Reminder: Division Street Guidelines Proposals Due January 7th

lianagan

Jan 3, 2015, 12:43:17 AM1/3/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
This is a good opportunity to request design changes that will steer motorized traffic to Division St. and away from Clinton St.

http://divisiondesigninitiative.org/designguidelines/

Purpose & Goals for Design Guidelines

"• Give the community a better voice in design and future development so that they can help to shape this change to reflect the community’s values as the Division corridor evolves
• Create design guidelines that can be used not only for the Division corridor but also as model example for other neighborhoods in the city and other communities that are facing similar issues"

Doug X

Jan 3, 2015, 2:15:54 AM1/3/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
I'm involved in the Division Design Initiative.  I'm not sure that keeping motorized traffic on Division can be influenced by this. It's basically a project to write guidelines about the shape and details of buildings on the Division corridor, and requiring awnings or cornices, or stepdowns at the rear, etc.

There are quite a few involved who want to limit the size of buildings on Division to less than is now allowed. I suppose if they're successful, that could have an effect, but I'm not sure what the effect would be. Limiting the residents to fewer, more expensive apartments because it's hard to build more, cheaper apartments will result in residents with higher incomes.  And folks with higher incomes are more likely to drive. (I believe this is supported statistically)  Also I think those with a guaranteed indoor parking space, which some would like to see at all buildings,  are more likely to drive than those who have to hunt for an on-street space.  We see this behavior in NW Portland.  People don't want to drive because they'd have to give up that great parking space they found weeks ago.

But, check out the Division Design Initiative   http://divisiondesigninitiative.org/
and come to a meeting to see what's happening.

Doug Klotz