Fwd: RE: 7th/9th testimony to PSC

Allan Rudwick

Mar 24, 2016, 4:39:42 PM3/24/16
to bikel...@googlegroups.com, trans...@googlegroups.com

Fyi, not enough testimony sporting 7th, lots supporting 9th being submitted. Help!

Mar 24, 2016, 8:30:57 PM3/24/16
to AROW
Thanks Allan.

I'm confused by this. According to BikePortland's report, everyone at the meeting was in favor of 7th.  A bunch of us wrote in to support 7th. I guess we should have sent them to t...@portlandoregon.gov instead of Zef?

craig harlow

Mar 24, 2016, 9:30:02 PM3/24/16
to trans...@googlegroups.com
All day on Nextdoor.com they've been rallying support behind 9th over 7th as the preferred road for a new bikeway.

Chris Smith

Mar 24, 2016, 10:17:09 PM3/24/16
to trans...@googlegroups.com
You can submit tsp testimony through 5pm on friday

Steve B

Mar 24, 2016, 10:19:22 PM3/24/16
to AROW
Thanks all. Testimony (re)submitted!

Betsy

Mar 25, 2016, 2:05:35 PM3/25/16
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Allan, Soren, Steve, Emily, Chris, Craig, and Angel,

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I would like to help out with this testimony but am not so familiar with the issues.  Can someone tell me why they are getting so much testimony for 9th over 7th?  Also, it looked like in Zef's email here he said to send testimony not just to tsp but also to p...@portlandoregon.gov.  Should all emails be sent to both?

Thanks!
Betsy

Betsy

Mar 25, 2016, 2:05:51 PM3/25/16
to trans...@googlegroups.com
part 2

Also, - would this be a greenway designation?  All of the traffic calming needed on 7th would benefit pedestrians too and I think it is valuable to include pedestrians right along with bicyclists who are both advocating and benefitting.  It dramatically broadens our base.  (Although pedestrians are starting to get cast as being in a war with cars just like bikes - I've been hearing more and more lately 'I'm sick of the entitled bicyclists and surly pedestrians', and 'the pedestrians keep crossing the street on Division and holding up traffic'.)

Chris Smith

Mar 25, 2016, 2:08:38 PM3/25/16
to Active Right of Way (AROW)
tsp@ is probably preferred. Doing both will just force staff to sort out the duplicates...

craig harlow

Mar 25, 2016, 2:10:34 PM3/25/16
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Betsy, below is the thread from Irvington neighbors on nextdoor.com:

Support for 9th Ave Bikeway/Greenway 1d ago

Gabe Adoff from Irvington

The city is currently on a path to designate NE 7th Ave as a Bikeway/Greenway and install traffic diverters at several points along the street with the intent of diverting N/S traffic onto MLK. Although 7th Ave clearly needs safety improvements and traffic calming, many neighbors including myself, feel that traffic diverters will likely push the traffic onto other neighborhood streets, which are even narrower and less able to handle the increased traffic (5,500 cars a day travel on 7th, according to PBOT estimates from two years ago). Increased cut-through traffic could pose a serious safety concern for kids who attend Irvington school as well as the many families and residents in the neighborhood.
If you share this concern, please let the city know by this Friday, March 25th and request that they prioritize a Greenway on NE 9th Ave, which is more representative of other bikeways in the city – low traffic, residential – and would not risk diverting thousands of cars a day onto single-lane neighborhood streets. The Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission is taking comments through this Friday.
Please email: p...@portlandoregon.gov with subject line “TSP Testimony” (include full name and mailing address) and make sure to reference the NE Greenway on 9th.

I’ve attached a diagram presented by PBOT, which shows the two options.

Also, there will be two public hearings on this issue in April:
- Thursday, April 14th, 6:00 to 9:00 pm, City Council Chambers, City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Ave
- Wednesday, April 20th, 2:00 to 5:00 pm, City Council Chambers, City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Ave

Shared with Irvington in General
Ann Schneider from Irvington 1d ago

Can you explain why the 9th ave plan is twice as expensive. I certainly agree with you but need to understand why the additional expense.

Jay Hoover from Irvington 1d ago

So while the city is planning increased density, they systematically remove north to south through routes. Williams reduced to 1 lane and now considering removing the one through street between MLK View more

Estee, Rebecca, and Ron thanked Jay
Susan Sater from Irvington 1d ago

Thanks for sharing, Gabe—I agree and message already sent in agreement with your point!

