Comment on Residential Infill Project before tomorrow at midnight!

Steve B

Nov 22, 2016, 6:09:04 PM11/22/16
to AROW

Passing this on to the AROWs, thanks to Portland for Everyone.

---

FRIENDS: We have until MIDNIGHT on WEDNESDAY the 23rd to send Portland City Council one clear, unified message about housing options in our residential neighborhoods. Use, adapt, or edit the note below, and send to cctes...@portlandoregon.gov now:

Dear Mr. Mayor and Commissioners,

Thank you for your time and your work to being more abundant & affordable housing options to more Portlanders.

I would like to quickly remind Council of how important this suite of proposals can be to increasing more families' ability to find housing that meets their needs, and to encourage you to direct staff to further the proposal in key ways.

I support the Residential Infill Project:
• The RIP Concept Report is headed in the right direction, introducing much-needed flexibility and housing options into our residential neighborhoods.
• The RIP will help provide more home-ownership opportunities for middle-income and lower-income Portlanders.
• The RIP better meets the rental and home ownership needs of more Portlanders - our household sizes are getting smaller, and more families are looking for inter-generational living.
• The RIP reduces energy use, and supports transit, walking & biking, and Portland's climate goals.

The proposal can go further in key ways:
• By following the steps outlined in the Internal Conversions Report, the proposal can be strengthened by making conversions the easier and more economical choice over a tear-down.
• Though currently neutral on both, the proposal can be strengthened to provide much more flexibility and incentives for tree preservation and accessibility.
• The RIP can benefit even more families in two ways: 1) Extend the "middle," ADU, and other housing opportunities of the Housing Opportunity Overlay Zone to all of Portland. 2) Direct staff to provide meaningful incentives & flexibility to non-profits and others if they provide permanently-affordable units.

Thank you again for your time and consideration at this critical moment,

NAME