TortoiseSVN with TortoiseHg

R Seeker

Jul 29, 2010, 6:46:02 AM7/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Can you use both TortoiseSVN and TortoiseHg on the same system? Do they play well together (assuming you don't try to use both of them for the same project)?

Thanks.

Simon Large

Jul 29, 2010, 7:10:47 AM7/29/10
On 29 July 2010 11:46, R Seeker <radianc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you use both TortoiseSVN and TortoiseHg on the same system?  Do they play well together (assuming you don't try to use both of them for the same project)?

Yes you can. They are independent apps but recent versions use a
common overlay handler called TortoiseOverlays which avoids the
limitation with the number of overlays that windows can handle.

Simon

--
:       ___
:  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2640141

R Seeker

Jul 29, 2010, 7:22:53 AM7/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks for the quick answer.

How recent should they be to use the common overlay handler? I have TortoiseSVN 1.6.8, Build 19260 - 64 Bit and tortoisehg-1.0.4-hg-1.5.4-x64.msi (not installed yet).

If I can use what I have that would be best for me (I'm bandwidth-constrained) but I'll upgrade if I have to.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2640145

Simon Large

Jul 29, 2010, 10:13:01 AM7/29/10
On 29 July 2010 12:22, R Seeker <radianc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer.
>
> How recent should they be to use the common overlay handler? I have TortoiseSVN 1.6.8, Build 19260 - 64 Bit and tortoisehg-1.0.4-hg-1.5.4-x64.msi (not installed yet).
>
> If I can use what I have that would be best for me (I'm bandwidth-constrained) but I'll upgrade if I have to.

Those should be fine.

Simon

--
:       ___
:  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
:   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
:   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2640287

R Seeker

Jul 29, 2010, 10:56:47 PM7/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Those should be fine.

Thanks very much, Simon!

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2640489

Mark Mikofski

Nov 3, 2011, 2:56:08 PM11/3/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Simon Large
This is my first post, so first of all I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the TortoiseSVN developers. Thank you!

I have TortoiseHg 2.1.4 and TortoiseSVN 1.7.1 both installed on windows XP SP3, and they are both working functionally, but there is a problem with the explorer shell sub context menu icons.

If I only install TortoiseHg the context menu icons for TortoiseHg display correctly.

If I install both, in any order, then the top level of context menu icons for TortoiseHg are shifted to the left so that they are barely visible. The context menu icons for TortoiseSVN display correctly.

I have posted this on the bitbucket page for TortoiseHg:
https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg/issue/1364/context-menus-icons-do-not-display

I saw this once in a previous version of TortoiseSVN, and found this related post here:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=48593

Evidently there was also a similar conflict between TortoiseGit and TortoiseSVN reported here:
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/issues/detail?id=916

I tried to change the ContextMenuVersion value from 2 to 1 in HKCU/Software/TortoiseHg but that caused my computer to hang on start-up after login and the initial windows xp start-up screen, and so I reverted. Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing, I just read something similar in another post.

In all other ways both seem to be operated fine, it's just the TortoiseHg context menu icons that are affected.

Thanks again,
Mark

> On 29 July 2010 11:46, R Seeker <radianceseeker at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Can you use both TortoiseSVN and TortoiseHg on the same system?  Do they play well together (assuming you don't try to use both of them for the same project)?
> >

> Yes you can. They are independent apps but recent versions use a
> common overlay handler called TortoiseOverlays which avoids the
> limitation with the number of overlays that windows can handle.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> :       ___
> :  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
> : (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
> :   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> :   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2872509

Stefan Küng

Nov 3, 2011, 3:30:37 PM11/3/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Mark Mikofski
On 03.11.2011 19:56, Mark Mikofski wrote:
> This is my first post, so first of all I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the TortoiseSVN developers. Thank you!
>
> I have TortoiseHg 2.1.4 and TortoiseSVN 1.7.1 both installed on windows XP SP3, and they are both working functionally, but there is a problem with the explorer shell sub context menu icons.
>
> If I only install TortoiseHg the context menu icons for TortoiseHg display correctly.
>
> If I install both, in any order, then the top level of context menu icons for TortoiseHg are shifted to the left so that they are barely visible. The context menu icons for TortoiseSVN display correctly.
>
> I have posted this on the bitbucket page for TortoiseHg:
> https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg/issue/1364/context-menus-icons-do-not-display
>
> I saw this once in a previous version of TortoiseSVN, and found this related post here:
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=48593
>
> Evidently there was also a similar conflict between TortoiseGit and TortoiseSVN reported here:
> http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/issues/detail?id=916
>
> I tried to change the ContextMenuVersion value from 2 to 1 in HKCU/Software/TortoiseHg but that caused my computer to hang on start-up after login and the initial windows xp start-up screen, and so I reverted. Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing, I just read something similar in another post.
>
> In all other ways both seem to be operated fine, it's just the TortoiseHg context menu icons that are affected.

It's a bug in THg, but I thought it was already fixed?
Maybe it's only fixed in the beta? Not sure though...

The problem is that THg doesn't do the context menu icons correctly on
Win7, so Windows reverts back to the old format (try it yourself: make a
screenshot of the context menu without THg menus at all, then one with
those menus and compare the screenshots).

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2872518

Mark Mikofski

Nov 3, 2011, 7:42:48 PM11/3/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Stefan Küng
Thanks for your quick reply!

Is the bug also for XP SP3? I am running XP SP3, not Win7, so I don't think your response applies to me. The context menus look the same with and without THG.

I figured out how to hide the THG context menus for non Hg folders, that helps since I mostly use TSVN.

I didn't actually think it was a TSVN bug, but since THG is fine by itself, and it's only after installing TSVN that the context menu icons get pushed off the page, I thought I should alert you. I also have posted on the THG bitbucket issue page, but I haven't heard anything from them. Perhaps you could use your influence?

Thanks again! Everyday I am learning something new about TSVN that makes me appreciate it more.

p.s. I am also currently working on a plug-in for a web-hosted issue tracker. I will screen it with you before it goes live.

- Mark

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2872575