Tpad status problem

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 3, 2015, 5:34:36 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Our final app is just around the corner.. But we stumbled on a problem. T-Pad status just don't connect. It's a strange thing, the Tpad worked just fine till now, but don't matter what we do, the status keep on "Not Connected". Things we tried:
Restart the fone. Plug and unplug usb. Uninstall \ reinstall our app. Close and open Tpad connection app. All combinatios of the things listed.
Can someone help me?
Gabriel Figueiredo.

Craig Shultz

Jun 3, 2015, 6:32:17 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,

A few questions for you which might help:

Are the Service status and TPad Connected status both showing "Not Connected"?

Does the TPad Connect app show what frequency the tpad is set at even though it's not connected?

What happens when you plug the TPad phone into your computer or the wall? Will it charge? What happens when you unplug it? Will the TPad Connect app pop up?

One additional thing you could try is to completely uninstall the TPad Connect app from the device, and reinstall it from our github. I would also try and uninstall any applications or services you have installed on the phone just to make sure they aren't interfering with the connection at all.

Any other information about what cause the connection to stop working might also help! Do you have any reason to believe the phone may have been dropped or damaged?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and you can finish off your app!

Cheers,
Craig

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 3, 2015, 7:01:12 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the fast reply!
The TPad didn't fall or bump, not a single time. It has been under my supervision, so I'm sure of it. I don't have a clue about why it stopped working. It just did it. About the questions:
The service is Connected the Tpad connected is Not Conected.
It shows 20000Hz (I believe that's the default frequency) but we did changed it before TPad stopped working.
It does charge, both into the computer or the wall. TPad connect app doesn't pop up. All the debugging seems to be working, eclipse build the project and install the app correctly if the TPad is connected to the computer. Only, the TPad connected stays not connected.
If I do try to reinstall all, where can I download the installers?
Again, thak you very much for the fast reply!
Gabriel Figueiredo

Craig Shultz

Jun 3, 2015, 7:57:05 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
That's good that it is still connecting to your computer. That means at least the USB connector to the TPad board isn't broken or anything, but I'm not sure why it won't connect with the TPad.

Make sure you go into the android apps section of the setttings of the phone, and uninstall TPad Connect. Then you can download the TPad Connect .apk here https://github.com/TPadTabletProject/TPadSoftware/tree/master/TPadConnect/bin and install it on the phone. You can also just import the TPad Connect app into eclipse and build it and install it that way if you like.

The phone hasn't happened to update to a new version of Android has it?

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 3, 2015, 8:19:08 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Actually it does have some requests for updates. But we didn't do it. All the software remains the same as when you shipped it. The only change is our app.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 3, 2015, 8:34:40 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
I just uninstall TPad window, TPad connect and TPad load picture
Downloaded TPad connect and the installation went wrong, it says "Parse error. There was a problem parsing the package". Am I doing anything wrong?

Craig Shultz

Jun 3, 2015, 8:40:58 PM6/3/15
to Gabriel Figueiredo, tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com

It depends on what you are using to open the .apk. I usually email it to myself, or drop it on the phone and use ESFileExplorer to open, I believe. Or you can import the project into eclipse, build, and install the app just like the way you have been for your own app.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015, 7:34 PM Gabriel Figueiredo <gabrie...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just uninstall TPad window, TPad connect and TPad load picture
Downloaded TPad connect and the installation went wrong, it says "Parse error. There was a problem parsing the package". Am I doing anything wrong?

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 3, 2015, 9:41:56 PM6/3/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Well, I still haven't solved it but I'm calling the day. First thing tomorrow I'll try using eclipse to reinstall the apps. Thaks for all the support, seriously, you guys are the best! Good night!

