Feature-Request: Link milestone and version

Riedel, Torge

Jun 11, 2014, 4:12:35 AM6/11/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

in our company we use milestones to plan our versions. After all tickets of a version are fixed, the milestone is closed and the version is released by creating a new version in the trac-admin-panel.

1.

What we like to have is an option when closing a milestone, that you can select a check-box "Create version". This creates a  version with the same name like the milestone (maybe it's modifyable) and the closing date/time of the milestone will be the date/time of the version.

2.

An extension to point 1 would be that a version create such that way is linked to the milestone and in separate page you can see all versions, the linked milestone and by clicking - let's say - on the version it's (the milestone's) tickets.

3.

Another extension to points 1 and 2 would be that you can link more than one milestone to one version.

Hope that this not only a thing for our workflow.

Best regards

Torge

Sorry, for the disclaimer, it is added automatically.

CENIT AG, Industriestrasse 52-54, 70565 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711 7825-30, Fax: +49 711 7825-4000, Internet: www.cenit.de
Geschaeftsstellen: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover, Muenchen, Oelsnitz, Ratingen, Saarbruecken
Vorstandsmitglieder: Kurt Bengel, Matthias Schmidt
Aufsichtsratsmitglieder: Andreas Schmidt (Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats), Hubert Leypoldt, Andreas Karrer
Bankverbindungen:
Deutsche Bank (BLZ 600 700 70) Kto. 1661 040 IBAN : DE85 6007 0070 0166 1040 00 SWIFT-CODE : DEUTDESS,
Commerzbank (BLZ 600 400 71) Kto. 532 015 500 IBAN : DE83 6004 0071 0532 0155 00 SWIFT-Code : COBADEFF600,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Handelsregister: HRB Nr. 19117
Umsatzsteuer: ID-Nr. DE 147 862 777

Cooke, Mark

Jun 11, 2014, 4:29:17 AM6/11/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Hello!

> in our company we use milestones to plan our versions. After all tickets of a
> version are fixed, the milestone is closed and the version is released by
> creating a new version in the trac-admin-panel.
>
> 1.
>
> What we like to have is an option when closing a milestone, that you can
> select a check-box "Create version". This creates a version with the same
> name like the milestone (maybe it's modifyable) and the closing date/time of
> the milestone will be the date/time of the version.

That makes a lot of sense and would be useful for us, too. It would best be both optional and modifiable.

> 2.
>
> An extension to point 1 would be that a version create such that way is
> linked to the milestone and in separate page you can see all versions, the
> linked milestone and by clicking - let's say - on the version it's (the
> milestone's) tickets.

I wonder if this could be implemented as part of the current "Roadmap" view?

> 3.
>
> Another extension to points 1 and 2 would be that you can link more than one
> milestone to one version.

...so several (agile?) milestones feed into one release version. Then the linked release version would be able to list all included tickets.

I wonder if we could somehow implement "iterative" milestones so several "agile" sprints could lead up to one milestone. At the moment I am using e.g. 4v2-1 for the first sprint, followed by 4v2-2, 4v2-3 .. 4v2-n for release. This is making the milestone admin panel very busy!

> Hope that this not only a thing for our workflow.

Sounds interesting to me, anyone else?

~ Mark C

> Best regards
>
> Torge

Ryan Ollos

Jun 11, 2014, 4:35:05 AM6/11/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Riedel, Torge <T.Ri...@cenit.de> wrote:

Hi,

in our company we use milestones to plan our versions. After all tickets of a version are fixed, the milestone is closed and the version is released by creating a new version in the trac-admin-panel.

1.

What we like to have is an option when closing a milestone, that you can select a check-box "Create version". This creates a  version with the same name like the milestone (maybe it's modifyable) and the closing date/time of the milestone will be the date/time of the version.

You could do this fairly easily in a plugin using the IMilestoneChangeListener extension point to create the milestone, and either an ITemplateStreamFilter or JavaScript (with the script added through IRequestFilter) to add the checkbox.

