[News] [VA, USA] Virginia transgender woman fights for name change

Stephanie Stevens

Aug 27, 2016, 8:57:56 AM8/27/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
WDBJ, VA, USA

Virginia transgender woman fights for name change

By Khiree Stewart | Posted: Fri 7:00 PM, Aug 26, 2016

BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. -- We're following up with a transgender woman in Virginia who is trying to have her named changed to match her identity.

A local commonwealth's attorney's office is getting emails in her support.

Kendra Brill lives in Shenandoah County and was born a man but identifies as a woman. She's trying to change her legal name from William to Kendra.

A judge denied the request saying it could cause confusion in the database and that she would have to get a sex change operation.

Brill recently submitted another request in Shenandoah County Circuit Court.

Years ago, Brill was placed on probation in Botetourt County. The commonwealth's attorney there said several people have expressed support for the name change.

"In all honestly, state police keep up with name changes for a number of reasons," said Joel Branscom, who is the Botetourt County commonwealth's attorney. "People legally change their name, people who marry, things like that and we have cross references. As long as the social security number remains the same, I don't see a huge problem for us to proceed."

Brill said she's waiting to hear the judge's response.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Transgender-follow-up-391446961.html