[News] [VA, USA] Court orders Gloucester to let transgender student use boys' restrooms

Stephanie Stevens

Jun 24, 2016, 9:46:09 AM6/24/16
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, Transge...@transgendernews.groups.io, transge...@yahoogroups.com
Daily Press, VA, USA

Court orders Gloucester to let transgender student use boys' restrooms

Daily Press

June 23, 2016, 4:45 PM | Gloucester

The federal district court for eastern Virginia has ordered Gloucester County to begin allowing transgender student Gavin Grimm to use boys' restrooms.

Grimm was born a female but identifies as a male.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert G. Doumar ruled Thursday that the Gloucester County School Board must allow Grimm to use the bathroom that matches his gender identity while the case is being litigated.

The order comes after the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in April that the school board discriminated against Grimm by forbidding him from using the boys' restroom. The school board is planning to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the appeals court decision.

“I am elated to hear that I'll be able to attend my senior year of high school with my full rights restored,” Grimm said in a statement released by the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia.

-----
Related

Appeals court refuses to put Gloucester transgender case on hold
-----

“After nearly two years of humiliation and intense struggle, equality has finally prevailed. Now hopefully other transgender people will not have to face this type of discrimination.”

The ACLU of Virginia brought the lawsuit on Grimm's behalf, arguing that the school board’s policy, which segregates transgender students from their peers by requiring them to use “alternative, private” restroom facilities, violates the U.S. Constitution and Title IX, a federal law prohibiting sex discrimination by schools.

Doumar initially denied Grimm’s request for a preliminary injunction and dismissed his Title IX claim.

-----
Related

Gloucester School Board to seek Supreme Court review in transgender lawsuit
-----

In April 19, the U.S. Court Appeals for the Fourth Circuit reinstated the Title IX claim, saying that Doumar had misapplied the law. The appeals court sent the case back to Doumar with instructions that he reconsider his decision.

"Under the Fourth Circuit’s decision, it was already clear that Gavin would ultimately prevail in court,” said ACLU senior staff attorney Josh Block. “This preliminary injunction makes sure that Gavin’s legal victory has a real impact on his life while he is still at school.”

Doumar noted that his ruling applies only to restrooms and not to locker rooms.

This story will be updated. The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2016, Daily Press

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-gloucester-transgender-ruling-story.html