You can open a ticket for the issue, but there's no assurance it will be implemented anytime soon: http://trac.edgewall.org/newticket. Providing a patch always helps get things implemented faster!

2.

An extension to point 1 would be that a version create such that way is linked to the milestone and in separate page you can see all versions, the linked milestone and by clicking - let's say - on the version it's (the milestone's) tickets.

ExtendedVersionPlugin associates versions and milestones:
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ExtendedVersionPlugin

In the next development release of Trac, Components and Versions should be more like "first class objects", so their visibility will be better:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/1233

3.

Another extension to points 1 and 2 would be that you can link more than one milestone to one version.

ExtendedVersionPlugin probably supports this. I haven't worked on it in a while so I don't recall the specifics. You can always open a feature request against that plugin if it needs a minor enhancement to meet your requirements.

[...]

Ryan Ollos

Jun 11, 2014, 5:29:07 PM6/11/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Cooke, Mark <mark....@siemens.com> wrote:
> [...]

Hello!

> in our company we use milestones to plan our versions. After all tickets of a
> version are fixed, the milestone is closed and the version is released by
> creating a new version in the trac-admin-panel.
>
> 1.
>
> What we like to have is an option when closing a milestone, that you can
> select a check-box "Create version". This creates a  version with the same
> name like the milestone (maybe it's modifyable) and the closing date/time of
> the milestone will be the date/time of the version.

That makes a lot of sense and would be useful for us, too.  It would best be both optional and modifiable.

I created a ticket to summarize the ideas discussed here:
> 2.
>
> An extension to point 1 would be that a version create such that way is
> linked to the milestone and in separate page you can see all versions, the
> linked milestone and by clicking - let's say - on the version it's (the
> milestone's) tickets.

I wonder if this could be implemented as part of the current "Roadmap" view?

That might be worth considering after #1233 is implemented.

Another useful feature will be to display Versions on the timeline: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11409. That is really just a subset of the work in #1233 though.

> 3.
>
> Another extension to points 1 and 2 would be that you can link more than one
> milestone to one version.

...so several (agile?) milestones feed into one release version.  Then the linked release version would be able to list all included tickets.

I wonder if we could somehow implement "iterative" milestones so several "agile" sprints could lead up to one milestone.  At the moment I am using e.g. 4v2-1 for the first sprint, followed by 4v2-2, 4v2-3 .. 4v2-n for release.  This is making the milestone admin panel very busy!

In a more general sense, we just need milestone relations. Some of that is captured in this ticket:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2344

> Hope that this not only a thing for our workflow.

Sounds interesting to me, anyone else?

~ Mark C

> Best regards
>
> Torge

Peter Suter

Jul 18, 2014, 1:15:30 PM7/18/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On 11.06.2014 10:12, Riedel, Torge wrote:
> in our company we use milestones to plan our versions. After all tickets
> of a version are fixed, the milestone is closed and the version is
> released by creating a new version in the trac-admin-panel.
>
> 1.
>
> What we like to have is an option when closing a milestone, that you can
> select a check-box "Create version". This creates a version with the
> same name like the milestone (maybe it's modifyable) and the closing
> date/time of the milestone will be the date/time of the version.

There's a tiny plugin at:
http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/sample-plugins/milestone_to_version.py

It automatically creates a version when closing a milestone, if that
milestone's name contains a number (and matches a configurable pattern).
It also sets the versions date/time to the closing date/time of the
milestone.

There's no checkbox so it's not _exactly_ what you want, but it comes
fairly close it seems.

One extension that should be quite simple would be to automatically
append some wiki text (including links, queries etc.) to the
milestone/version description texts or to some wiki page.

Best regards,
Peter

RjOllos

Aug 30, 2016, 1:57:15 PM8/30/16
to Trac Users
I finally tested out that plugin and as far as I can tell it does exactly what Torge was requesting. I installed the plugin at trac.edgewall.org to eliminate one step in our release process. Torge, if you have any other specific needs for that plugin, feel free to open a ticket with a request for enhancement.

- Ryan