Long Branch Community Garden Work Events

Sarah Klepner

Apr 28, 2015, 9:26:15 AM4/28/15
to transition-red-bank

Hello Everyone,

The Long Branch Gardens need a helping hand and who better to ask then folks interested in the Transition Movement! All the gardens are managed organically, are free to the public, serve to benefit the local community and build biodiversity.

The city has three gardens:

Seventh Ave: 87 Seventh Ave between Broadway and Joline Ave across from the Anastasia School Hours: Mon/Thurs 10-5.
Sairs Ave at the corner of Avery Street between S. Bath and Brighton.
Liberty Street at the corner of Union one block north of Broadway at Third ave.

The style of gardening at each garden is unique and not typical of what most community gardens practice. There are no raised wooden boxes and no individual plots with the exception of a portion of Seventh Ave. The gardens at Sairs Ave and Liberty are planted and maintained by myself and volunteers and picked and enjoyed by mostly unseen residents. It is guerilla gardening in a way, (only I have the authority).

I spend the most time at the Seventh Ave garden since it it fenced off and there are open hours. It is on Sairs and Liberty that I need help. The Liberty Street garden is the newest one so it is there that we will be working most Tuesdays from 12-4. As work gets accomplished we will meet at Sairs Ave to work and alternate accordingly.

Please get in touch with me if you are interested in volunteering! Feel free to stop in and visit any of the gardens, anytime.

No gardening experience? No Problem! These gardens are the perfect place to learn about plant ID, weeds, edible wild plants, mulching, insects, disease, pruning, soils....you name it. The act of gardening is essential to the learning process and if you err and kill a tomato, that's ok.

Pick up trash! The public nature of these gardens and peoples carelessness make picking up trash a daily task. You can always stop by and "do a cleanup", at Liberty Street especially.

Hope to see some of you this Tuesday or the next...or the next.....
WEEDING will be on the agenda, deep weeding of our aggressive friend Mugwort.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions but I look forward to seeing you all IN THE GARDEN.
Thanks,
Lisa Bagwell
Manager Long Branch Community Gardens