What happens to existing tickets if I delete a ticket field entry as admin?

Tasos Papastylianou

Nov 14, 2019, 6:25:00 AM11/14/19
to Trac Users
Hello,

I have been given admin rights by our main project admin, and I would like to change some ticket fields because the ones already there are the generic ones, which don't really apply to our project.
But, we have tickets making use of those generic ones already.
My question is, if I delete the generic entries (e.g. say I remove "component 1" and add my own component field) what happens to existing tickets making use of those fields?
I wouldn't want to negatively affect existing tickets by removing currently used fields from that list.

Thanks,
T.

Ryan Ollos

Nov 14, 2019, 6:35:35 AM11/14/19
to Trac Users
I believe that for all fields the value is inserted as a form option for existing tickets that have the value, and the ticket field value will be left unchanged.

I can double-check that for you if you let me know the Trac version you are using.

- Ryan

Tasos Papastylianou

Nov 14, 2019, 7:06:07 AM11/14/19
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ryan!
The Trac version is 1.2.2

T.

RjOllos

Nov 17, 2019, 3:50:28 PM11/17/19
to Trac Users

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 4:06:07 AM UTC-8, Tasos Papastylianou wrote:
Thank you Ryan!
The Trac version is 1.2.2

T.

For the component field, the ticket will continue to have the deleted entry and it will be inserted as an option in the select list. For example, I deleted "component2". Here is a ticket that has component = component2:

If you rename an option for a field (e.g. change component2 -> component2_new), all tickets with the field set to that option (component2) will have the field changed to the new option name (i.e. component2_new), but there won't be an entry in the ticket change log.

My understanding is that all fields will behave in that manner, except Milestone.

For Milestones, deleting the Milestone will change tickets that have that milestone set:

And renames are also shown in the ticket change history:

I recall implementing that behavior for the Milestone field, but we haven't implemented the behavior for other fields:

- Ryan

Tasos Papastylianou

Nov 17, 2019, 7:01:02 PM11/17/19
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Lack of notification for deletion, addition and renaming of components is fine (in fact, this makes sense to me). But more importantly I now feel more confident that deleting a component as admin, won't adversely affect existing tickets!

Thank you for your comprehensive  research and reply!

Best
Tasos

RjOllos

Dec 4, 2019, 4:09:41 PM12/4/19
to Trac Users
Also relevant for how behavior might change in the future, is the proposal to archive (hide) Versions and Components:

- Ryan