[News] [MN, USA] Rebecca, A Local Woman Shares Her Transgender Journey

Stephanie Stevens

Apr 26, 2015, 11:48:55 AM4/26/15
to TNUKd...@yahoogroups.com, transgen...@googlegroups.com, transge...@yahoogroups.com
KAAL, MN, USA

Rebecca, A Local Woman Shares Her Transgender Journey

Created: 04/25/2015 10:59 PM

KAALtv.com

By: Ben Henry

[Video]

(ABC 6 News) -- Millions of people tuned in to ABC to watch, Bruce Jenner: The Interview, as a former Olympic gold medalist came out to the world as a transgender woman. In light of the 20/20 special, an Austin woman wanted to share her story as well.

“I try to survive on a day to day basis,” said Rebecca Campbell.  She has made Austin her home for 20 years, and it’s not until a few years ago until they truly met who she was.

“I’ve been full time since March of 2012. So Austin has seen me dress in three years. When I decided I was at the age where I didn’t really care what people thought. This is me just being me,” Rebecca says, she is a transgender woman as well.

Bruce Jenner: The Interview, hit home for Rebecca.

“Everything he went through I can relate to. Just right on the nose, right on the nose,” Rebecca said.

One of the things they related on was the way they have always felt from an early age.

Bruce Jenner says this to Diane Sawyer during The Interview, “And I hate the word, girls stuck in a guys body I hate that terminology. I’m me, I am a person this is who I am.”

Rebecca had this to say, “I have always thought that this was the way that it was supposed to be. I’m not one of the one to believe that I was born in the wrong body. I was born in the correct body. I was not female assigned male. I was born male I don’t have a problem with that.”

One of Rebecca’s troubles since coming out has been work as she’s been unemployed for over a year with decades of experience in technical services.

“They’ll see my resume; they’ll say we need to get that person in for an interview. I walk in the door. I’m 6’3’’ I have my deep voice that won’t change. Oh, that’s a guy dressed up as a girl. No way are we going to hire this person. So they come out with colorful ways to get around saying we just don’t want to hire you.”

Through her struggles family has proven to help in this transition into a new life.

“I told my dad in July of 2012 when he was 88. And he didn’t know what transgender was. He thought for a moment, and then said; well whatever makes you happy, I’m behind you one hundred percent. I just about lost it,” Rebecca said with a smile.

She tells me she just wants to fit it, so back in Austin if you see her, don’t be shy to say hello.

“Good morning Rebecca, how’s it going, how are you doing? Which is just that, that is enough to get me through the day,” Rebecca said.

Rebecca says for anyone who wants to come out that is nervous or afraid to contact your county as they will help find a support group. Rebecca drives over 200 miles round trip to her support group, and says it’s a huge help.

Copyright © 2015 – KAAL-TV, LLC

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/s3777841.shtml