Beta testing

Daniel Mietchen

Mar 1, 2012, 7:30:15 AM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, Lyubomir Penev
Dear all,

I am currently visiting Pensoft Publishers (
http://www.pensoft.net/ ),
who are interested in using Total Impact metrics on their journal articles.

Any pointers as to what to do to become beta testers or otherwise
contribute (e.g. core code, code review, plugins)?

Thanks and cheers,

Daniel

--
Daniel Mietchen
http://evomri.net

Dario Taraborelli

Mar 1, 2012, 10:18:09 AM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, total-...@googlegroups.com, Lyubomir Penev
One of the ideas Jason and I were discussing last week is a technical sheet to allow both content and usage data providers to expose data in a format that would make it easier for TI to access it. If we cannot get publishers to write plugins by themselves or to develop usage APIs least we can ask them to make their HTML stable and semantic enough to facilitate scraping.

Incidentally I'm pushing CKAN/TheDataHub to do the same, will keep you posted on any progress.

Dario

Aliaksandr Birukou

Mar 1, 2012, 10:23:36 AM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, Lyubomir Penev
One of solutions could be to ask them to use meta-tags, as Google Scholar does for those who want to be scholar-indexed:
http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/inclusion.html#indexing - please configure it to export bibliographic data in HTML "<meta>" tags. Google Scholar supports Highwire Press tags (e.g., citation_title), Eprints tags (e.g., eprints.title), BE Press tags (e.g., bepress_citation_title), and PRISM tags (e.g., prism.title).

Heather Piwowar

Mar 1, 2012, 10:30:48 AM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Mietchen, Lyubomir Penev
Daniel and Lyubomir, this is great news!

(Lyubomir, I believe we met at the Dryad board meeting in July?  Nice to meet you again in this context.)

Would Pensoft like to embed total-impact stats on its web pages?  We are in the midst of pulling total-impact's api into a form where it can scale to this sort of use.  Check out the in-progress spec here:  http://bit.ly/yl36BU

Our plan is to release this in mid-May.  Offers of testing are VERY welcome :)

Of immediate help:  have a look at the spec above and let us know what you think, is this how Pensoft would like to consume total-impact, etc.

Also of immediate help:  as Dario mentions, start working to expose Pensoft download stats, ideally via an API, so that they can be easily consumed by total-impact.

We will definitely be in touch as we get something ready to test.... also happy to Skype etc to talk more?

Heather

--
Heather Piwowar

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
  studying research data sharing and reuse
  remotely from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
http://researchremix.org
@researchremix

Dario Taraborelli

Mar 1, 2012, 10:37:02 AM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, total-...@googlegroups.com, Lyubomir Penev
Agreed, and we would also need some kind of tags or microformats for usage data. The challenge is going to be how to establish the freshness of this data if they don't come with a "last updated" timestamp.

Heather Piwowar

Mar 1, 2012, 2:03:11 PM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, total-...@googlegroups.com, Lyubomir Penev

Cool.  I've added a user story for a best practice how-to guide to our product backlog (http://bit.ly/wWeuHA).

in...@pensoft.net

Mar 1, 2012, 2:11:02 PM3/1/12
to hpiw...@gmail.com, total-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Mietchen
Hi Heather!

Yes, we did meet in Vancouver in July. I didn't know you are active in Total-impact, too.

Yes, Pensoft is very interested to pilot Total-impact when the things come to the level of (nearly) industry standard. We also plan to launch our brand new publishing platform in July. So, this is the right time for testing... :-)

Good idea about the download stats. We shall discuss here how to approach the collaboration with Total-impact. You may relay on our interest  and support in that!

Best regards,
Lyubo
--
Prof. Dr. Lyubomir Penev
Managing Director

in...@pensoft.net

Mar 1, 2012, 2:14:42 PM3/1/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com, Pensoft Publishers
Just in case, I am sending the link to our current Web services, available for each different  journals. For the moment, we use the Google Scholar metatags, RSS, OAI-PMH and MODS:

http://www.pensoft.net/page.php?P=25&SESID=a95a1915861ef09d34a75e1f46f50068

Best regards,
Lyubo

Heather Piwowar

Mar 1, 2012, 2:20:29 PM3/1/12
to in...@pensoft.net, total-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Mietchen
Lyubo,

I am indeed!  :)  For me it is a natural and necessary step with respect to data sharing incentives.

Question for you: May we mention publicly that Pensoft has expressed interest in working with total-impact?  (This is a public mailing list, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask anyway....)

We are making a few pitches for various things, and naming organizations who have come to us is very powerful.  We won't commit you to anything, I promise ;)

Looking forward to talking about download stats and testing.

Heather

in...@pensoft.net

Mar 2, 2012, 4:01:26 AM3/2/12
to total-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Heather,

Of course you can mention that Pensoft has expressed an interest in Totalimpact - because... we are really interested! :-)

I would like to confirm that I would be willing to implement the system on our forthcoming journal platform, as a part of our article-level metrics page, in case we manage to elaborate together an industry-standard workflow.

Best regards,
Lyubo

Heather Piwowar

Mar 3, 2012, 12:02:02 AM3/3/12