[News] [KS, USA] Derby parents upset over school district’s transgender bathroom policy

Stephanie Stevens

Jun 24, 2016, 9:38:19 AM6/24/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
KSN, KS, USA

Derby parents upset over school district’s transgender bathroom policy

Some Derby High School parents are upset the school district has adopted a transgender bathroom and locker room policy.

By Avery Anderson

Published: June 23, 2016, 9:37 pm
Updated: June 23, 2016, 10:17 pm

[Video]

DERBY, Kan. (KSNW) – In mid May, school districts across the country received a letter from the U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Justice supporting the Obama adminstration’s requirement that all public schools allow transgender students use bathrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identity.

That caused quite a stir in Derby after school officials said they would comply with the law.

Hundreds of Derby parents, like Joplin Emberson, are furious with the Derby school district’s adoption of the transgender bathroom policy at Derby High School.

“I would be exaggerating if I said that I have this great fear that something physical is going to happen with my daughters,” said Emberson. “However, I’m more concerned about the emotional trauma of our students.”

Emberson and others voiced their concerns in front of the Derby school board earlier this week, saying the new policy will not help the intended students.

“We do have some parents that are upset relative to the guidance letter that was issued by the Department of Education and the Department of Civil Rights,” said Derby School Superintendent Craig Wilford.

“I think there will be some boys, male students that try to exploit the system,” Emberson said.

Wilford acknowledges the issue is a controversial one in the community. But, he argues the administration will take steps to make sure the new rule won’t be taken advantage of.

“Absolutely we will monitor who uses our restroom,” Wilford said. “It’s not a free for all for everybody to be able to go in there.

However, Emberson, a father of four, along with more than 460 other Derby parents decided to join a Facebook page called Derby Parents Action Group. It has one purpose: advocating to have the rule reversed.

“The group was really put together to help us take all of the energy that we had, passion we had with this,” Emberson said. “The unity really on our community that agrees that this has to be corrected.”

© 2000-2016 LIN Television Corporation, a Media General company. All rights reserved.

http://ksn.com/2016/06/23/derby-parents-upset-over-school-districts-transgender-bathroom-policy/