[News] [UK] 'I was scared to go home': Transgender woman lived in fear after vile online abuse

Stephanie Stevens

Apr 29, 2017, 7:51:07 AM4/29/17
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com, eurotra...@yahoogroups.com, EuroTrans...@transgendernews.groups.io
The Chronicle, UK

'I was scared to go home': Transgender woman lived in fear after vile online abuse

Abigail Allen, 44, from Morpeth, has spoken of her agony after being ridiculed by trolls on Facebook over her transformation

By Michael Muncaster

11:00, 29 APR 2017

[Video]

A transgender woman says she was left living in fear after being subjected to weeks of malicious online abuse.

Abigail Allen, who grew up in Morpeth, Northumberland, spoke out in favour of plans for an out-of-town development in the town.

But she was bombarded with vile abuse by those opposing the plans on Facebook, who made cruel jokes about her transformation.

“One put up a picture of a transit van while others made comments about my genitalia – it was really offensive,” Ms Allen said.

“Then somebody was saying they were watching me. It made me afraid of what could happen and I was scared to go home.”

Ms Allen, 44, said the attacks got more personal and she feared her seven-year-old daughter could be put at risk.

[Photo: Abigail Allen who is speaking out against transgender abuse]

She said: “The abuse went on and on. People kept posting in the thread and liking the comments - it didn’t stop.

“I lived in an upstairs flat at the time and I was worried that if they came to the door then that was my only way out.

“I did not know what lengths these people would go to and was worried my daughter would get bullied at school. My confidence was gone and I just wanted to shut myself away.”

Fearing for her and her daughter’s safety, Ms Allen turned to close pals for support.

Tara Stone is managing director of Be: Trans Support & Development North, which offers support to transgender and non-binary people.

She said: “The abuse was shocking and shows that there is a lack of knowledge by these people.

“One third of adults who go through transformations do attempt suicide at least once because of discrimination.

“We encourage people to be who they are and to live their lives. Society is changing and there’s lot of information out there for people.”

Ms Allen, who has been living as a woman for six years, is now trying to put the abuse behind her.

She added: “You go through a lot of stress and emotions during the change and making reference to that is out of order.”

“It is ignorance from people who do not understand it and I hope other people won’t keep quiet if it happens to them.”

To find out more about Be: Trans Support & Development North, visit www.be-north.org.uk.

To report a hate crime call Northumbria Police on 101.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/i-scared-go-home-transgender-12952948