[News] [CA, USA] Church Sued for Taking a Stand

Stephanie Stevens

Aug 29, 2015, 9:58:20 AM8/29/15
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, transge...@yahoogroups.com
Pacific Justice Foundation, CA, USA

Church Sued for Taking a Stand

August 28, 2015

Dear Friends,

It’s finally happened.  Something we have long anticipated defending and prepared for but still shocking when you read it in court documents:  a church sued for taking a moral stand and encouraging congregants to vote and sign initiative petitions.

We’ve long advised and represented churches as they navigate the waters of IRS regulations and involvement with the great cultural debates of our time.  This church in the Bay Area did the right thing, conducting a non-partisan voter registration drive and encouraging congregants to sign a petition to overturn California’s notorious co-ed school bathroom bill (AB 1266).  In spite of the law favoring the church, a disgruntled member who did not like the church’s Biblical interpretation and the leading of its pastor and elders filed suit in Superior Court.

PJI is now defending this church in court.  We believe this lawsuit is frivolous and outrageous, but it must be taken seriously.  And that’s why our attorneys are putting significant time into providing the best defense possible.

You won’t read about this case in the headlines.  As you can imagine, it’s been a stressful time for the church and its leadership.  We can’t eliminate the real stress of being sued—but we can provide top-notch legal defense to protect our pulpits for the proclamation of truth.

Your support of PJI allows us to strongly defend against these attacks.  We are constantly advising churches and pastors on sensitive issues that we can’t publicize but are vitally important for maintaining the integrity and independence of our churches.

Many historians believe that pastors—the “Black Robed Regiment”—were crucial to the success of the American Revolution.  They denounced tyranny and did something about it, joining the Revolution in droves and encouraging their congregants to do the same.  We need such pastors today!

When pastors take a stand for truth, PJI stands with them.  This is no time for timidity.  This is a time for boldness, wisdom and courage!

Running the Race,

Brad Dacus, Esq.
Founder and President, Pacific Justice Institute

Copyright © 2015 Pacific Justice Institute, All rights reserved.

[VIA EMAIL]