Social Actions: Eco-Fairs, Race Talk, Seed/Plant Swap, Author Talk, Climate Lobby

Sarah Klepner

Apr 21, 2016, 1:23:56 PM4/21/16
to Daniel Ciaglia, transition-red-bank
Sat April 23 Eco Fairs
 -Rumson-Fair Haven HS
 -Ocean Township Library

April 27 Let's Talk About Race
Red Bank Library

May 1 Seed/Plant Swap
Asbury Park Boardwalk

May 11 Environmental Author Talk
Red Bank Library

May 14 Citizens' Climate Lobby meeting
Lincroft Unitarian Meetinghouse

Rumson-Fair Haven HS Spring Fest: a day dedicated to environmental awareness and eco-friendly art
presented by the Environmental Club and National Art Honor Society
Saturday April 23  1-5 pm
RFH High School
Baseball Field
74 Ridge Rd, Rumson, NJ 07760
free admission
With food, live music, art, vendors, and environmental orgs
Contact clav...@rfhrhs.org for more info

*************
Ocean Township Celebrates the Earth at the 6th Annual Green-Fest!

                  Saturday, April 23    10 am - 3 pm                   Ocean Township Library   701 Deal Road, Ocean

As a certified Sustainable Jersey© Municipality, Ocean Township Environmental Commission invites you to attend this FREE event focused on creating excitement, knowledge, and enthusiasm for a healthier world and healthier lifestyle for it’s residents.

The Ocean Township Library is the place to celebrate and learn about our planet,
our interaction with its other important inhabitants, and our ability to maintain a healthy planet for future generations.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

See Tomorrow’s Transportation, Today!

Ocean Township resident Per Kirstensen shares his fully electric Tesla Automobile with the community. Take a peek inside and get a look at transportation’s electric future, today!

10:30 am - Spring Into Spring

Spring into Spring with the Ocean Township Intermediate School Chorus as they delight us with the melodic sounds of the season.

11:00 am - 11:30 am - The Energy Hog STRIKES AGAIN!

This foul friend makes ANOTHER visit to the Ocean Township Library Children’s Room and he STILL has a lot to learn. Please, kids, come out and teach him how to be a friend to the Earth!

11:30 am - 12:00 noon - The Buzz on Beekeeping with Ray Pogwist

Join an interactive session and discussion with Beekeeper and Ocean Township Environmental Chair Ray Pogwist, on the time-honored tradition of Keeping Bees.

What does it entail? How is the activity a critical component for the future of our planet? What can we learn from Beekeeping at the local level?

12:00 noon - 2:00 pm - Safe Routes to School Bike Rodeo**

Yee Haw! Round up the kiddos for Ocean Township’s and Safe Routes to School/Meadowlink/EZRide’s Bike Rodeo! Bring your wheels and your helmet for a safety, size, and fit inspection by a Bike Mechanic and a Nurse,
while an OT Police Officer coordinates the rider wrangling with useful instruction. Learn basic road-riding skills on the rodeo
’s

challenge course. Bring your helmet for sizing, or meet with the Bike Rodeo Staff to get fitted for a FREE one (while supplies last) before you ride off into the sunset. (PROGRAM INTENDED FOR PROFICIENT BIKE RIDERS). **Registration required for participation. Stop by the library’s Reference Desk to fill out
and submit the required waiver form and submit prior to the Rodeo.

12:30 pm - 1:15 pm - Discussion on - This Changes Everything, by Naomi Klein Ocean resident Eugene Tyrell will lead a discussion on this crucial issue and pivotal book about climate change’s relationship to everything economic, environmental, cultural, and more.

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - How to Install a Rain Garden at your Home

This informative demonstration, lecture, and how to session will be brought to the Ocean Township Library by the Whale Pond Brook Watershed Association.

3:00 pm - Take A Tour

Take a tour of Ocean Township’s Community Garden at the Middlebrook Apartment Complex

(THIS IS AN OFF-SITE program at 816 Deal Road, Ocean Township, Middlebrook Apartments).
The Middlebrook at Monmouth Apartment Complex provides the locale for the community to come together
and keep this rich garden growing. See where more than 1,000 pounds of produce are grown yearly and donated to our local Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties.

Tables and Ongoing Programs, running for the full-length of the Green-Fest Include:
Anti-Idling Informational Table, Whale Pond Brook Watershed Association, AmeriCorps, Ocean Township Department of Public Works, Demos by Ocean Local Solar Company-
Sea Bright Solar, Monmouth County Park System, and more...

Ocean Township Public Library

A branch of the Monmouth County Library system

Telephone: 732-531-5092 www.monmouthcountylib.org

Contact wanama...@yahoo.com for more info

************

Red Bank Library's Let's Talk About Race series continues..

Wed. April 27   7 pm

Red Bank Library, 84 West Front Street, RB

This month's discussion focuses on Race Amity (friendship) and Healing, with videos and a presentation, followed by a discussion. Hosted by Red Bank resident Patty Whyte. Registration requested, 732-842-0690 x111

*************

Seed and Plant Swap

Sunday May 1    2-6 pm

Convention Hall Arcade, Asbury Park Boardwalk

1300 Ocean Ave, Asbury Park, NJ 07712

Join us for a Seed and Plant Swap.. Bring seeds you've saved, and plants you've started, to share..

Join us regardless of whether you have anything to share. There will be no exchange of money, just swap stories and information.

Contact ibiker...@gmail.com for any questions.

***********

     Environmental Author Talk         with Seamus McGraw

May 11 7 pm
Red Bank Library 84 West Front Street, Red Bank
Join Us to hear award-winning author Seamus McGraw discuss his books Betting the Farm on the Drought and End of Country. Book signing to follow.
Refreshments will be served.
Part of Author Talks 2016 Series. Registration encouraged, call 732-842-0690.

Citizens' Climate Lobby Meeting
Sat May 14  11:30 am - 2 pm
1475 West Front Street
Unitarian Meetinghouse

Citizens’ Climate Lobby is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots advocacy organization focused on national policies to address climate change.

In order to generate the political will necessary for passage of our Carbon Fee and Dividend proposal we train and support volunteers to engage elected officials, the media and the public.

Each month, volunteers gather locally for a conference call where we do three things: educate ourselves by listening to a guest speaker, celebrate our accomplishments, take coordinated action. We teach you how to exercise your personal and political power to the fullest extent.

Meetings open to all.