[Trac] Python error "unsupported locale setting"

jonny

Apr 22, 2010, 1:44:56 PM4/22/10
to Trac Users
Hi all

Old time user, new poster here. I am running Trac 0.11.7 on Python 2.5
on Ubuntu Linux (not sure which version), via mod_python. As of
yesterday trac was throwing server errors and so would cause a Apache
fatal error if tried in the server. Calls to the command line would
also fail - in both cases a Python stack trace would be output (for
the web front end, this would go in the Apache logs).

The problem was a call to setlocale in /usr/lib/python2.5/locale.py
and would be reported as "Error: unsupported locale setting". The
strange thing is the installation has been working fine for a couple
of weeks, and it has stopped working as of yesterday. For now I have
used the fix detailed here:

http://fatvegan.com/2007/03/14/localeerror-unsupported-locale-setting/

That is to say I have switched the locale to "None" in the base code
(line 478 in Python 2.5) and this has worked a treat. However I'd like
to fix it properly.

I see from the Trac FAQ that "localedef --list-archive" can be used to
see the currently installed locales, and it turns out I have none
installed at all. However in /usr/share/locale/* there are 64 folders,
each one looking like a locale code - so I think they are on my
system. How do I get locales properly installed, and will this allow
me to revert my hacky fix to the locale.py file?

Many thanks :-)

Jonny