Overtrain a CNN?

Johnny ho

Nov 24, 2015, 10:30:47 PM11/24/15
to torch7

This may sound silly: will the CNN overtrain? From what I have seen so far, having many epochs and parameters are the key of success of CNN. And there is almost nothing I found is about overtrain a CNN.

However, I have encountered some issue with my dataset. I keep training for a long number epochs and the training accuracy is increasing. However, my validation set accuracy increases at first and then start to decrease after ~20 epochs (i ran for about 30 epochs).

Is this the problem of my dataset? Or I did something wrong? Or I overtrain the CNN?

I implemented my CNN in torch.

soumith

Nov 25, 2015, 2:10:53 AM11/25/15
to torch7 on behalf of Johnny ho
Yes, CNNs can get to 100% accuracy easily on a small dataset.

Johnny ho

Nov 25, 2015, 4:31:21 AM11/25/15
to torch7
THanks for the reply. What do you mean by small? You mean the number of class (e.g. 2) or the number of training example (I have about 100k)?