[News] [GA, USA] Walton transgender student re-elected to homecoming court

Stephanie Stevens

Oct 10, 2015, 9:20:31 AM10/10/15
to transgen...@googlegroups.com, transge...@yahoogroups.com, GF...@yahoogroups.com
Marietta Daily Journal, GA, USA

Walton transgender student re-elected to homecoming court

by Jon Gargis and Emily Boorstein

October 10, 2015 12:57 AM

[Photo: Eris Lovell]

EAST COBB — A transgender student believed to have been the first Georgia student to be named to her high school’s homecoming court last year has been selected by her peers as a finalist for the school’s homecoming queen honor.

Eris Lovell is one of five seniors on this year’s homecoming court at Walton High School. As a senior on the court, she and four of her peers — Hunter Corvin, Quinn Marshall, Tamrin Port and Carly White — are eligible to be elected as homecoming queen.

The five were selected by the senior class out of a pool of 25 homeroom nominees, said Judy McNeill, Walton High principal, and seniors next week will vote on which finalist will become the school’s homecoming queen. The winner will be crowned at halftime at Walton’s Oct. 16 football game.

Lovell told the MDJ she is looking forward to homecoming.

“I am very excited to work with the other homecoming girls, very excited this is all happening again,” she said. “It’s a lot less nerve-racking this year.”

Lovell said she feels she has “just as good a chance as any other girl up there.

“I just know that whatever happens, happens, and if any of the other girls win I will be just as happy for them as I would be for myself.”

Last year, Lovell — who then went by Sage before legally changing her name to Eris Amber Sage Lovell — was named along with three other juniors to the homecoming court. Lovell’s honor was believed to be the first bestowed to a transgender student in Georgia.

Jeff Graham, executive director of Georgia Equality, an organization that works to advance fairness, safety and opportunity for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, said he was unaware of any other transgender students elected to their respective homecoming courts. In an interview last year, he said other transgender students had been elected in Texas and North Carolina in 2014 and in three other states in 2013.

Lovell, last year, told the MDJ that it was at the end of sophomore year when she realized “(I) was not male in any way… I am female, and that’s when … I started my transition.”

Walton’s homecoming royalty will be crowned Friday when the Raiders host the Woodstock Wolverines. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.

© 2015 Marietta Daily Journal

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/26902223/article-Walton-transgender-student-re-elected-to-homecoming-court