Re: {Transition Red Bank} Maybe a seed-buying cooperative?

Tim Zebo

Feb 14, 2015, 10:40:49 AM2/14/15
to transitio...@googlegroups.com, Kathy Hjelle
"BF"

Great idea!  We'd certainly be interested.  If you like, I can also forward your email to our Red Bank Community Garden group list and see if people from that group are interested - let me know if that's O.K.

Thanks,

Tim

Feb 15, 2015, 10:47:07 AM2/15/15
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

Sure, it's quite okay.  The more participants, the more likely it would  work.

I would MUCH prefer NOT to be the person coordinating this, right now.  I simply don't have the time.  I would be happy to discuss ideas how to bring it off, though.

I rather suspect that this idea came to me too late this season to be implemented for this planting season.  However, if there's somebody out there willing to take it in hand and go with it, maybe it could be started soon.

Bruce
--
- BF

Alexandra Christian

Feb 15, 2015, 11:02:28 AM2/15/15
to transition-red-bank

I tried coordinating one a few years ago,  it was a little trying getting everyone to agree on what types to get.  Also,  we have about 50lbs of Brovarious organic heirloom seeds so before you purchase more,  you can get a lot from us.

Alex

20150215_110124.jpg

B F

Feb 15, 2015, 11:41:57 AM2/15/15
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
Yes, coordinating could be a major hassle.  I think I'd be trusting about the money end, but choosing which seeds to buy could be a hassle.
I'm reminded of a deli menu -- too many choices.  Maybe we could go with a "fixed menu" instead:  very few choices, but covering a wide range of desirable veggies (or flowers).
So here's the question:  Could your 50 lb of heirloom seeds become the core of a new effort?  (Let us assume for the sake of discussion that you would be willing to take on the work involved.)  Suppose you put up a list of what seeds you have and take orders for them.  Your own mini seed catalog.  YOU decide how many seeds per packet, and all other details.  You set the prices, which should compensate you for expenses.
Meanwhile, participants may request additional varieties to be included, but YOU would decide which ones to get.  The money from the sales of the "core" seeds could be used to finance additional purchases.  Hence, one person would be in total control, but would be taking input from "customers".
This, of course, is just for discussion.  I don't expect this proposal to be accepted as is.
Bruce