Social Action: Sustainability talk and film

Sarah Klepner

May 16, 2015, 10:39:03 AM5/16/15
to transition-red-bank, Daniel Ciaglia

Talk: Planting for the Future: Why Save Seeds?

Wendy Weiner

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 7:00 PM

1475 West Front Street, Lincroft - Unitarian Meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

Have you ever thought about seeds as a valuable and vulnerable resource? Come learn what simple steps you can take to protect this source of biodiversity and why it is important.

Wendy Weiner has been a gardener by trade for more than 20 years, most recently she ran a gardening service installing vegetable gardens and mentored new gardeners.  Wendy  has many years of experience teaching classes and leading presentations in her community.

A recent graduate of Seed School and Seed School Teacher Training, Wendy is spreading the good word about why now, more than ever it’s time to save seeds as we are losing diversity and big business has quietly been buying up our small seed companies.

For more info, contact Wendy at ibiker...@gmail.com.

****************

                          Film: Symphony of Soil

Sunday, May 31 6 pm
1475 West Front Street, Lincroft
Unitarian meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

Symphony of Soil is a film that cultivates appreciation of this immensely complex and dynamic resource, revealing the many relationships between soil, water, the atmosphere, plants and animals. It also examines the human relationship to soil, and its use and misuse in agriculture, deforestation, and development, as well.
Along with seed saving, this is about our real paths to the future. Discussion afterwards.
The Monmouth County Master Gardeners will have literature available regarding soil testing, etc. Emaildanci...@gmail.com or call 732-284-6312 for more info.

**********

Community Garden Work Party

Every Tuesday

12-4 pm Drop In

Drop by to help out the Long Branch Community Garden (one of three) at Liberty and Union Streets, Long Branch (one block north of Broadway on Liberty).

Lisa Bagwell, gardener-in-residence, is leading the work.  Bring tools if you have them, but if not, they will be provided. Email Lisa, lisa_b...@yahoo.com, for more info and your availability (if Tuesday afternoons don't work).

Diane Burke

May 16, 2015, 6:54:11 PM5/16/15
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sarah, I signed up...  looking forward to seeing you

Sarah Klepner

May 19, 2015, 12:09:19 PM5/19/15
to transition-red-bank
glad to hear, Diane! see you then :)