[News] [WV, USA] Bathroom bill controversy continues

Stephanie Stevens

Jul 25, 2016, 8:17:19 AM7/25/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
WDTV, WV, USA

Bathroom bill controversy continues

Written by CJ Harvey

Last updated on July 24, 2016 @ 6:53PM
Created on July 24, 2016 @ 5:55PM

[Video]

The latest controversy surrounding the transgender "bathroom bill" came last week when the NBA announced they were pulling the league's 2017 All-Star game from Charlotte.

The bill in North Carolina requires people to use the bathroom that is associated with their birth certificate, which has prompted many other businesses and events to pull from the state.

Yet, a few West Virginia delegates have opened the discussion of a similar bill here in our state.

Senator Patrick Karnes (R-Upshur) wrote a letter to Governor Tomblin reprimanding a mandate set in May that allows students to use bathrooms and locker rooms based on their gender identity.

Karnes is now asking for a special session on the issue.

"At the least you should be expected to use the bathroom that corresponds with your birth certificate," Karnes said on how he'd word a potential bathroom bill in our state. "Or find another facility."

Karnes says their are plenty of problems with allowing gender identity dictate a person's restroom decision, but also states out that transgender people have a diagnosable mental disorder that disables their ability to pick a specific bathroom.

"And there is some danger there when you're talking about 43 year old men who say they're women, Karnes continued.  "But I think the most likely victim is the 16 or 17 year-old girl who is confused and ends up in the shower wtith a bunch of other boys."

Delegate Patsy Trecost (D-Harrison) agrees that their is a fine line between choosing bathrooms.

"I like to believe we're a predominately Christian state here in West Virginia with the freedom to believe however you want," Trecost started. "Buy boys should go in boy's roo,s and girls should go in girl's rooms. It's just that simple."

One local residents offered her solution to the growing issue

"I think they should have a design family restroom, not a room just for them but something they can go in and feel more comfortable about," Elizabeth Cunningham a Bridgeport resident, said.  "A family bathroom would just help solve the issue."

Another Bridgeport resident says she doesn't understand why it's a hot topic right now because it's already been going on for a long time.

"I think it's just something new for us to gossip about," Daniele Hoffmaster said. "It's been happening for a long time, we just haven't noticed."

http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=view&section=5-News&item=Bathroom-bill-controversy-continues-32087