Steven Cornils from Irvington 1d ago

The cost estimates were very ballpark and as the points of each proposal were discussed they became muddied and less accurate. The two main cost items that they said would contribute to the NE 9th View more

Sean thanked Steven
Craig Harlow from Irvington 1d ago

I support the proposed controls on 7th Ave., and think that 9th as an alternative would miss the point.

People drive 7th as a speedy and mostly stop-free alternative to MLK. I predict that, once 7th
View more

Margaret thanked you
Steven Cornils from Irvington 1d ago

Thank you for bringing up NE 15th. Congestion along NE 15th would be impacted by a NE 7th diverter plan, which would be horrible. You are 100% correct that this would lead to an increase in cut-through traffic, especially around Irvington Elementary, caused by diverters on NE 7th. Traffic should be calmed on NE 7th but not diverted.

Jay thanked Steven
Craig Harlow from Irvington 1d ago

Steve, I didn't predict that adding controls on 7th would lead to an increase in cut-through traffic. I said the opposite.

I don't imagine many autos diverting from 7th all the way over to 15th, since MLK is close by, has double the lane capacity, a higher posted speed limit, and a center turn lane, making it faster and preferable to 15th.

Margaret thanked you
Susan Sater from Irvington 1d ago

If only Craig were right about a 7th Avenue greenway shifting traffic back to MLK. I think it will just shift more onto (already too busy) 8th and 9th Avenues. Maybe the solution is to make multiple View more

Estee and Meryl thanked Susan
Craig Harlow from Irvington 1d ago

Susan, I hope I'm right :^) If I'm driving a car, and have to choose between speedy MLK and block-after-block stop signs on 8th & 9th, I'm choosing MLK.

Margaret thanked you
Gabe Adoff from Irvington 1d ago

Those of us who live near the construction at Russell and 7th experience dangerous increases in cut-through traffic whenever 7th is blocked. We see how many drivers are determined to avoid MLK at peak View more

Estee thanked Gabe
Estee Segal from Irvington 22h ago

As a daily bike rider, and neighborhood resident, it makes much more sense to me to create the bikeway/greenway on NE 9th, a residential street, much like the other nearby bikeways on Going and View more

Sean Green from Irvington 22h ago

The evening rush is most problematic. At that time I-5 is bumper to bumper, MLK is bumper to bumper and moves very slowly - As a result, people use 7th as a N-S alternative to VERY slow MLK. There is View more

Sean Green from Irvington 22h ago

As Gabe mentioned, we have already seen what diversion on 7th looks like: it is not pretty.

Sean Green from Irvington 22h ago

Regarding the costs, as I understand it 7th would cost twice as much as 9th, and even that estimate probably does not include the (absolutely necessary for a greenway) removal of the extremely dangerous median rounds on 7th.

Ron Pernick from Irvington 19h ago

I just sent my TSP Testimony to the address provided by Gabe above. I recommend that folks on 8th, 9th, through 15th who are concerned about what diverters would do to traffic in Irvington make their View more

Kim Hart-Baldridge from Irvington 16h ago

I just submitted a TSP Testimony in support of a NE Greenway on 9th Avenue. Thank you--

Meryl Logue from Irvington 13h ago

I added my TSP Testimony voice. I support 9th and I think one reason 7th gets so much support is it shows us a nice clean, straight line across town. As a "pedal-only" commuter, I am perfectly fine (and prefer) being on a quieter street like 9th to pedal. I would prefer 9th over 7th as a bikeway.

Ted

Mar 25, 2016, 3:30:35 PM3/25/16
to transconpdx
Allan -- thanks for bringing this up, and the clear instructions on how to mail in comments to the TSP.  I mailed mine in this morning.

Ted Buehler
Board member, Boise Neighborhood Association

Betsy

Mar 25, 2016, 6:19:19 PM3/25/16
to bikel...@googlegroups.com, trans...@googlegroups.com
done

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Allan Rudwick <arud...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
This group is open to anyone who wants to join. The BikeLoudPDX Google Group is a polite and professional (LOUD) forum for discussion. Please communicate in a collaborative and respectful manner at all times.

* When posting an event, please put "EVENT" as the first word in your subject line.
* When posting a fast-track proposal, please put "PROPOSAL" as the first word.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BikeLoudPDX" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bikeloudpdx.