[News] [OR, USA] Roseburg School District policies unchanged since transgender guidelines were suggested

Stephanie Stevens

May 24, 2016, 10:01:58 AM5/24/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
KCBY, OR, USA

Roseburg School District policies unchanged since transgender guidelines were suggested

By KPIC | Monday, May 23rd 2016

[Video]

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Roseburg Public Schools has not changed its policies since the U.S. Department of Education passed suggested guidelines on transgender students.

Those new guidelines recommend that transgender students should be able to use any bathroom or locker room they want.

According to the superintendent Gerry Washburn, transgender discrimination is not an issue for schools in the district.

He says the district always puts the needs of students first.

"We've always done that and we will always do that," says Washburn, "so our anti-discrimination policy is very clear that we'll meet the requirements of Title IV and we will continue to do that."

The guidelines in place are not law, but schools could lose federal funding if they don't follow the suggestions.

© 2016  KCBY

http://kcby.com/news/local/roseburg-school-district-policies-unchanged-since-transgender-guidelines-were-suggested