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 1:28:13 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig! I reinstalled the apps through eclipse and the Connection Manager's Tpad Status still keeps on Not connected. Any other suggestions? Does it helps if I send you some kind of debug log?
Gabriel Figueiredo
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tpad-tablet-project+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 1:38:13 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
You could monitor the debugging log right when the tpad is trying to connect, and send me that. The TPad board initializes a connection every time the external usb connector is unplugged (due to charging, or it being plugged into your computer). If you plug the phone into your computer, then unplug it, it will attempt to reconnect with the microcontroller on the TPad board. After unplugging it, give it a second or two, and plug it back into your computer to retrieve the log file. Usually you can see this log file right in eclipse.

This is very puzzling to me why it seems to be not connecting, but you can still program through the board. Can you verify that the phone is on Android 4.4.4?

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 1:42:13 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
I have one additional thing you can try. Go into the system settings. Click on storage, then up in the right corner there are 3 dots, indicating a menu. Click these and click the USB computer connection that comes up. Toggle the Media device (MTP) box either off or on and see if this has an effect. Also make sure the Camera (PTP) is unchecked.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 2:45:17 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Just did it. Here goes the error log that eclipse is getting back.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 2:51:40 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
IT WORKED! I reinstalled everything, made sure that only MTP was checked and it worked! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 3:04:51 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
It worked, I changed the frequency a couple of times for testing, opened the load picture app and 5 minutes latter it stopped working again... We're getting close to the final solution. Any ideas?

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 3:05:32 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I tried adjusting those settings on some phones we have in the lab and they didn't seem to have much effect. Glad it worked for you!

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 3:14:34 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
It worked, I changed the frequency a couple of times for testing, opened the load picture app and 5 minutes latter it stopped working again... We're getting close to the final solution. Any ideas?

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 3:16:29 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Will it restart if you plug and unplug it from your computer? Or does it just completely go non-connected after that?

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 3:40:04 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Here is whats happening.
I tried doing the same steps. Uninstalled everything TPad-related. When I plugged back the TPad to reinstall, my computer's usb wasn't recognizing it. I noticed that when I plugged TPad, the charging battery picture on the right top side of the screen did appear, but stop right after. So I thought that TPad usb stopped working and plugged into the wall to try charging it. It did charge. So I unplugged from the wall and replugged into my computer. It was recognized. Tried to reinstall TPad connection, but the usb debbug option automatically unset itself. I rechecked its box and successfully reinstalled TPad connection. Unplugged to test it and it wasn't working. So I attempt to plug and get its debug but my computer did not recognize it. Re-tried the wall, TPad did not charged. And now nothing seems to work with its usb. Getting really scared here!

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 3:45:16 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
I would power the phone down and power it back on. Sometimes the USB communications or power circuitry on the phone can mess up if it has been cycled through a lot. The other thing you can do is open the back of the phone up and visually inspect the connector going to the phone. It may just be improperly seated or something.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 3:45:34 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
What a confusion. I restarted the phone it did not worked. So I powered off, and plug it into the wall. It turned on and started working again. I cant understand it, it has its own will.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 3:48:40 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
For further use: can I change the frequency or could this be the problem causing the usb shut down?

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 3:50:08 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you might have an intermittent connection, either at the external usb port you are plugging into, or at the internal usb connector that is plugged into the phone. You can try to inspect either of these and see if they are damaged or unseated in anyway.

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 3:52:38 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't change the frequency much. What have you been setting it to? It should stay around 38800. It's possible that if you set it to a very low frequency the amplifier on board is shorting out and this is triggering a power draw on the USB connection, but that seems unlikely.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 4:04:50 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
I set it to 38000

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 4:19:08 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
The TPad itself won't work at that frequency, but the connection to the board should still be fine.

Gabriel Figueiredo

Jun 4, 2015, 4:19:26 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Opened the TPad and it really seemed to be a bit unseated. Pushed the phone into the port and now everything seems fine. Thank for the help!

Craig Shultz

Jun 4, 2015, 4:22:51 PM6/4/15
to tpad-tabl...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Hope everything is working now as intended!