Torch installation without sudo

Zhishang Wang

Dec 30, 2017, 9:09:05 AM12/30/17
to torch7

Hey everyone,

I was trying to install Torch without sudo on ubuntu, however I could not run the 'bash install-deps' with no 'sudo' privilege.

Is there step by step instruction, or any advice that I can refer to?

Thank you very much!

Partha Das

Jan 7, 2018, 2:32:29 PM1/7/18
to torch7
Unfortunately, since the dependencies are pulled from the Ubuntu repository, you would need to have sudo rights to install the dependencies. Quickest way would be to ask you admin to install them for you. You can find the list in the install-deps script under the Ubuntu section. If, however, you are unable to get that arranged, there are two ways of possibly getting around around it:

1) Try making a fake root environment and manually installing the deb packages. You can refer here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/339/how-can-i-install-a-package-without-root-access

2) Manually install the dependencies locally. This is probably easier way of the two, as the previous one is a lot more involved and most software come with instructions about installing from source. You can do this for CUDA and Gcc too. You might need it, since CUDA 9.0 doesn't work with torch and anything higher than gcc-5 breaks CUDA compilation. (Although there are ways to get around that too ;) )

I would recommend that you check which packages are already installed in the system, since a lot of the packages come pre-installed on dev environments. Good luck!

James Vincent

Jan 15, 2018, 10:33:55 AM1/15/18
to torch7

Has anyone successfully installed torch completely without sudo rights, including all dependencies?

We have the same problem.

Walker Rowe

Jan 30, 2018, 11:39:38 PM1/30/18
to torch7
Worked find for me.  Only odd think is it asked me to login again when it opened another bash shell:  bash install-deps

James V

Jan 31, 2018, 6:22:32 AM1/31/18
to torch7
What worked fine? What OS did you install on? If it was OS X are you already admin? You would not notice then.

If it was some Linux flavor, which one and exactly what did you do? Does you system happen t already have all the dependencies required? The install-deps script is filled with sudo commands.

As far as I can tell it is not possible to install Torch on a clean base OS without admin privileges or some very Herculean effort to install all the dependencies from source, in a non-standard location. I am unable to find any evidence that someone has actually done this even though many people seem to be looking for a solution.