[News] [VA, USA] Federal court rules trans Va. student can use boys bathroom

1 view

Stephanie Stevens

Jun 24, 2016, 9:44:50 AM6/24/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
Washington Blade, DC, USA

June 23, 2016 at 6:41 pm EDT | by Michael K. Lavers

Federal court rules trans Va. student can use boys bathroom

A federal court on Thursday ruled that a Virginia school district must allow a transgender student to use the boys bathroom.

The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia issued its ruling in favor of Gavin Grimm, a student at Gloucester County High School, more than nine months after U.S. District Judge Robert G. Doumar rejected his request for a preliminary injunction that would have allowed him to use the boys restroom.

Grimm alleges in a federal lawsuit he filed against the Gloucester County School Board that its policy barring him from using the boys restroom or locker room because they are not consistent with his “biological gender” is unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause and violates Title IX of the U.S. Education Amendments of 1972.

Doumar last summer ruled the policy does not violate Title IX.

A three-judge panel with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in April ruled in favor of Grimm.

The Gloucester County School Board asked the full federal appeals court to reconsider its decision. The 4th Circuit earlier this month announced it had denied the request.

“I am elated to hear that I’ll be able to attend my senior year of high school with my full rights restored,” said Grimm in a press release the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of Virginia released on Thursday. “After nearly two years of humiliation and intense struggle, equality has finally prevailed. Now hopefully other transgender people will not have to face this type of discrimination.”

“Under the 4th Circuit’s decision, it was already clear that Gavin would ultimately prevail in court,” added ACLU Senior Staff Attorney Josh Block. “This preliminary injunction makes sure that Gavin’s legal victory has a real impact on his life while he is still at school.”

The Gloucester County School Board announced earlier this month that it plans to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to consider the Grimm case.

© Copyright Brown, Naff, Pitts Omnimedia, Inc. 2016. All rights reserved.

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/06/23/federal-court-rules-trans-va-student-can-use-boys-bathroom/