Fwd: NW Broadway @ NW Couch

Jeffrey Moore

Jan 26, 2015, 12:59:44 PM1/26/15
to transconpdx
Good morning AROWs,

So I contacted PBOT last week and this is the response I received from Dan Layden. Apparently Ross Swanson has changed jobs. I am not sure why this has changed priorities from end of 2014 to a more nebulous time in the future. Any thoughts out there on how I could work with PBOT to make this more of a priority? I can hardly stand to see one more car blow this stop sign.

Jeff

Feb 13, 2015, 6:29:25 PM2/13/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for following up on this! No one probably knows that I am in this group as I read the emails but don't talk ever. My main office is off of Hoyt & Broadway and so when I am coming back to the east side I go down Broadway and make that left back onto Burnside and encounter that awkward stop sign on Couch which seems to elude most people. On such a busy throughfare, I don't know why it's not a higher priority either.

I didn't know if anyone realized that the construction that they just did on that old gov building on like Broadway and umm Glisan(?) is where PNCA is going to be. Maybe having the artsy people there will give more clout to having traffic signals there. It was kind of nuts when they were remodeling. I hate to use that card, but since "the powers that be" have zero humanitarian bones in their body for people that regularly use that corridor, maybe they can smell money.

- Halley

​------------------------------------------------------------

BIKELEPTIC.COM
Slightly Off Kilter and On Two Wheels

Jeffrey Moore

Feb 13, 2015, 7:59:47 PM2/13/15
to transconpdx
Halley,

Thanks for speaking up and sharing your thoughts on this matter. I suspect many people who utilize this intersection on a regular basis have experienced just how terrible it is. From what I can gather, PBOT was going to have it installed in late Dec 2014 but it got rolled over into another project with hopes of saving money. I can only wonder how much money is worth saving when in light of safety? I know of at least one cyclist whose arm was broken at this intersection. I suspect there have been multiple accidents here. Does anyone know how to information about the number of accidents that occur at a specific intersection? I would like to compile something tangible to bring back to PBOT.

I have sent a request to Dan Layden/823-SAFE to have an increased police presence at this intersection in hopes of curbing poor driver behavior. I feel this would only be a small bandaid on the problem.

I would hope that students at PNCA and students traveling from NE down the Broadway corridor would speak up. Perhaps a little donut/coffee social at this intersection would be helpful to hear about others experiences who access it?

The money is allocated for the project. Let's get the signal in here. If the New Seasons by my apartment in Sullivan's Gulch can get one installed in what seemed like relatively fast time frame, I see no reason why this can't be sped up.

Jeff

Reza Michael Farhoodi

Feb 13, 2015, 9:25:44 PM2/13/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

The project is set in stone and has been for awhile. PBOT and PDC have already signed the intergovernmental agreement to transfer the necessary capital funds. Please keep in mind that all 5 of the signals planned as part of this project have been identified as major community needs, so there is no need to try separating this one specific intersection, as it will not get built any quicker than the others. I also recently spoke with Mauricio Leclerc at PBOT and he told me that a contractor is due to be selected in the next few months so it looks like this project will finally get completed before the end of this year. Here's hoping.

Thanks,
Reza

--
Reza Michael Farhoodi

Scott Kocher

Feb 18, 2015, 6:34:12 PM2/18/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
How about an email to PBOT re-emphasizing the urgency of the issue, and including a link to a short YouTube video? I have found that a video showing the problem can prompt a stronger response than an email by itself.

Scott