[News] [NJ, USA] 'Welcoming' policy gains another victim

Stephanie Stevens

Aug 21, 2017, 7:39:39 AM8/21/17
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
OneNewsNow, MS, USA

'Welcoming' policy gains another victim

Monday, August 21, 2017 | Chris Woodward (OneNewsNow.com)

A recent incident at a Target store in New Jersey adds to concerns about the retailer's bathroom and changing room policy.

According to NBC10.com in New Jersey, a man was arrested for allegedly stalking customers in a South Jersey Target fitting room. Police say on August 9th a woman was trying on clothing when she saw a man's hand -- holding a cell phone -- creep under her fitting room door.

Walker Wildmon of the American Family Association (AFA) says this adds to a long list of examples where men have access to women's changing areas and restrooms at Target.

"They can simply be voyeurs without any consequences, and this leads back to why Target even allows men access to women's areas," he adds.

AFA has been boycotting Target for over a year, since the retailer announced it would allow transgender customers and employees to use the bathroom or changing room of the gender with which they say they identify. The pro-family organization maintains it is not about transgender people, rather sexual predators taking advantage of the transgender policy.

"Their policy is attendants are not allowed to correct men from going into women's changing areas," says Wildmon.

A female customer of the South Jersey Target store tells NBC10.com the news was scary and creepy. Another calls it "frightening."

"I mean, when you run into a store, you just expect to run your errands. You don't expect to be targeted or stalked in any way," she says. "It's just frightening."

OneNewsNow.com contacted Target about the incident and received the following response:

"At Target, we want each of our guests to have a safe and welcoming experience whenever they shop at our stores. We are aware of this incident and have no tolerance for this type of behavior. As soon as we were made aware of the incident, we contacted law enforcement and let the perpetrator know that he is no longer welcome at Target. We've shared information with the local police department and encourage you to reach out to them with additional questions."

Meanwhile, police say the suspect may have also recorded women in other dressing rooms at other stores.

The American Family Association is the parent organization of the American Family News Network, which operates OneNewsNow.com.

https://www.onenewsnow.com/culture/2017/08/21/welcoming-policy-gains-another-victim