com/donate/1971620679792686/10156822899158356/

If you don't get to donate through FB on giving Tuesday, or you don't have FB, or don't want to donate through that particular portal, we have a website giving campaign up here:

www.raicesculturalcenter.org/donations/prrelief

That link includes additional info about our trip and what we will be doing with funds raised in this campaign. If you wish to donate supplies instead of funds, please send me an email and I will send you an updated wish list by the end of this week, which I am compiling as I work and comminicate with the organizations listed above. Thank you in advance for your time and generosity!

Peace,
Nicole