Jetson TK1 for development

Jack

Mar 31, 2015, 4:12:38 PM3/31/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I am learning ins and outs of Torch and Deep Learning. I would like to start using more complex models and take advantage of CuDNN and fbcunn. Unfortunately I have access only to a bit outdated GPU machine at work (GeForce GTX 480) and I do not have a CUDA capable machine at home. Therefore was thinking about getting a NVIDIA Jetson TK1.

Does anyone has any experience with Jetson? Do you think it is usable for development? What about training? Would you rather connect a keyboard and a display or work remotely? Can torch, cunn, fbcunn be compiled and used on this machine (I have only worked on x86 systems)?

Thanks,
J.

Ajay Talati

Mar 31, 2015, 7:43:56 PM3/31/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
I'm very interested in this too - would be great for making toys for the the kids :))))

It's not that expensive either !!

Eugenio Culurciello

Mar 31, 2015, 8:13:36 PM3/31/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
I recommend the odroid c1 (35$) for small deployments, and odroid u3 (70$) for slightly larger. it is much cheaper than the tk1

Ajay Talati

Mar 31, 2015, 8:26:26 PM3/31/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eugenio,

so have you got Torch to work on these boards, I guess so?

May I ask how many hours I can expect to put in to get some basic code running on them?

Regards,

Aj

soumith

Mar 31, 2015, 11:39:59 PM3/31/15
to torch7 on behalf of Ajay Talati
@Ajay: For Jetson, there are ready to use instructions already (written by Eugenio's group): https://github.com/e-lab/torch-toolbox/blob/master/Tutorials/Setup-Torch-cuDNN-on-Jetson-TK1.md

Ajay Talati

Apr 1, 2015, 7:26:37 AM4/1/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
@Soumith - SUPERCOOL :)))

Thanks man, I can't wait to get this this going. It's going to be awesome.

I used to work in stochastic filtering and control - I always hoped something like this would come along eventually :)

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 4:39:59 AM UTC+1, smth chntla wrote:
@Ajay: For Jetson, there are ready to use instructions already (written by Eugenio's group): https://github.com/e-lab/torch-toolbox/blob/master/Tutorials/Setup-Torch-cuDNN-on-Jetson-TK1.md

Vinayak Gokhale

Apr 2, 2015, 12:28:36 PM4/2/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
@Ajay,

Both Odroid boards come with Lubuntu installed (if you purchase the eMMC) and the ezinstall script works just fine. The U3 takes about an hour to install and the C1 takes about 2.

P.S these numbers are from my (pretty short) long term memory so they may be off but not by a lot. :P

Ajay Talati

Apr 23, 2015, 11:35:16 PM4/23/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com
@ Vinayak

Hey very sorry for the late reply - somehow this thread showed up as read?

Thanks a lot for the info on the Odroid boards - this is actually my kids project, and its been really good weather lately so they've lost interest?

I'll be looking into setting this up soon though.

Best,

Aj