Social Action: 1/14- Reflecting on King (updated) 1/15 - March/Rally

Sarah Klepner

Jan 13, 2018, 1:31:50 PM1/13/18
to transition-red-bank
**See below: Newark march honoring Dr. King on Mon Jan. 15**

Reflecting on King's Teachings with a Present-day Practitioner

Sun. Jan 14
6-8:30 pm
1475 West Front Street, Lincroft
Unitarian meetinghouse - uucmc.org

Join the Social Action Film Series and the Racial Justice Task Force for selected short videos highlighting Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy of agape - unconditional love- and discussion about the viability of this method for our present-day challenges. This summary of Dr. King's philosophy will be a part of our focus as well: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-philosophy#sub4

We are very happy to be joined by Mychal Mills, of KYDS, Konscious Youth Development Services, a youth development program that prepares and creates future leaders in Monmouth County through holistic intervention.*
Also, see KYDS on Facebook.

We will also hear about the Poor People's Campaign
(https://poorpeoplescampaign.org/) which is carrying on the work Dr. King had underway when he was killed and other projects of the Racial Justice Task Force.  The 50th anniversary of Dr. King's assassination is April 4th, 2018, and the public is welcome to participate in the Task Force's plans for commemmoration. See an interview with Rev. William Barber, a founder of the campaign:  www.democracynow.org/2018/1/9/rev_barber_ex_page_to_segregationist

For tomorrow's program, please join and share the facebook event page: Reflecting on King's Teachings

Activists, bring info about your work to share (in print or out loud).

If weather is dubious, please call or text 312-388-2011 or 732-284-6312

*The public is invited to the monthly open mic, One Mic, One Soul, on Jan. 20,  at Kula Cafe, Atkins and Springwood in Asbury Park. More info at One Mic One Soul on Facebook.

                                                   *************

The Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March and Rally Against Inequality, Racism, Sexism, Fascism and War.
Thanks to Carol Gay, also the Green Party of NJ for getting the word out about this.

Dear Affiliates, Friends and Supporters,

Let's be there, folks!  Nothing is more important this Monday than honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Join Us to Commemorate Dr. MLK, Jr. and demand Peace, Equality, Renewable Energy Jobs, and Justice!
465 Dr. MLK, Jr. Blvd, Newark, Noon, Jan 15 - Let's start the year off right.  Let's march against the triple evils of militarism, racism, and materialism, or poverty as some say.  Let's pledge to make this year the year to begin closing the wealth gap. We have lived with egregious income inequality for far too long.

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

From the NJ Anti- War Agenda:

 2018 - A New Year of Anti-War Struggle. Celebrate the  Anti-War Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr!

On January 15, 2018, NJPA, NJ State Industrial Union Council, NJ Green Party and other groups that are part of the NJ Anti-War Agenda are proud to join our sisters and brothers in the People's Organization for Progress on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day to continue his life's call to rally against social injustice, economic inequality and never-ending war. From 12 Noon to 2 p.m.  we will meet at 465 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd next to old Record's Hall in Newark (between W. Market St and Springfield Ave.)

Given the weather conditions that began on January 5 NJ Anti-War Agenda is combining the call for this protest to join POP's already scheduled march and rally at the same location on Monday, January 15 : The Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March and Rally Against Inequality, Racism, Sexism, Fascism and War.

In Solidarity,

Carol