Setup Error writing to file mfc90.dll

Flo Bräuer

Mar 4, 2009, 6:45:41 PM3/4/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
good night to everybody.

i have an HP Pavilion tx2000 (tablet book) and i tried to install
TortoiseSVN-1.5.9.15518-win32-svn-1.5.6.msi on this vista32 notebook, but there appeared an error message with which i don't get ahead.

the installation process stopped at "copying the files" and a message
says:
"Error writing to file: mfc90.dll.
Verify that you have access to that directory."

i downloaded the installation file once more and restarted my notebook.
with sysInternals process monitor i checked if another application used mfc90.dll - without success.

i attached a screenshot and hope you can help me as soon as possible, because i need this great tool for project work.

with regards,
florian

tortoise.jpg

Stefan Küng

Mar 5, 2009, 2:40:42 AM3/5/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

* if you have UAC turned off, turn it on and try again.
* disable your virus scanner for the installation - a lot of those
*!?*%& tools think they have to block access to the system folders
without notice

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Flo Bräuer

Mar 8, 2009, 5:33:00 AM3/8/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> * if you have UAC turned off, turn it on and try again.
> * disable your virus scanner for the installation - a lot of those
> *!?*%& tools think they have to block access to the system folders
> without notice
>
> Stefan

I turned UAC on, disabled my ESET Antivirus, Firewall and Spam Protector... now I get a question from UAC if I want to accept the Tortoise SVN Setup, but the Error with the "mfc90" File is still there.

Later on I disabled also the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender but nothing work :( I can't install Tortoise SVN :(

Do You have any Idea?
Regards Flo

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1287920

Stefan Küng

Mar 8, 2009, 11:58:13 AM3/8/09
Flo Bräuer wrote:
>> * if you have UAC turned off, turn it on and try again. * disable
>> your virus scanner for the installation - a lot of those *!?*%&
>> tools think they have to block access to the system folders without
>> notice
>>
>> Stefan
>
> I turned UAC on, disabled my ESET Antivirus, Firewall and Spam
> Protector... now I get a question from UAC if I want to accept the
> Tortoise SVN Setup, but the Error with the "mfc90" File is still
> there.
>
> Later on I disabled also the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender
> but nothing work :( I can't install Tortoise SVN :(
>
> Do You have any Idea? Regards Flo

yes, format your harddrive and get rid of all the pre-installed crap :)

Seriously: in my experience simply disabling antivirus/firewalls doesn't
work properly - there's always something that stays enabled. And some of
those bastards won't even uninstall properly.
A little story: a while back when I was still using XP on a (now very
outdated) laptop I had a hd crash. So after getting a new drive I
installed a fresh copy of XP, and as a second step I installed a
firewall tool (very popular, and for reasons beyond me it still is).
After that I wanted to install visual studio. Well, I *wanted*, but the
firewall wouldn't let me: it immediately replaced files that the VS
installer replaced in the system32 folder again with the 'original'
versions. Ok, so I disabled the firewall. No luck. I uninstalled the
firewall - still no luck. A web search showed that the uninstaller would
not remove everything (since it attached itself so deep in the OS that
it couldn't remove itself anymore).
All that I was left with was to format the hd and install XP again.
Needless to say that this was the last time I *ever* installed a
firewall or virus scanner ever again.

The error message you get is clear: the installer tries to copy a
required (and even digitally signed by MS!) file to the system and
something doesn't allow that. You have to find out what this is - I
can't help you here, sorry.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1289956

signature.asc

Flo Bräuer

Mar 8, 2009, 12:33:13 PM3/8/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> yes, format your harddrive and get rid of all the pre-installed crap :)

* Hehe. Thank you very much. I thought that my firewall from ESET is one of the "Good" which is well configurable :)

> Needless to say that this was the last time I *ever* installed a firewall or virus scanner ever again.

* So, how do you protect yourself on a Windows system without everything?

> The error message you get is clear: the installer tries to copy a required (and even digitally signed by MS!) file to the system and something doesn't allow that. You have to find out what this is - I can't help you here, sorry.

* Do you think that a Windows App disabled the access or an other proprietary software? On other Vista system there weren't problems like this before? So it has to be an external firewall? Thank you a lot :)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1290135

Stefan Küng

Mar 8, 2009, 12:42:41 PM3/8/09
Flo Bräuer wrote:
>> yes, format your harddrive and get rid of all the pre-installed
>> crap :)
>
> * Hehe. Thank you very much. I thought that my firewall from ESET is
> one of the "Good" which is well configurable :)

I haven't seen a 'good' one ever. And even though I don't use those
myself, we have them in our company, so I know quite a few of them
better than I like...

>> Needless to say that this was the last time I *ever* installed a
>> firewall or virus scanner ever again.
>
> * So, how do you protect yourself on a Windows system without
> everything?

By using my brain:
* keep Windows and apps up to date (i.e., not waiting months to install
bugfixes and service packs)
* using different browsers to surf the web
* not surfing to well known 'bad' sites (we all know what those are)
* have Vista UAC turned on (I really don't know what people complain
about: once you've set up everything as you like it, you rarely get an
UAC prompt - and if you do it's important that you get one)
* if I have to install something I have a bad feeling about, I use a VM
and install it there first, then check the system with monitoring tools
to make sure the tool/app/whatever behaves itself
* from time to time, boot directly from a special CD which has a virus
scanner on it with the latest signatures and scan the whole harddrive -
but I'm doing that for five years now and I never had a virus ever

>> The error message you get is clear: the installer tries to copy a
>> required (and even digitally signed by MS!) file to the system and
>> something doesn't allow that. You have to find out what this is - I
>> can't help you here, sorry.
>
> * Do you think that a Windows App disabled the access or an other
> proprietary software? On other Vista system there weren't problems
> like this before? So it has to be an external firewall? Thank you a
> lot :)

Yes, a proper Vista install would not deny an msi access to the system
folders if run as admin.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1290160

signature.asc

Flo Bräuer

Mar 9, 2009, 9:14:40 AM3/9/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
That's really disappointing.

My firewall is completely disabled. I updated to a newer version and searched for additional Firewall apps from my computer-producer HP.

I watched all my running processes while the setup and saw nothing which can block something.

For the Installer there is only the message: "FAST I/O DISALLOWED" and "FILE NOT FOUND"

Can you please look at the attached screenshots. I think that must be an error in the Tortoise Setup or caused by the Windows Installer.

Thanks Flo

fast io sxs.jpg
fast io vc90mfc.jpg
not found msvcr90.jpg

Stefan Küng

Mar 9, 2009, 9:22:06 AM3/9/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

???
It works on every computer but yours, and you really assume that it's
TSVN's fault ???

run the installation from the command line:
msiexec /i TortoiseSVN...msi /lv log.txt

you'll get a logfile with everything the msi did.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1296038

signature.asc

gilgoldm

Sep 12, 2011, 4:24:00 AM9/12/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
it happend to me with version 1.6.1.6 (64bit)then i've installed 1.6.1.5 and
it worked.
not sure why .
i've installed an older version

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2837460