April Social Actions: water forum, bernie march, film, community fairs

Sarah Klepner

Apr 9, 2016, 6:33:54 PM4/9/16
to Daniel Ciaglia, transition-red-bank
1.Water Quality Forum April 13
2. Bernie Sanders March in NYC April 16, ride the Bus for Progress
3. Film: Earth Days April 17
4. Community Environmental Fairs April 23 (Ocean Twp, Rumson-Fair Haven HS)
      including book talk:  This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs the Climate

post-event: TEDx Navesink, a collection of creative thinkers, see videos: http://tedxnavesink.com/tedxnavesink-videos/

Also see BizEturtle.com for more..

Forum: Drinking Water… At What Cost?
 “Is Our Drinking Water Supply at Risk?”

Wednesday, April 13, Brookdale Community College

7:00 - 9:00 pm

765 Newman Springs Rd. Lincroft, NJ, 07738

Student Life Center: Navesink I & II, Parking Lot 7
(Lot 6 overflow)

Panelists:

Fred Sickels, NJDEP, Division of Water Supply and Geoscience (retired)

Carleton Montgomery, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Executive Director

Dr. Dan Van Abs, Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences

Speakers will discuss how watersheds function, what is required to protect them, the need for infrastructure upgrades and the critical water supply issues facing residents in Monmouth County and across New Jersey.

Community members are invited to participate, ask questions and learn what they can do to help protect their drinking water quality.

SPONSORED BY:
The League of Women Voters of Monmouth County, NJ
A nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest organization that encourages informed and active participation of citizens in government.
For more info, contact Louise Usechak, louise...@comcast.net.

                                                    **********

March in NYC for Bernie Sanders - Saturday April 16
Seats are available on the Bus for Progress, which goes to progressive events (busforprogress.org)

From the Bus organizers, Andy Coleman, Kathy Maher, and Boris Kofman:

At 11 AM on Saturday, April 16, thousands will gather at Foley Square in lower Manhattan for a YUGE rally to support Bernie. At 1 PM, everybody will march through the center of the city to Union Square. See 'March for Bernie NYC' on Facebook or click here for more info about the march

To reserve your seat, visit our registration page

The Bus will leave from Jackson (8 am), and make stops on the Parkway at mile 100 (8:30 am) and 123 (9:10 am).

(I've taken the Bus, had a good experience! -sk)

                                                      **********

Social Action film: Earth Days

Sunday, April 17   6 pm

1475 West Front Street, Lincroft NJ 07738

Unitarian Meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

Earth Days captures the emerging awareness of our environmental challenges, beginning in the post-war 1950s. The film combines personal testimony and archival media for a revealing retrospective of the modern environmental movement.  Written and directed by Robert Stone. See film at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBVGzf-fFl0

Also showing: The Best Group I Ever Joined, produced by Klaus Rittenbach of Citizens’ Climate Lobby/Education. See video at http://bit.ly/speakup4climate

Contact danci...@gmail.com for more info.

Community Environmental Fairs

Saturday April 23

-Rumson-Fair Haven HS

74 Ridge Rd, Rumson  11 - 2  (details forthcoming)

  -Ocean Twp Library, 701 Deal Rd, Ocean 10-3
 Family-friendly events, bee-keeping, garden tour and
This Changes Everything book discussion presented by St. Joe's Metuchen English teacher Eugene Tyrrell   12:30-1:15. Author Naomi Klein describes a truly sustainable economy.