Tonight! - Last Chance to Support Projects, including Better Naito, in the Central City 2035 Plan

1 view

Ben Chaney

Aug 10, 2016, 7:23:18 PM8/10/16
to Active Right of Way (AROW)

Hello AROW!

As I'm sure most of you are well aware, tonight (until August 9th at 11pm) is the last opportunity to submit testimony supporting many transportation projects including a $2,000,000 capital project to make Better Naito permanent. Better Naito is one of many transportation projects being proposed for the Central City 2035 Plan.  You can comment on projects, including Better Naito, using the City's "Map App."

This is official testimony to the Planning Commission, so you'll need to include your name and address to have the comments entered into the record.

If you like a project as described, something as simple as "Great Idea!" is all you need to say.  But of course, this is also an opportunity to go deep into positive or constructive feedback.

Here's what I submitted:

I support the Better Naito Walkway / Bikeway, and thank the City for supporting this project.
I am a volunteer with Better Block PDX, the organization that has brought together community members, festivals, and advocates to create a vision of a “Better Naito.” During this year’s festival season, we used temporary traffic control to create a new space for people to safely access the hugely popular waterfront park.
This demonstration project was an amazing opportunity to see - in the real world - how much public demand there is for a walkway and two-way bikeway. And through empirical data collected during this bold experiment, the City will be able to minimize the moderate delay shown for motor vehicles.
I am confident that a well-designed capital project would be transformative for the area.

I hope you consider supporting Better Naito with a nice comment.

With huge thanks to all our volunteers,

- Ben Chaney

Better Block PDX Volunteer

P.S. Have you seen the new Ankeny Plaza? I love it.  And the City's Open Streets portal "Portland In The Streets" is very nice.

Steve B

Aug 10, 2016, 7:25:20 PM8/10/16
to AROW
Thanks for the heads up, Ben. Sorry about the delay on this one, it was stuck in the spam filter.

Chris Smith

Aug 10, 2016, 7:42:16 PM8/10/16
to Active Right of Way (AROW)
The written record on CC2035 is actually open until tomorrow (Thursday) at 5pm.