Social Action: Life-long Activism/Peace Lecture/Chasing Coral film

Sarah Klepner

Oct 5, 2017, 10:13:53 PM10/5/17
to transition-red-bank
1. Reflections of a Life-long Activist - 9 am Sunday 10/8
2. Science and Ethics - Annual Peace Lecture - 3 pm Sunday 10/8
3. Getting Money Out of Politics - 9 am Sunday 10/15
4. Film - Chasing Coral (on climate change) - 6 pm Sunday 10/15
5. Rally- Love Resists - 2 pm Sunday 10/29
6. Film- Climate Refugees - 7 pm 11/2
**Please see below for follow-up action items from The Best Democracy Money Can Buy**

***All events are at 1475 West Front Street, Lincroft, NJ 07738
Unitarian Meetinghouse (uucmc.org)***
These events are free and open to all (donations are welcome)

“Life as a Social Activist and Advocate for World Peace”
A Dialog with Rena Amada                                                                                   Sunday,
October 8th                                                                                                                          8:45 bagels and coffee, 9 am talk

My activism began during the Henry Wallace presidential campaign in 1948, when I was 16. Through the years, I have actively campaigned against the Viet Nam war and for closing the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant. My latest efforts focused on electing Jill Stein for President. I remain committed to the philosophy that if we join together, each of us can make significant changes for the better in our society. For more info, contact acshe...@att.net.

Rena Amada, a long-time part of our congregation, is a retired Home Day Care Provider.

  See http://www.uucmc.org/grow/sunday-morning-dialog/ for additional upcoming dialogs.

                                                                 ********

Monmouth Center for World Religions & Ethical Thought
Eighteenth Annual Shanti (Peace) Program:

Science and Ethics: How Modern Science Informs Ethics and Peace
by Dr. Mark Lupisella of NASA
Sunday, October 8, 3-4:30pm

This talk will explore bridges between science, philosophy, ethics and peace. Starting with biological evolution, we will explore an evolutionary understanding for human ethics and how it can inform philosophical and ethical deliberations to help build a more peaceful world. Drawing from a book to be published next year, we will explore how modern science supports a relational philosophical framework, including a cosmological perspective that can provide a context for value theory, ethics, and the pursuit of peace. Refreshments and the opportunity for further discussion will follow. For more info, email rcha...@aol.com.

                                                                  ********

“Liberty and Justice for Sale – Represent.Us and the Anti-Corruption Campaign”

David Goodman, PhD & Susan Colby, PhD are team co-leaders of Represent.Us/ Central New Jersey

Sunday October 15th 8:45 bagels/coffee 9 am talk

Are we an oligarchy or a representative democracy? The answer – and the threat – may surprise you and matter more than the Russians! Represent.Us, a national volunteer organization, is leading a campaign across the nation to fix the problem – including in New Jersey.

Now retired, David and Susan have made ending the influence of big money on our political system a priority.

                                                                *********

Social Action film: Chasing Coral
Sunday October 15th
6 pm

Climate activist Lynn Dash, of Citizens Climate Lobby and Monmouth County Climate Coalition will talk about "What We Can Do" and distribute information.

With extensive underwater photography, Chasing Coral documents the remarkable beauty of
coral reefs and the tragedy of their loss from areas around the world due to warming oceans.
Contact sarah....@gmail.com for more info.

                                                               **********

Love Resists - Second Annual Racial Justice Rally and Information Fair
Sunday Oct. 29
2-4 pm
Contact taisha...@gmail.com for more info.

                                                              **********

Film: Climate Refugees
Thursday Nov. 2
7 pm
Presented by Monmouth County Climate Coalition
Contact clima...@gmail.com for more info.

                                                            *************

These actions were mentioned for following Up on the issues raised in The Best Democracy Money Can Buy (screened 9/22).

Sources & Possible Actions:

·         http://www.gregpalast.com/  - investigative journalist, maker of the above film

·         ACLU, Common Cause for info, lawsuits

·         RepresentUs, Princeton—Oct. 15 dialog at UUCMC

·         “Strengthening Democracy” committee of the Indivisible Bayshore group, or Monmouth Indivisible/NJD4

·         Corruption of Democracy team at UUCMC

·         Write to your state and/or national representatives; Letters to the Editor

·         Support/Work for candidate, eg Jim Keady in 4th

·         Participate in actions, vigils….